How to Install Plugins ×

Smudge

pyrochild

For a couple of reasons, no.

One, since CBR is Simon Brown's format, I would need permission and source code from him to use it. The format will be subject to Simon's every whim, and could easily change from version to version. By publishing plugins here, I obligate myself to fix major bugs when found. Using the CBR format would force another obligation on me: to update this plugin whenever Simon decides. PNG is a standard, and will always be supported through the foreseeable life of the Smudge plugin. PNG just makes more sense.

Two, there's simply no advantage to it. Having a custom format might make sense for the functions that a Brushes plugin can use, but what is Smudge going to do with a C#-based brush? Nothing whatsoever.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

For a couple of reasons, no.

One, since CBR is Simon Brown's format, I would need permission and source code from him to use it. The format will be subject to Simon's every whim, and could easily change from version to version. By publishing plugins here, I obligate myself to fix major bugs when found. Using the CBR format would force another obligation on me: to update this plugin whenever Simon decides. PNG is a standard, and will always be supported through the foreseeable life of the Smudge plugin. PNG just makes more sense.

Two, there's simply no advantage to it. Having a custom format might make sense for the functions that a Brushes plugin can use, but what is Smudge going to do with a C#-based brush? Nothing whatsoever.

CBB is hardly a custom format, being simply a renamed ZIP file that stores a collection of PNGs - this basic method is unlikely to change even if extra files can be added in future that change how the plugin treats them, and it probably goes without saying that I have no problem with you implementing the format.

KaHuc.png

Oh, so this isn't the code-based brush format you've been talking about implementing?

This is what I get for being away from the forum for 3 months...

IN that case, I'll consider it. But why rename it? Why not just leave it as a .ZIP?

xZYt6wl.png

Oh, so this isn't the code-based brush format you've been talking about implementing?

This is what I get for being away from the forum for 3 months...

*cough*

IN that case, I'll consider it. But why rename it? Why not just leave it as a .ZIP?

Good point, possibly the following of a bad but common habit, although it may be useful if I ever decide to add a right-click menu to this type of brush for installation.

KaHuc.png

You want to write a shellex for a plugin? I think that would be... overkill.

xZYt6wl.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, this plugin looks really sweet, although I cannot find the custom brushes folder where you're supposed to put it.

I'm running Paint.NET 3.36 on Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Where should it go?

Thanks a lot!

Who the Son sets free, is free indeed.

pyrosig_small-1.png

Hey, this plugin looks really sweet, although I cannot find the custom brushes folder where you're supposed to put it.

I'm running Paint.NET 3.36 on Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Where should it go?

Thanks a lot!

You will find your Custom brushes folder in the following directory "Documents\Paint.NET User Files\Custom Brushes\"

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23095 then view this topic

The next version of Smudge is nearing completion! (At the expense of my AP Art History grade...)

xZYt6wl.png

The next version of Smudge is nearing completion! (At the expense of my AP Art History grade...)

Thats fantastic news! But, you shouldn't give up your AP Art History grade. I suggest you get that grade then complete the next version of smudge (even though i can't wait until smudge with alpha!). :)

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Is alpha smudging the only new update (that makes it sound like nothing :oops: )?

Nothing?! Have you seen some of the bloody potato this plugin spits out when used with transparency? It's quite hideous, really.

But no, there are dozens of changes both to the user interface and under the hood. Alpha is definitely the big one, though.

xZYt6wl.png

Thats fantastic news! But, you shouldn't give up your AP Art History grade. I suggest you get that grade then complete the next version of smudge (even though i can't wait until smudge with alpha!). :)

That's not a class I need to pass; since it's an AP class, the only thing that really matters is the score on the AP exam at the end of the year. Everything else is just the same old busy-work that is so deeply ingrained into the public education system. And my physics and calculus grades easily make up for the GPA hit.

xZYt6wl.png

Like this:

It started out as a pink square and a black square on a transparent background. After smudging, this. Where did the white come from? Why is black smudging in from a transparent area?

xZYt6wl.png

Is alpha smudging the only new update (that makes it sound like nothing :oops: )?

Nothing?! Have you seen some of the bloody potato this plugin spits out when used with transparency? It's quite hideous, really.

Yes, I've seen :P. I meant that the way I had said it, it sounded as if I was belittling it.

This is certainly neat to try, but the performance is ridiculous. You have to sit and wait each time you click for it to show up. GIMP seems to do this effortlessly and instantaneously.

Is there any way to make future versions perform more appropriately?