How to Install Plugins ×

Smudge

It should. I've never tested it with nearly that many brushes. I'll look into what's making it take so long.

FYI, brushes in CBM probably load faster because it caches brush thumbnails and loads them in a separate thread while the plugin is running. Implementing this in Smudge may speed it up.

KaHuc.png

If you want brushes to load only in CustomBrushesMini move them to a new subfolder of the Custom Brushes directory with a name starting with an underscore.

Thanks for the tip Simon, I`ll give it a go. :wink:

Pyro - look forward to the fix :)

Just tried loading smudge again after moving my brushes and it seems to be OK now. It loads as fast as any of the other plug ins. Thanks for the help. :wink:

Just one small question left - do I move the Thumbcache file into the new underscored file as well?

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

My source code for Smudge builds and runs fine with Paint.NET 3.5 Alpha, but there's too much potential for breaking changes in the alpha stage and I don't feel like pushing out my own alpha updates every time Rick does. Rick has incentive to update frequently; I do not.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, now that I've tried to finish up my previous artwork, it doesn't do what I expected it to. :(

When smudging a highlight, the tool effectively erases the highlight. The darker color smudges on top of the lighter color, and the lighter color doesn't smudge anywhere. That, and there's a weird "burn" effect on the edges of a smudge when smudging certain colors (areas of shadow, reddish colors, etc.)

It was a good try, though. Might still be helpful, I'llhave to play with it a bit more.

Here's an example of the "burn" that occurs around the edges of the smudge.

Hidden Content:
2rdgi83.png

And here's one of the highlight being gradually erased.

Hidden Content:
333dhmh.png

You can also see the "burn" in that last one, even though it was a highlight being smudged.

Aaaand here's a super-quick speed paint showing both of the problems as I encounter them whilst painting, in a semi-finished pic. It may not appear obvious to everyone, but it's painfully obvious to me as I work with the tool.

Hidden Content:
2ecm3w5.png

Trying to deploy PDN3.5 in an education environment, and have the smudge plugin applied amongst others. Whilst the smudge tool works for an admin user (who has access to the desktop), when I run it under a limited access account (student) it crashes. It can't write the crash log to the desktop for the reasons above, but more details shows the following:

Hidden Content:
File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Smudge.dll

Effect Name: pyrochild.effects.smudge.Smudge

Full error message: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Desktop\pdncrash.log' is denied.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)

at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)

at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)

at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append)

at PaintDotNet.Startup.UnhandledException(Exception ex) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Startup.cs:line 477

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Application_ThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Startup.cs:line 509

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(Exception e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnThreadException(Exception e)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 nCmdShow)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 777

Whilst I haven't tried every plugin we have running, most I have and they haven't crashed yet. Any suggestions?

Wow, you have those computers locked down tight. Ironically, that crash log is not Smudge's, but Paint.NET freaking out because it couldn't write its crash log to the desktop.

The problem is most likely users not having access to their own (My) Documents directory, so if you manually create a folder called 'Custom Brushes' in the 'Paint.NET User Files' folder, it should work. If not, you'll need to grant access to the Desktop so Paint.NET can write its crash log full of useful information :D

EDIT: Oh, you'll need to create a file called 'Sample Brush.png' in Custom Brushes as well. It can be empty (zero-byte), or it can be a legitimate PNG file. Doesn't matter.

xZYt6wl.png

Thanks for the response pyro. With over 700 users, manually creating folders for each user isn't desirable! Users have their own My Documents, which is mapped to a server share (rather than a local profile) - ie: profiles are roaming. I can understand PDN freaking out that it can't write the log file, however the program largely works fine (as do other plugins).

I can't see access to "Paint.NET User Files" being an issue somehow, as they can write to their own unique My Documents area. It seems, from what you say, an issue specifically with custom brushes - do we need this? Can we not disable it? I don't think our users would need custom brushes anyway! If not, I can see if I can enable access to the desktop and allow it to write its log.

I tried it, was still the same. I was guessing there had to be another factor (I never thought the plugin was faulty, as I had it working fine elsewhere).

Interestingly, for this user, it wasn't creating the user files folder at all (I would expect it to). Turns out, quite amusingly, that the particular account I was testing with had ran out of disk space, so PDN was unable to write the user files folder to their area :lol:

Pretty comical! More space, seems to be ok - just my luck! I guess it was just unfortunate that the smudge tool was one of the few I tested which needed to write the custom brush! Nevermind.

Out of curiosity (and I have applied it as well), how does the revised plugin you attached just now differ?

The difference is that this one, if it can't create the Custom Brushes dir and sample brush, it should fail gracefully. If it's still crashing, you need to (at least temporarily) enable access to the Desktop so Paint.NET can write its crash log so I can find out what's going on with Smudge.

xZYt6wl.png