How To Make An Ice Cube ( Updated On March 17, 2016 )

Nai

There was a time when I wanted to make an ice cube, but put the project on hold. Thanks for this very neat tute! The result looks amazing! JC_clap.gif

• Upvote 1

Very interesting tutorial @Nai - I will be giving it a try soon and thank you :D .

P.S.  The link to the ice image is not working.  I think the colon : is too close to the link - sometimes that messes it up.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

You can apply the texture before running Shape3D, but it needs to be mapped correctly.

P.S.  The link to the ice image is not working.  I think the colon : is too close to the link - sometimes that messes it up.

The protocol notation is wrong. It says http// instead of http://

Ideally, it should be https://

https://pre12.deviantart.net/1605/th/pre/i/2012/039/c/b/ice_texture___2_by_agf81-d4p2kkm.jpg

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I think it might be possible, and perhaps advantageous, to create the back faces of the ice cube by using the feature of Shape3D which allows the faces to be selectively drawn. The checkbox controls for the individual faces are in the first section, below the All Face button.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the feedback, MJW !

It can be achieved by adjusting the transparency of the object, checked that transparency box and adjust the transparency around 185-183.

However, we're still needing Step 6 & Step 7 to create the back face and the base of the ice cube. Because we need different level of brightness and darkness to create that effect.

Edited by Nai

ba2ec8c.png

If each of the three back faces is created on a separate layer using Shape3D's selective drawing feature, the brightness can be individually adjusted.

• Upvote 1

If each of the three back faces is created on a separate layer using Shape3D's selective drawing feature, the brightness can be individually adjusted.

Thank you for that suggestion. Can you show how to do that visually ?

Edited by Nai

ba2ec8c.png

If necessary, but it's essentially just duplicating the texture layer three times, then running Shape3D with the same setup on each layer, except checking only Bottom on one layer, Right (or Left, depending on the cube orientation) on another layer, and Back on the third layer. Now each layer can have the brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. changed, and also the blend modes and transparency. Alternately, the layers can simply be used to obtain the selections for each region, rather than having to create them by hand. My original point, such as it was, is that it's probably easier to let Shape3D determine the shape of the back surfaces than to do it with manual selections.

• Upvote 2

If necessary, but it's essentially just duplicating the texture layer three times, then running Shape3D with the same setup on each layer, except checking only Bottom on one layer, Right (or Left, depending on the cube orientation) on another layer, and Back on the third layer. Now each layer can have the brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. changed, and also the blend modes and transparency. Alternately, the layers can simply be used to obtain the selections for each region, rather than having to create them by hand. My original point, such as it was, is that it's probably easier to let Shape3D determine the shape of the back surfaces than to do it with manual selections.

Thanks ! Updates

will be available as soon as possible.

Edited by Nai
  • Upvote 1

ba2ec8c.png

• 1 month later...

Nai, I've been wanting to try this tutorial.  I've finally made some time to do it.   :D

Here's my try at your 'cool' tutorial!    B)

icecube.png

Thank you for making the tutorial!    :mtdew:  :cake:

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image
  • Upvote 4

lynxster!  

Bravo... vya4fhbe.gif   :cake:  :mtdew:

• Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2016 at 10:33 AM, lynxster4 said:

Nai, I've been wanting to try this tutorial.  I've finally made some time to do it.   :D

Thank you for making the tutorial!    :mtdew:  :cake:

You're welcome ! :-)

ba2ec8c.png

Well, dear @Nai tried some how not with all the plugins you mention, cause the wont work on my version.

but for you i used some other effects.

Btw. good for you on this post.<3:SettingsPlugins24::boo:

Ice2.png