How to Install Plugins ×

Smudge

pyrochild

My touchpad looks somewhat like this:

2q2kba8.jpg

The area highlighted in red, on many touchpads, can be used for scrolling. What I'm saying is, if you have that functionality, it should be compatible with the smudge plugin.

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

apparently, our dell touchpad does have those finger gestures, but i can see why we'd turned them off. they're not very reliable and definitely not accurate, but i doubt that's paint.net's fault, more like the limitation of our hardware and or it's drivers.

thanks very much for your help, although i think i'll just stick to using the scroll bars and zoom buttons for the foreseeable future.

• 2 months later...

Well...I actually think it's okay now. By working with much smaller areas at a closer view I'm able to can control the effect much better. Learning process.

I was pretty excited to see that you created a smudge brush as I use it often in other programs. However, I felt that the effect was rather intense, even when setting it to #1. As a result, it works more like a "push" brush set at low intensity rather than a "smudge" brush...at least for my purpose. I use "smudge" to smooth out skin and wrinkles and to softly blend inconsistancies in skin complexion, so if the effect is too strong it's not going to look natural. Just giving my feedback, in case you decide to make any adjustments in the future.

Thank you for creating those plugins. You and all the other contributors are simply amazing.

-deejay

You can also try using a lighter brush like this one:

post-46838-0-56821600-1402199685_thumb.p

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 1 year later...

Update:

- Fixed color window showing alpha = 0 when a color is opaque black

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 2 months later...

Smudge is on GitHub!...

Thanks for sharing!

And thanks for the brushes!

Edited by ReMake

• 2 months later...

guess i'll be the one to ask. where does this pack even go for it to work at all? because it clearly doesn't go in the effects folder

Yes they do (go in /Effects/). You need to unzip the pack and move or copy the files into the /Effects/ folder. Then restart paint.net.

Full, detailed instructions here: http://boltbait.com/pdn/InstallingEffects.php

there is not a single ".dll" in the entire folder. everything in there is ".cs" and wont work. and if it is working, i cant locate it

You must have downloaded the wrong file. You have the project source code, not the DLL. If you have Visual Studio installed, you could build the project, but it's easier to download the correct file.

Anyone have a link to an older version that will work in PDN v3.5.11?

*** Never mind, I found one in the deep recesses of my HDD.

Edited by dipstick

69unju0.gif

Does the plug-in work with Windows 10?  I ask because all seem to load and are available, but I am not finding Smudge under Tools.  I have approved the DLL.

Does the plug-in work with Windows 10?  I ask because all seem to load and are available, but I am not finding Smudge under Tools.  I have approved the DLL.

I have Windows 10 and Smudge, in Tools, works for me.

• BoltBait unpinned this topic
  • 3 years later...

Unfortunately the smudge plugin crashes paint.net:

Exception details:
System.ArgumentException: The directory name C:\Users\main\Documents\paint.net User Files\Smudge Brushes is invalid.
   at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher..ctor(String path, String filter)
   at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigDialog.ConfigDialog_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog.OnLoad(EventArgs e) in D:\src\pdn\src\Effects\EffectConfigDialog.cs:line 139
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at PaintDotNet.PdnBaseForm.WndProc(Message& m) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\PdnBaseForm.cs:line 1971
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

• 1 year later...

@null54, would it be possible for your PS ABR script to be integrated into Smudge? I realize @pyrochild is sorely missed around these parts (I hope he is well), but I'm hoping you could integrate it with Smudge the way it was done with Dynamic Draw plug-in.

2 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

would it be possible for your PS ABR script to be integrated into Smudge?

Possibly, I would have to investigate it more.

From a quick look at the Smudge plugin code on GitHub, the brush loading code would need a fairly extensive rewrite to handle formats other than PNG.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

18 hours ago, null54 said:

Possibly, I would have to investigate it more.

From a quick look at the Smudge plugin code on GitHub, the brush loading code would need a fairly extensive rewrite to handle formats other than PNG.

Understood, and thanks for responding.

45 minutes ago, ACZ said:

have a question regarding the Smudge Plugin.  When I use the plugin it defaults to Size 30.  Is there a way to alter this default setting?

I don't think this is possible.  But, you can use the left bracket  [ to decrease the size when you are in the Smudge canvas.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.