How to Install Plugins ×

Polygon Tool (As in MS Paint)

Simon Brown

One of the features in MS Paint missing from Paint.NET was the polygon tool. The polygon tool is basically a line tool - exept that when you right-click somewhere after drawing a line - it will draw another line from the last drawing postion to the current position. This tool is widely used in pixel art and this plugin allows you to use it in Paint.NET in a similar way to Paint.NET. This effect shows up in the new Tools menu.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9797/polygonvg0.png

Copyright © Simon Brown 2008 - All Rights Reserved

Use at your own risk.

Polygon Tool:   Polygon Tool.zip

KaHuc.png

Just a screenshot of the interface would be nice.

It looks like Custom Brushes - but without the brush list. Should I still post one?

KaHuc.png

you might want to edit your first post to tell where it shows up under effects distorts or renders etc. (hint effects>tools) Found it to be innovative, I like your use of the additional screen similar to brushes. Tried it out, but since I'm not too up on pixel work I probably won't use too often, but I'm sure there are others that do more pixel work that will find this one interesting.

ciao

This effect shows up in the new Tools menu.

I don't think we need such a submenu. Either "Advanced" or the effects root should be used. As long as there are no other useful plugins which are using "Tools", I will not download and use this plugin - though I think it's a good one.

I don't think we need submenus as long as they have not at least 4 entries.

Sadly the Plugin Mangament was not included in 3.20. A registry key or a XML file would be enough cause a primitive management is definately better than no kind of management - but that is offtopic.

Nice plugin, but the idea with the submenu is wrong. "Advanced" might be the correct place because it was introduced with Script Lab, which delivers 4.0-said-features before 4.0. I don't think "Advanced" is restricted to plugins which have a "lab" in their name.

Maybe Custom Brushes could be moved to "Tools", but still it would have only 2 entries. Advanved would host Script Lab + Effects Lab + Codelab + Custom Brushes + Polygon = 5 entries = senseful submenu.

Ok, while this plugin may be MS Paint inspired, must we resort to MS Paint tacticts?

What I am saying is I would much rather like to see a color wheel via IndirectUI then an archaic color chooser. As well, I would like some AntiAliasing. Both features would greatly increase the productivity of this plugin, but either way thank you again!

signature.png

The tools menu is intended for canvas-type plugins. I created it as I have plans for more plugins of this type.

Interesting idea. I may follow your lead on this one.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Thanks, downloading now. I always use MS Paint for this feature but now PDN has it. Wohoo!

Edit: Or I could have been accurate with my lines in PDN.

pdnfsig.png

Do you mind pointing me to the specific tool you are referring to?

I had linked it.

As I can't quote (locked topic), I copy the text:

Encouraged by this I then implemented Polygon and Polyline tools. The polygon tool is much like the freeform shape tool but only adds points to the shape whenever the user clicks the mouse, joining them with straight lines. The polyline tool is similar but is not a closed shape and hence cannot be filled.

This took even less time so I then added a new toolbar corner type drop-down list which allowed control of the shape of line corners (ie how 2 line segments are joined together). This control gives the option of rounded, flat, or clipped (sharp corners which are clipped if the angle is too acute). [Currently in PDN 3.10 line corners are always sharp but revert to flat (not clipped) if they become too acute. The effect is not often seen with current shapes (but can be seen in the freeform shape or a very flat ellipse, ...?) but with the ability to have polygons, polylines and skewed rectangles control of line joins becomes important.]

Further encouraged by this I added full bezier support to polylines. This allows either sharp joins by left-clicking (which use the above-mentioned line corner control) or smooth joins by right-clicking. As in other programs adjusting the bezier handle at a smooth join moves the opposing bezier diametrically opposite in order to preserve the perfectly smooth join.

It was not a plugin, it was a set of two new tools. Rick locked the topic and removed the downloads because, as it was a modified version of Paint.NET itself, it was unstable. I still have a video from that time (it was a modified version of I think 3.10 and doesn't work with the current release). It was not just a polygon tool, it incorporated some interesting features, allowing to change and rotate the lines and so one.

• 2 weeks later...
when you write-click somewhere after drawing a line - it will draw another line from the last drawing postion to the current position.

After your Alpha Mask Brushes plugin added an entry and pyrochild's statement* I gave this one a try due to personal interest. What am I doing wrong?

whatswrongjt2.gif

I see no (positive) difference to the line tool - I thought it would link each clicked point with a line. Instead, it links two clicks with a line and the third one is the beginning of an entirely new line.

----

The tools menu is intended for canvas-type plugins. I created it as I have plans for more plugins of this type.

Interesting idea. I may follow your lead on this one.

The polygon tool is basically a line tool - exept that when you write-click somewhere after drawing a line - it will draw another line from the last drawing postion to the current position.
You have to right-click if you want to continue the line.

Er... Maybe it's my mistake... Write-click = Right-click? I thought "write-click" would be the left one because the left mouse button is used to enter commands while the right one calls the menus...

Well, thank you for the clarification.

Read the first post carefully.

So I did. 8)

Should I change it to please read the first post carfully, but not too carefully and apply logic and scientific reasoning and scepticism at all times considering the main scheme of what I may have been intending to say?

KaHuc.png

Should I change it to please read the first post carfully, but not too carefully and apply logic and scientific reasoning and scepticism at all times considering the main scheme of what I may have been intending to say?

Yes, please. :roll:

(To be honest, I have enough trust in you to assume that you can answer your question yourself. I hope you won't disappoint my hope.)

If you're actually looking for advice, reading posts - especially the important, initial ones - twice before submitting them may help you further - you did not realize your typo for about two weeks. This way also "applies" more "logic and scientific reasoning and scepticism" than letting about 10.000 people guess a "main scheme" you claim to have. From my point of view, "write" looks different from "right", does it.

As a futher advice: Enough of this. We all make mistakes; the way we treat them is the point. At least, if you want to flame me, you may do it via PM. You can even use four letter words there. Thanks.

I apolagise - I didn't intend to flame you. My post was probably a bit too overecaggerated -- I was asically asking for your advice over whether I should ibcluxee a disclaimer over potential typos in my pluvin instrucrions.

KaHuc.png