Shigeo Fukuda monochromic style

This tutorial was encouraged by the discussion on the Simulate old bw photo printing system topic. @Carla initiated the discussion and brought the style to my attention. @Eli, @Pixey, @MJW, @Ego Eram Reputo, @toe_head2001 and @welshblue contributed advice on the technique and encouraged the writing of this tutorial.

A simpler, faster method by @MJW of achieving the same results is described on this post of the same topic.

The original poster can be found at https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/84987/how-to-do-line-optical-illusion-art-effects and https://www.pinterest.com/pin/523684262920581246/.

The tutorial will help PDN users create images in the same style as the original poster, for example: 

8jpgfTL.png

Plugins needed:

@MadJik's Light Rays

@BoltBait's Paste Alpha and Object Tools, both part of BoltBait's Plugin Pack for PdN v4.2.12.

Procedure - 10 easy steps

Spoiler

Step 1: Create a new image at 600*800 pixels.

Step 2: Add a silhouette figure or any object on a new transparent layer. I used this one:

1xILNUe.png

Step 3: Set your primary colour to Black and your secondary colour Opacity - Alpha to zero.

Step 4: On a new transparent layer, run Effects -> Texture -> Light Rays at the settings shown.

l1JC2as.png

Step 5: On the Light Rays layer, run Effects -> Object -> Feather Object at Radius 4.

i00OBop.png

Step 6: Copy the Light Rays layer to the clipboard, i.e. Edit -> Select All, Edit -> Copy or Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C.

Optional: Edit -> Deselect or Ctrl+D. (I always deselect if a selection is no longer needed)

Step 7: Select the Silhouette layer (click on the layer in the Layers window) and apply Effects-> Object -> Paste Alpha as shown.

apP1lRQ.png

Step 8: On the Silhouette layer, Run Effects -> Object -> Outline Object at Outline Width 1.

w0bBtIh.png

Step 9: Merge the Light Rays layer with the Silhouette layer.

G6YzvTZ.png

Step 10: Run Effects -> Noise -> Median at Radius 3 on the merged layer.

6WiyZ1q.png

Result:

6UukBwG.png

Examples using different grids/patterns:

3Fi6qrb.png

Need more?

Spoiler

To copy Shigeo Fukuda's Mona Lisa more accurately, we need to make the background the darker (or black) colour and we need a silhouette or object in a lighter (or white) colour. In the example below I also used a gradient in the lighter colour at bottom centre. I think it turned out quite close to the original.

wf3Rbo2.png

Download PDF: 

Shigeo_Fukuda_tutorial.pdf

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by Djisves
Added CC-BY-SA License text.
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Xkds4Lh.png

Fantastic tutorial @Djisves thank you :star:

I realized after doing this rendition, that I didn't have @MadJik's latest Rays Plugin.  So I downloaded the one you linked to, then thought I'd lost it, as it's now in Textures 🤣  I wonder where @MadJik is these days?  Hope you are well wherever your are @MadJik :)

Here's my rendition of your tutorial @Djisves

1.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

^ excellent! :star:We are encouraging tut (and plugin) authors to think about adding license agreements. Doing so greatly simplifies questions about what can and can't be done with it.