How to Install Plugins ×

Fibonacci Fill

Ego Eram Reputo

Fibonacci Fill

UIDemo.png

Wassit?  It's a pattern generator.  It creates colored squares which spiral outwards from the central point.  Each successive square has a side length equal to the sum of the previous two squares' sides. 

Hence the squares have sides with a length (in pixels) of  1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13,  8+13=21, 21+13=34....

The pattern doesn't change, unless you hit the Threefold checkbox.  Other than that, the plugin allows you to adjust the center location and fiddle with the palette.

Who dun it?  Fibonacci Fill is a collaboration between Ego Eram Reputo and Red Ochre.  Red provided all the cool bits - I do concepts and the basic stuff :mrgreen:

Why?  I devised Fibonacci Fill to create backdrops for websites I was creating.  Like this one: http://scriptuswebdesign.blogspot.co.nz/

The pattern is interesting and the files extremely small when optimized (like with OptiPNG).  Just what the Web Designer ordered!

Compatibility: Fibonacci Fill works with both 3.5.11 and 4.0x.

Where?  You'll find Fibonacci Fill under Effects > Render

How? Install this plugin by downloading my plugin pack http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110145-eers-plugin-pack/

Unzip it and run the installer (written by BoltBait). Restart paint.net.

Demo: Three-fold Pattern + Pastel Mix

Three_Fold_Demo.png

Edited by toe_head2001
Fixed broken postimg images.
  • Upvote 5

Maybe add a feature to use rectangles with a width-to-height ratio of 1:sqrt(2) instead of squares (The A papers aspect ratio). 

You may also fill the squares with an image from the clipboard.

midoras signature.gif

It was a long pregnancy but finally I hear the click-click of a new addition to the Effects family! :D
- congratulations! B) :beer:

EER - did all the hard work on this one and deserves all the credit - I only threw in a few minor suggestions.

Maybe add a feature to use rectangles with a width-to-height ratio of 1:sqrt(2) instead of squares (The A papers aspect ratio).

Perhaps the ratio 1: 1.61803399... (phi) might be useful too - but probably quite awkward to rewrite the plugin.

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thanks guys.

@midora - I like the clipboard idea. I might give that some further thought. I'm not sure that messing with the height-width ratio is going to make the pattern tile perfectly. Some experimentation is in order....

@Red Ochre - sorry about clipping your name in the dialog title bar :( Who is this Red Oc anyway? :D Will Phi make the pattern tile?

@midora -  I'm not sure that messing with the height-width ratio is going to make the pattern tile perfectly. Some experimentation is in order....

The inverted algorithm is: Divide the rectangle on the long side in two equal halfs and then add one half. Do the same with this half.

This works with all rectangle but the advantage of the 1:sqrt(2) ratio is that each half has again the 1:sqrt(2) ratio. This will not happen with Phi or other ratios ;-)

midoras signature.gif

Thanks Midora.  That will mean a rewrite of the algorithm I used.   Not a big problem, but I have another plugin to finish first.

• 2 years later...

The version of this plugin in my Plugin Pack has been updated (Plugin Browser preview image)

Images rehosted to remove the toxic Photobleh