Color Range Test

ReMake

This plugin can be useful for selecting objects in the image or for creation a color mask of object. The plugin is based on the script of Color Target plugin by rwp80.

See Color Range effect topic.

User Interface:

colorrangeenui.png

Short tutorial (the original image from http://trueimages.ru/img/a2/f3/12/6d5ae ... f9249a.jpg)

1. Open the image, duplicate a layer, deselect the lower layer. With Color Picker ( :ColorPickerTool: ) , define the necessary color.

colorrangel.png

2. Apply the Color Range effect. Use the controls until you get a good result.

colorrangelcr.png

3. Select an object with the Magic Wond ( :MagicWandTool:).

colorrangelsel.png

Invert selection (Ctrl+I) and cut the artefacts (Ctrl+X). Use the Eraser ( :EraserTool:) and Paintbrush ( :PaintBrushTool:), if necessary. Then again select the  object with the Magic Wond ( :MagicWandTool:).

4. Uncheck the top layer, and select the bottom layer. Apply to the selection Hue / Saturation adjustment or Saturation RGB effect.

colorrangelyelefrp.jpg

Compare results:

Before

colorrangered.jpg

After

colorrangeyel.jpg

EDIT: More information see How To Use Color Range effect.

I want to know: is the Brightness Tolerance control is useful? If it's useful, in what range?

Under which submenu of the menu Effects it's necessary to place this effect?

Edited by ReMake
  • Upvote 7

Interesting! Thank you very much, ReMake. Some will know by now that I have a soft spot for "Color" plugins.

Under which submenu of the menu Effects it's necessary to place this effect?

Isn't "Color" the obvious answer?

• Upvote 1

Xkds4Lh.png

... Isn't "Color" the obvious answer?

Perhaps. Let it be Color, unless other proposals.

That is really cool @Remake - it's magical how it works - thank you :beer::pizza: .

ReMake!  :)

Thank you very much.  :cake:  :mtdew:

Thanks for testing and sharing of your works.

I still want to know : is the Brightness Tolerance control is useful?

• Upvote 1

I still want to know : is the Brightness Tolerance control is useful?

I would say it's absolutely critical to have this, as it aids in the fine selection of the area you want to color :) .

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thank you, ReMake! hi.gif It looks like a useful tool and I'll certainly give it a try within these days!

Edit: here's a quick test (I quite like how the recoloring turned out).

Before:

Dodge_Challenger_before_Color_Range.jpg

After:

Dodge_Challenger_after_Color_Range.jpg

Edited by Maximilian
fixed broken links
  • Upvote 4

This is the plugin I'm waiting for ! 

Here are what happened when I'd rather use color range to do Pleasantville Effects :

50cf7a1.png

( Using Black & White Effect on selected area )

131e498.png

It's better than using magic wand alone. Look at what happened when I 'blew up' the picture to 200 % zoom :

bf9d826.png

Still fine and no grotty colour gap/border which always happened when I used magic wand only. 

With this plugin, Paint.NET is able to do the things that Adobe PS does. Congratulations, ReMake !

• Upvote 2

ba2ec8c.png

With this plugin, Paint.NET is able to do the things that Adobe PS does. Congratulations, ReMake !

Yes, this effect is similar to PhotoShop's function Color Range.

Very interesting find, Nai! It's always great when a plugin has more than one possible way to be used :)

I completely agree.

• Upvote 2

There is no need to define the color of the object with a Color Picker and a Color Wheel. In many cases it's enough to choose the color close to color of object from a set of colors. I have added in the User Interface a set of colors. Now the User Interface looks like this.

colorrange21ui.png

See the new version of effect in the first post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I've just discovered the plugin can also be used to make a sketchy outline or stencil of a picture when black is selected. It may work with other colors too, but I feel it works better with black. I'll post an example later today LAieA_008.gif

Maximilian! Excellent work. Well done.   :cake:   :mtdew: 

Thank you, Seerose! LaieA_060.gif

I completely agree.

yes3.gif

• Upvote 1

How about adding up highlights, midtone and shadow to the colour options ?

In the new version they are called White, Grey and Black.

This is probably not the same thing. In the next few days I 'll look into this question.

This is probably not the same thing. In the next few days I 'll look into this question.

Yup, it's something from Adobe PS. 

Anyway, I've tried to adapt high-key glow PS tutorial using white and grey options, and it's give almost similar results. :-)

ba2ec8c.png

Here are two examples of what I mentioned in my previous post. Stencils can also be made with Red ochre's Two Tone Threshold, but the method is different of course. With this plugin I select black as the color, and set the brightness slider to some value around the middle or quite below the middle. It's good to have another plugin to do stencils :)

Example 1:

Jemma_Dallender_Color_Range_Stencil_Comp

Example 2:

Super_Hero_Smiley_Color_Range_Stencil_Co

Edited by Maximilian
fixed broken links
  • Upvote 4