How To Restore Damaged, Old Picture

Nai

Level : Intermediate to Advance User

Plugin :

2. MV Wireworm ( A Photoshop Plugin )

Intro :

There're several ways to restore damaged old picture using Paint.NET. In this tutorial I'll use a combination of MV Wireworm plugin ( just something like healing brush ) and clone stamp to get what do you seen in the after picture.

071d443.png

About MV Wireworm and the great examples : http://vicanek.de/plugins/wireworm.htm

How To Do It :

1. Open a picture ( Thanks Pixie for providing me this sample picture  ! ) in Paint.NET. For this tutorial I cropped some of the area to make my work with clone stamp a lot easier.

2e9bdd3.png

2. Run 8bf filter, then choose MV Wireworm. A small window like this will popped out.

80dd5a5.png

Choose your selection area by clicking the area and bring your cursor as far as you can/want.  

3. Click on the selected area and move your cursor until the selected area 'moving'. Move it until you find an area that matched/suitable. Do the things until you're done with all cracks or dots.

Some good guides about this plugins :

4. After healing all cracks and dots, use clone stamp to recover the disappearing area.

b1572f9.png

Do it until you get the finish product like this :

0b3ed1b.jpg

You can do it better than me. 

All The Best !

( p/s : Pixey, I hope you'll love this post-restoration picture...  :D  <3  <3  <3  )

• Upvote 2

ba2ec8c.png

• 4 weeks later...

Its really an easy to follow tutorial for restoring the damaged old picture. Thank you and as I did find it helpful, I hope everyone will say the same.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I hope it is ok to ask this here....I attempted to download Wireworm and the site is gone.  Is there an equivalent to this plugin available somewhere, or does anyone have it on their site?

• 6 months later...

2 Months ago I have restored my grandfather photo. I have hire image restoration services for this. They charge me only 0.35$. This post is great and really help but I don't have enough knowledge of tools and software that are used for this. Thank You.

• 5 months later...