How To Use Color Range effect

ReMake

Select the Magic Wand ( :MagicWandTool:) in the Tools panel. Tap the Ctrl key and click the Magic Wand inside each of the painted parts of the car.

Easy alternative: Click anywhere on the transparent background with the Shift key held down (globally selects all the background). Then invert the selection with Ctrl + I

• Upvote 2

WOW! Sky's the limit with this plugin!    ;)

Thank you for sharing these examples, ReMake!   :beer:  :pizza:

• Upvote 1

Easy alternative: Click anywhere on the transparent background with the Shift key held down (globally selects all the background). Then invert the selection with Ctrl + I

If there are no artifacts out of a car silhouette only. But artifacts is present almost always.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I had been playing with the plug-in these past few days but couldn't quite figure it out.

The possibilities are endless :)

• Upvote 1

Fabulous tutorial @Remake ...

... The possibilities are endless  :)

@Pixey & @AgentGoodspeed Thanks for responses.

I hope someone will find other possibilities of effect, and then share them.

ReMake!   :star:  :lightning:  :star:

WOW! Very good and easy to follow and apply.  

Thank you soo much for this tutorials.   :beer:  :pizza:

Befor: 

4r9m35kg.png

After:

zwvww4ro.png

• Upvote 3

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Here is my 2nd result of me playing with this Color Range Effect.  It's very clever indeed :) .

th_original%20superman_zpsu2flpsnj.png

BEFORE

gold%20superman_zpsqx2mluz4.png

AFTER

• Upvote 3

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Added link to PDF version of Pleasantville Effect

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Shahdo said:

Interesting tut...but what do you do if your effects does NOT have a color >color range  listing???

You have to download the plugin from the following thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

One more question Null54...there are 2 different versions...not sure which one to select or does it not matter? One is Color Range_en.zip and the other one is Color Range_ru.zip. Don't want to pick the wrong one.

• 1 year later...

ReMake, these were such well made tutorials. To take the time to explain such seemingly little steps that are SO IMPORTANT and SO HELPFUL. You're a wonderful teacher.  These can save someone a lot of frustration and a lot of time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I loved the tutorials- but I had to do them a couple of times to get the results. When completed they looked great! Thanks!

Having said that though, I think that there are a couple of missing steps and it likely would be best to switch the words "tap" to "hold." That would clarify part of it.

Secondly, I am curious about trying this on more complex images. Many of the above images had relatively basic shapes against well contrasted backgrounds. An example is I have an image of a common ordinary garden room. I like rooms like this in real life because I am kinda plant happy.

1408899313_RedFernbp.thumb.png.0f3635ef3ea4e326dd59ac662f5a8804.png

I started by duplicating, switching to the top layer and then starting CRE and selecting red(and just now experimenting with the other colors.) Since the wood in the roof almost has an orange to it I can't seem to isolate the red in the fern no matter how much I play with the sliders.

So, my questions are:

1. Is it just not possible if the foreground object is too close of a color to the background?

2. And what about for complex objects with many contours(such as the fern.) Are there any tricks to manipulating these types of objects?

Thank you in advance for any answers and ideas!

Edited by Apollo702
Corrections

7 hours ago, Apollo702 said:

... and it likely would be best to switch the words "tap" to "hold." That would clarify part of it.

My English isn't good enough. Google translator tells me that hold is correct. I will fix it soon. Thanks for the clarification.

7 hours ago, Apollo702 said:

... Are there any tricks to manipulating these types of objects?

Currently, I have no ideas how to use Color Range effect to achieve your goal. Perhaps someone of the forum members will be able to join this thread and help you.