How to Install Plugins ×

Smudge

pyrochild

58 minutes ago, null54 said:

I am not able to reproduce that crash.

Here is a new build (version 4.1.8656.35967) with a PDB file, which should give me the line numbers for that crash.

Smudge_41Beta.zip 87.85 kB · 1 download

Tried to debug it myself. `e.Brush` is null for me in this line. I don't have any brushes. Dropdown is empty. It looks for "Smudge Brushes" folder in "paint.net User Files" which I don't have.

using (Surface brushsource = e.Brush.GetSurface(e.BrushWidth))

Exception details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at pyrochild.effects.smudge.SmudgeRenderer.OnMouseDown(QueuedToolEventArgs le) in D:\src\pdn-smudge\Smudge\SmudgeRenderer.cs:line 158
   at pyrochild.effects.common.QueuedToolRenderer.Render() in D:\src\pdn-smudge\Smudge\QueuedToolRenderer\QueuedToolRenderer.cs:line 116
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

57 minutes ago, otuncelli said:

Tried to debug it myself. `e.Brush` is null for me in this line. I don't have any brushes. Dropdown is empty. It looks for "Smudge Brushes" folder in "paint.net User Files" which I don't have.

Both of those issues should be fixed. Smudge now ignores a null brush when rendering and will create the brushes folder if it does not exist.

Smudge_41Beta.zip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

2 minutes ago, null54 said:

Both of those issues should be fixed. Smudge now ignores a null brush when rendering and will create the brushes folder if it does not exist.

Works fine for me now 👍

FYI, @mickiebon

Works in 5.0.9!  Same newest plugin doesn't show up in 4.3.12 though, but that is not important now. I checked Photoshop 2024 (desktop) v25.0 and it doesn't have your amazing power and simplicity! Photoshop has this monstrous Liquify feature set geared for correcting the clothes and faces of photo models and it runs slow on my PC.

Pyrochild's Smudge however is simple, fast and is excellent for art & painting!!

1.  It can use brushes as PNG directly, in an instant(!!), so I can create any kind of custom brush. Latest Photoshop v25 cannot as it requires a painfully slow and tiring brush-defining and creating process.

2. Your Smudge filter is fast. Latest Photoshop  v25 is slow

3. Your Smudge filter can create amazing paint-backgrounds with your superb JITTER feature: similar to the way how real physical painters achieve a background with their physical brushes held in hand in seconds!!

Latest Photoshop v25 needs a special large noise brush (with scattering, noise, pen tilt, brush angle etc..) created just for this purpose, and it produces a somewhat similar effect to yours but SLOWLY. And as I try to smudge in more black from the edge of my (dark-edged) original photo, it bugs out by producing by starting to ERASE the image pixels and only leave the white-black transparent checkerboard!!

So I can create a real painting background in seconds, without bugs like Photoshop v25 produces. Just like how painters teach basic skills. I got this technique from an old face-painting tutorial. IIRC: He did it with oil.  Your filter can do that, while its a pain to try to emulate your Amazing Smudge Filter Functionality in Photoshop v25, which even bugs out during the process!

WOW! You built a better smudge filter than latest Photoshop has with their dozens-of-millions of dollars development budget.

Edited by sogun

7 hours ago, sogun said:

I checked Photoshop 2024 (desktop) v25.0 and it doesn't have your amazing power and simplicity! Photoshop has this monstrous Liquify feature set geared for correcting the clothes and faces of photo models and it runs slow on my PC.

Smudge and Liquify are different tools (although they have some similarities).

Photoshop's Smudge tool is accessed from the toolbar and works directly on the canvas, see https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/tool-techniques/smudge-tool.html.

IIRC Photoshop's Liquify tool opens its own dialog, similar to the Paint.NET Smudge and Liquify effects.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait