How to Install Plugins ×

Photoshop Brush FileType (07-01-2023)

null54

Works great! Thanks.

Just a note for less experienced users of PDN - this plug in goes in My Computer> C Local Disk > Program Files >Paint.Net > File Types ( NOT the Effects file which is for normal plug ins.)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Ah thank you! Excellent for me :D
No longer need ABRviewer

This could so with a mini tut i think :)

(So this means i can make Photoshop brushes?)

Edited by SAND33P

eOdUjVm.jpg

Thank you for this @Null and thanks too to @Gooney for the hint about the files - I'd have popped it right into Effects :(

Edited by nanettealsop
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Possibly a stupid question approaching...

Would it be possible for both the developers of this wizardry and the magic of custom brushes to combine the two works into a bundle of PDN / ABR custom brush heaven? 

eOdUjVm.jpg

(So this means i can make Photoshop brushes?)

Yes, it also allows you to convert the brushes used by Photoshop CS and later to work with Photoshop 6 and earlier.

Possibly a stupid question approaching...

Would it be possible for both the developers of this wizardry and the magic of custom brushes to combine the two works into a bundle of PDN / ABR custom brush heaven? 

That would be a question for @Simon Brown. :)

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 2 weeks later...

I have just installed this and opened a .abr (I am told PS brushes) file in PDN and it has just opened up the entire pack of brushes on individual layers. Do I gather that I would need to save each layer as an individual .png in order to use as a custom brush ?

Thank you in advance :)

swIFX9v.png

I'd be grateful if someone could explain how you use this

After downloading brushes what do you do ?  (And yep ... I really am that fffickk)

From what I have been playing around with, I opened up PDN then opened a abr brush file, then I saved it as a .png before moving it into a folder in my custom brushes set.

Seems to work OK and I'm also fffickk :lol:

Sasha - As you said you opened a pack of brushes, you would have to untick  and save them separately as .png's. Hope that works, unless anyone knows different? ;)

BREtKQW.png

Ahhhhhh I get it now.  

I was putting the unzipped folder in the Custom Brushes folder instead of the .abr file into a new layer in PDN.

Thanks

Took me a little while to get my pea-brain around it, but I'm happy to share where it helps :)

BREtKQW.png

Hey guys and Sasha - I'm so relieved someone else was 'wondering 'how to do this ...... as was I  :unimpressed:

But, if you have to open them up and then save them to png into custom brushes, isn't this kind of the same as doing it from abr in the first place?  Same amount of steps  :evillaugh:

(If this is a silly conclusion, please forgive me - I've just got off a long flight over to Florida).

Edited by nanettealsop

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Open the .abr and use the layer saver that I Like Pi made to save all the layers into separate files.

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thank you DrewDale & pdnnoob :)  I was saving each layer by unticking, layer saver will be of good use. Thanks again for your help :)

swIFX9v.png

• 3 weeks later...

How do I use this?

Read all of the posts above this.  It is all explained there.

@Vrix .......... It took me a while to figure this out myself :noes:

1.  Put abr brush you downloaded into a File on desktop called Brushes

2. Open PDN - File - Open - Browse to the brush file on desktop - brushes appear - uncheck the ones you don't want then save the layer to png into your other file on desktop called Custom Brushes!  Bingo - you now have a png brush to use in Custom Mini Brushes plugin on PDN.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use the other option 'Layer Saver' (I'm fiick and a Blonde to boot blondhair.gif )

Edited by nanettealsop
  • Hugs 1

30b8T8B.gif

• 7 months later...

Added support for version 10 brushes, reduced memory usage when loading.

Fixed a potential issue that would cause Paint.NET to close without warning.

File version updated to 1.0.0.1. :D

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 2 years later...

still not sure what my issue is... iv'e put ABRfiletype in the FileType foler where all the files for PDN are. and i can use it with PDN but when i try to use a brush its more of copying and pasting squares all over the image... and then i also don't know where to put brushes so i can use them with PDN

Edited by Cavernist

still not sure what my issue is... iv'e put ABRfiletype in the FileType foler where all the files for PDN are. and i can use it with PDN but when i try to use a brush its more of copying and pasting squares all over the image... and then i also don't know where to put brushes so i can use them with PDN

Paint.NET does not natively support custom brushes.

Using this plugin to load brushes for CustomBrushesMini is explained in the posts above.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Added support for preserving the spacing when loading and saving brushes.

File version updated to 1.2.0.0.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

• 1 year later...

Just want to say thanks for this file type plugin. Gimp can use .abr brushes natively, but the ones created with Photoshop 7 and up cause problems. I can load those same .abr files into PDN and save as new .abr using PS v6 and all is well. As an added bonus, I can delete the brushes I don't want. I can also created my own custom brushes onto each layer and save it out as an .abr brushes file.

• Like 1

69unju0.gif

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2018 at 6:10 PM, dipstick said:

Just want to say thanks for this file type plugin. Gimp can use .abr brushes natively, but the ones created with Photoshop 7 and up cause problems. I can load those same .abr files into PDN and save as new .abr using PS v6 and all is well. As an added bonus, I can delete the brushes I don't want. I can also created my own custom brushes onto each layer and save it out as an .abr brushes file.

I'm totally with you on this!! Big huge THANK YOU A GAZILLION!

So, we have the option to save a file as an .abr file, and it almost completes, but then never does. It's a black and white PNG. If it helps, here is what the error report says.

Application version: paint.net 4.1.5

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at AbrFileTypePlugin.AbrSave.GetBrushAlphaData(Surface surface, Rectangle imageBounds)

at AbrFileTypePlugin.AbrSave.SaveLayer(BinaryReverseWriter writer, BitmapLayer layer, AbrFileVersion fileVersion, Boolean rle)

at AbrFileTypePlugin.AbrSave.Save(Document input, Stream output, PropertyBasedSaveConfigToken token, ProgressEventHandler progressCallback)

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Save(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback, Boolean rememberToken) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 293

at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.<>c__DisplayClass253_2.<DoSave>b__2() in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:line 2995

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Try(Action f) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 174

Also, if we are supposed to and can be allowed to save a file as an .abr file, would be then be able to save multiple layers like maybe 5...or 10, into one .abr file? Since PDN uses .abr files and opens the collection of them as PNG layers, we can make our own grouping of PNG layers to use at one time. I think that's cool.

So, maybe since I'm not logged in as Admin? Would that matter?

Edited by ScrapbookWithPDN

Also, if I figure out how to SAVE AS .abr....do I just create the layers, one above the other, and when it starts saving as .abr files for me, as in "SAVE AS..." with the 10 or 15 layers I have in my layers before saving it as an .abr file, will it just save them all within the .abr file like externally made .abr files have multiple images in them when we open them in PDN? Did I confuse you? I kinda started confoosing myself...but, hopefully, you know what I mean.