How to Install Plugins ×

Thermal Heat Map

Ego Eram Reputo

Thermal Heat Map

What's this?

This plugin creates a heat map from an input image. Like this:

Thermal_Heat_Map_UI.png

Where do I find it?

After installation, this plugin resides in the Effects > Distort submenu.

How does it work?

The plugin uses the intensity of the source image to create the map. Bright or light regions of the source image are interpreted being more intense, and are rendered in hotter colors. Dim or dark regions are interpreted as less intense, and therefore rendered in cooler colors.

Transparent or semi transparent areas of the source image are interpreted as being less intense than the same area if it were fully opaque. Thus the output map will be cooler for these areas.

Users should note that I've given the rendering loop a little randomization. This will mean that rendering the effect twice over duplicate images will likely not produce exactly the same effect both times. I've done this to reduce artefacts generated by the circular gradient brush if it's implementation is too regimented.

The idea (and much of the code) came from here: http://dylanvester.c...C-Sharp%29.aspx

The UI explained:

Heatpoint Radius: Determines the size of the area colored by a single 'heat point'. Smaller radii render faster and reveal more detail, but the resultant map is cooler. Larger radii show less detail and render slower (sometimes much slower), the resultant map will be warmer.

Thermostat: Used to control the temperature of the output map. Lower values (slide the bar left) lower the output temperatures. Higher values (slide right) create warmer temperatures.

Invert Intensity: Think of this as flipping the thermostat (left to right). Cooler areas will now be warmer, and vice versa.

Enhance Colors: Not happy with the washed-out look? Check this checkbox to make the colors more vivid. Warm colors will become even warmer, and cool colors colder.

How do I install it?

1. Click the link below to download the zip file.

2. Unzip the file and copy or move the *.dll into your Paint.NET/Effects/ folder.

3. Restart Paint.NET.

ThermalHeatMapEffect.zip

Edited by toe_head2001
Fixed broken links

YOU ARE WRONG THAT IS IN NO WAY A THERMAL HEAT MAP

I'm not going to argue with you. Blame Dylan Vester :D

The gradient from light blue to dark blue tones is a bit rough, but solid PlugIn!

Thanks.