How to View/Edit Multiple Images on the Same Screen?

I did a lot of searching on this subject before posting, but I could only find very old messages with no resolutions.

I am used to working in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, even Magic Viewer, and being able to view, manipulate and edit multiple images at the same time, with each in a window on the same program screen. This  common Windows format allows seamless cut-n-paste, color-matching, selection sharing, etc. - we may have 5-10 images, or more, all on the screen and being edited and manipulated at the same time.

From what I can see from using the program, and what my research suggests, Paint.NET does not seem to support this, and only allows a single image to be shown at any one time, and uses a Tab format to switch between single images. i.e. there is no "windowed' support.

Is there a method to enable multiple-image, "windowed" viewing, a plugin, etc. I can use or am I stuck with one image at a time?

I love the program otherwise, and was evaluating it as a possible solution for an educational program, but this "one image at a time" limitation is kind of a deal killer.

Paint.NET is designed to view a single image at a time and Rick (the developer) has no plans to change that.

If the "one image at a time" is a "deal killer", I'm afraid you'll just have to look elsewhere.

I'm sure you'll be back when you've tried all the other free image editors... and discover that "one image at a time" really isn't that big of an inconvenience.

Nope, if there is a requirement for 5-10+ images on the screen at the same time, it truly is a deal killer and I will have to keep the search going.

Thanks for confirming the program limitation and saving me some time, it's appreciated.

You can already do this as long as you don't need them all in the same project at once.  Just open each one instead of adding as another layer and the thumbnails all line up across the top. Then all you have to do is click whichever one you want to work on. I like this better because it doesn't clutter up the work space. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

• 5 years later...