In need of a sprite sheet type plugin

Hmm.....

I don't know the name of what I'm looking for.....

Um, I need some help. I'm not sure if I can ask this here so I apologize in advance.

I'm looking for a plugin that helps me in sprite editing.....OK, not specifically sprite-based but it's similar. The thing I'm looking for is something specific so I'll try my best to explain it.

I have this image sheet I'm working on (see here). Each image is in the same spot inside a 32x32 square and each one has a different color for each image on the same row.

Now, here's what I'm looking for. Let's say that after I finished applying the colors, I noticed an error in pixel placements for one of the images. To fix the error, I have to either:

• Fix the base image, copy-paste the base over the old images and reapply the colors.
  • OR
  • Go to each and every image on the same row to apply the fix.

Both take quite a bit of time to do, especially in the future as I'm planning to do more than 80 different colors.

The plugin I want is something that allows me to select one or more pixels on the base image and the plugin automatically selects the same pixels on the same row as the base image.

So for example, if I select the pixel located at [7,14] in a 32x32 square, the plugin (after being told the base dimensions) selects the pixels at [39,14], [71,14], [103,14] and so on until the end of the row.

Having something like this will really help me cut down on the time spent editing.

So, does one of the plugins in this index already do that or not?

Edited by NeoSpearBlade

To my knowledge there isn't a plugin which will do what you want.

You could see if this one is any use spritesheet animation

• 1 month later...

Hey, sorry for the VERY late reply. ^_^'

I checked that plugin you mentioned. It doesn't do what I described above, it does exactly what the title says, animates a sprite sheet. Might be useful in the future but it's not what I'm looking for.

So, I guess I have to wait until either someone creates a plugin with the effect that I explained above or I make it myself and both ain't gonna happen anytime soon. *sigh* :sad:

Plugins cannot add to or change a selection. If you write something yourself you're going to have to calculate the offset to the target pixel(s) and write directly to it/them.

Would the same color be used in changes to all rows or columns? If so you might be able to put the recolored pixel on a new layer then use the Pannelling plugin to tile the pixel across and down.

Here's a somewhat convoluted method that might work (but might be more trouble than it's worth, too):

1. Download these two plugins - http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=31670 http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=17516

2. Use the animation helper plugin to save the frames as separate .png files.

3. Open a new image and go to Layers>Import from file... and select all the file you created. This will open them all in their own layers in one file. Check the layers window to make sure they are in order.

You should now see all the frames overlapping each other. Check/uncheck layer visibility as needed while you work.

4. Once you are done with editing, use the PNG sprite matrix plugin to save it as a sprite sheet again.

I'm not sure if that's any easier than what you are doing now, but unless someone makes a new plugin to do what you are asking, that's the best workaround I could come up with.

EDIT: that wasn't particularly helpful. I'd try what EER suggested instead.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo