How to Install Plugins ×

RawLoader

rpetrich

After getting fed up with Corel continuing to drop the ball with Paint Shop Pro, I decided to write this plugin to automate part of my workflow.

Without further adieu I present to you... RawLoader! :)

RawLoader is a simple plugin that uses the open-source DCRaw to decode raw camera images and make them available for use in Paint.NET

Notes:

- Using the File -> Save option in Paint.NET causes the original raw file to be emptied (Paint.NET bug... doesn't check the SupportsSaving property of FileTypes)

- Edit RawLoader.dll.config to customize your DCRaw arguments

- Download a DCRaw build optimized for your processor from lebsanft.org to speed things up

- Error handling is minimal; if something blows up the standard error loading dialog appears

- Uses StandardOutput to read the output from DCRaw rather than having DCRaw write to disk; however, the source file still has to be written to a temp folder because it's sent as an internal stream class rather than something I can steal the filename from :x

Download:

Installer (includes DCRaw and requires only Paint.NET and the .NET 2.0 Framework)

Plugin-Only (requires DCRaw)

Source (requires a C# compiler to create plugin, and NSIS to create the installer)

Notes:

- Using the File -> Save option in Paint.NET causes the original raw file to be emptied (Paint.NET bug... doesn't check the SupportsSaving property of FileTypes)

Hmm, that's news to me. Looking at the code (both yours and mine) this doesn't add up. I've filed a bug to check into this for the next release.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

This has the potential to be the best PDN plugin ever (next to the psd support and Conditional Hue/Saturation).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Rick: Yeah, I took a quick look at the Paint.NET source and couldn't find anything either :?

I'll be looking into it in more detail later today. If I find a fix I'll submit a patch that you can examine and merge. What's the procedure for submitting patches?

P.S. Thanks for an amazing Paint software. I look forward to contributing :)

usedHONDA: Thanks for the praise. I am flattered that you are comparing those plugins to the fruits of my hour spent learning C# :D

RAW is an image file type used in photography. You need a camera like a Nikon 200D or Canon EOS to get pictures like that. Normally RAW editors and converters cost hundreds of dollars, but this one is free! And it's a plugin to Paint.NET!

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

You're welcome. Glad you like it enough to register and thank me. Most of the work (all the difficult stuff) was done by a fellow named Dave Coffin. I merely packaged his command line app with a simple wrapper plugin to streamline the process :)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the work on this plugin! I have been looking for a RAW workflow tool, and I really didn't want to spend the money for Lightroom or any similar tool. I also own PSPP11, and have been frustrated with the RAW support.

I edited the source and recompiled with C# Express, to include support for my camera (Pentax *iST DL, .pef format), with ease.

It appears to be able to edit the full 16 bit file without down-conversion too, although I still have some experimentation to do. I hope that the File>Save bug gets resolved in the next release.

Take care,

PhotoG

I have a question though. Am I really editing the 16 bit raw file, or is Paint .NET or DCraw sampling it down to 8 bits in the background?

I'm asking because I do not get a prompt to reduce the colors, but Paint .NET applies changes faster than anything that I've ever used. If I adjust curves, it's almost realtime on a 10+ meg RAW file, and it previews and prints as fast as my other programs do on jpgs (beautifully too, I might add, without whacking out the colors like PSPP11 seems to).

Even at 8 bits, that's simply amazing, but it astounding to consider if it's actually working on the full 16 bits. Other changes are applied very quickly too, even the effects. Either way, it's obvious that Paint .NET is highly optimized.

Thanks again!

Ah! Thanks. It still amazing. The proof is in the print.

When the File -> Save bug is fixed, will I be able to save changes in the native raw (.pef) format, albeit in 8-bit color?

• 3 weeks later...

I could not agree with you more. This is a great plugin. Unfortunately I use a Pentax *ist DS which is not listed and I don't know how to program. I sent you a PM asking if you could update your plugin to work with pef files. If you can that would be great. If not then you still have a great plugin.. Great work.

To rpetrich,

Can I post the the modified RawLoader.dll? All I did was add the .PEF filetype to the file open dialog, since DCRaw already handles the Pentax format (I discovered that while using it with GIMP).

Thanks in advance,

PhotoG

• 1 month later...

Hey, I receive an error from Paint.Net, when I try to open a .nef RAW image, that there is some unspecified error while opening the file. Any guess what went wrong?

with either of the 2 raw plugins I have found ,I get an error message when I try to load a raw image -can anyone help thanks

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this plug in !! Works great . I like it better in paint.not rather than the eos supplied loader . Is there a way to view the raw images in the thumbnails ?

I noticed that after loading a NEF file and saving it to JPG only a couple of attributes are saved in the EXIF data. Is there something that needs to be configured?

.NEF is another proprietary RAW format by Nikon. Unfortunately, it is there way of making you purchase their software. :evil:

Probably take a modification to the program like with the pentax version.

I noticed that after loading a NEF file and saving it to JPG only a couple of attributes are saved in the EXIF data. Is there something that needs to be configured?

I noticed the same thing. I checked and Dave Coffin's webpage and apparently dcraw supports my camera's raw format so I would assume the problem is not in the capture of the EXIF data.

I'm using Exiftool by Phil Harvey to copy the exif tags from my NEF file to the JPG extracted one.

This freeware command line tool is really great, it can do so many things with raw files. I used to take pictures in Raw+Jpg mode on my Nikon, now I just take Raw, and create Jpg with exif thanks to exiftool.

The command line I'm using for this purpose :

exiftool(-b -jpgfromraw -w %d%f.jpg -ext nef -execute -tagsfromfile @ -srcfile %d%f.jpg -overwrite_original -common_args --ext jpg).exe

just drag'n'drop the folder that contains your photos on the exe icon (renamed this way) and you are done.

Very convenient.

• 3 months later...

please add 64-bit support

so people with more than 2GB ram can use it to

paint.net is 64-bit enabled so its nice if the rawloader was to

btw, anyone know why i get gray raw images from my nikon d40x?