Easy way to remove people from a static picture

Meanwhile, since many modern cameras offer the ability to remove people from a series of images (mainly for holiday pictures without tourist in the picture), I do not think that someone will make here the effort. But you never know...
If it's all about a single image or a single person, it is advisable to practice using the Clone stamp :CloneStampTool:. Thus one can achieve very good results, if you do it not mechanically.

• Upvote 1

That wouldn't really work as a paint.net plugin, as plugins can only work with one image (and one layer) at a time.

You'll want to look for a standalone tool to do this.

I think some sort of complex algorithm is needed to code that...

You may be right, but I think it may be as simple as using statistical math. Assuming you have a large enough sample of images, the statistical mode for each pixel should be the correct color for that pixel.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Filetypes can access every layer. You could 'export' a corrected single layer.

This isn't a Photoshop forum, though.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 3 weeks later...

If you open one image, then drag the rest in and select add layers, then you would be working on "one" image, right? So a plungin would be able to differentiate the layers and look for similarities. Should be "easy", right?

^ True of Effect or Adjustment plugins.

Filetypes can access every layer. You could 'export' a corrected single layer.

As for it being 'easy'. Yeah. Sure it is. Let us know when it's ready 'k? :lol:

Gimp did it, but they've since changed their platform and I can't figure out how it's done now. It use to do the same as what Photoshop does, just lasso a part you want to remove and then click "Heal". But that has gone away as far as I can tell. That makes me sad, as I used it often!

Hello. :)

This is an interesting plugin, but I don't think it really does exactly what you want :http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13595-fill-gaps-v10/

You can sort of do things manually or use other methods.....

There is the clone stamp tool.
Here are two old, but helpful, videos about using paint.net's Clone Stamp Tool. Video 1 Video 2
The videos might be old, but the clone stamp tool still works about the same. The main difference is the brush in the current paint.net has a soft/hardness (which is a good thing. You can make the brush's edge very soft for better blending). For older versions of paint.net, I don't know if you could get the source from another layer, but you can in the current paint.net. What I mean is, you can choose the clone stamp tool, click your source on your photo, then add a new layer, and start drawing/cloning. This feature is also mentioned in the documentation.

Here is a good video, but I don't know how much it will help you, because it is actually a video for photoshop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifhEx4adAa8. However, the concept and methods used in the video are mostly applicable in paint.net too.

The video uses layers, the clone stamp tool, the color picker/eye dropper tool, and the paintbrush tool. Paint.net has those things.
And where the video talks about the pen tool/path tool, you can substitute with paint.net's line/curve tool. For the areas you want to select, make a new layer and then trace/outline those areas with the line curve tool, then once you have your areas outlined, use the magic wand tool to make your selection. Once you have a selection, add a new layer to clone stamp on/paint on.
Tracing/outlining is demonstrated in these background removal tutorials : Tut1, Tut2, MiniTuts.

If the photoshop video confuses you more than helps you, since it is showing photoshop instead of paint.net, then never mind it.

If you can't get the clone stamp tool to give you what you want, here is an alternative method : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/19117-the-subterranean-copypaste-blues/

(if you really want to try gimp, I think the thing you want was related to something called "heal selection". try doing an internet search and you might find what you want.)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles