How to Install Plugins ×

PdnFF (2020-11-14)

null54

This plugin allow some of the filters built with Adobe's Filter Factory plugin for Photoshop to be run in Paint.NET.

The Filter Factory plugins use a C-style language to modify an image.

If a Filter Factory filter does not work with this plugin you can use PSFilterPdn to run it.

This plugin is compatible with Paint.NET 3.5.11 and 4.0.x.

PdnFF.png

The Filter Manager will search the directories specified in the directory search list to for filters to display by category.

The Build Filter button will build the loaded filter as a separate plugin for Paint.NET to use.

A list of some of the Filter Factory filters is available at http://thepluginsite...rces/freeff.htm.

The plugin icon is from the Silk icon set.

Download:

PdnFF.zip

Source Code:

The source code for the plugin and Filter Factory interpreter (ffparse).

Both are licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

https://github.com/0xC0000054/pdn-filter-factory

https://github.com/0xC0000054/pdn-filter-factory-interpreter

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Just tried it loading some of the .8BF files that i have in my Photoshop plugin folder, nothing happens I'm using Windows 7 x64 and i added the folder for it to search, it doesn't return any filters in the the filter list

CookiesSigPDN2.png

This is not a general Photoshop plugin shim, Cookies. It allows filters built with Filter Factory to be used in Paint.NET.

Think of Filter Factory as a Photoshop version of CodeLab. It's a plugin that allows other filters to be built within Photoshop. As far as I know.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I've also tried it. Downloaded some simple looking bevel filters from the linked site and got them loaded into the plugin OK.

All I get are various horisontal distortions, no matter which of the filters I apply :(

@null54: Can you add a handful of filters so we can see it working? I would also like to see some documentation. Controls named ctl(4) or Map(2) don't exactly scream their function at me.

It does look very promising, but first impressions are...., daunting!

This is not a general Photoshop plugin shim, Cookies. It allows filters built with Filter Factory to be used in Paint.NET.

Think of Filter Factory as a Photoshop version of CodeLab. It's a plugin that allows other filters to be built within Photoshop. As far as I know.

Oh... Just didn't thought that they HAD to be made by Filter Factory but it seems they have to the plugins from the site he linked to loaded fine

CookiesSigPDN2.png

Can you add a handful of filters so we can see it working? I would also like to see some documentation. Controls named ctl(4) or Map(2) don't exactly scream their function at me.

It does look very promising, but first impressions are...., daunting!

The zip has been updated with the official documentation and example code.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

The link is fine. Thank you for the examples and documentation.

I'm still not getting anything more than the same horisontal distortions, regardless of which filter I apply....,

I'm still not getting anything more than the same horisontal distortions, regardless of which filter I apply....,

Do you have a screenshot of this?

The output of the Filter Factory Example.afs filter should be:

ffexampleafs.th.png

If not I am have no idea what the problem is. :/

PdnSig.png

Do you have a screenshot of this?

The output of the Filter Factory Example.afs filter should be:

ffexampleafs.th.png

If not I am have no idea what the problem is. :/

Well, didnt use the Filter Factory Example.afs but i assigned the red channel to all channels except A and the output was

problemFF.jpg

those are the horizontal things  :/

CookiesSigPDN2.png

I'm moving this to Plugin Developer's Central until you can get it working for someone, anyone.

xZYt6wl.png

The cause of the banding was a thread collision issue, that is now fixed.

That is what I get for not testing on a multi-core machine. :roll:

PdnSig.png

OK, but now all your samples just turn the image black. A couple in the Transparency Suite Examples folder work.

xZYt6wl.png

The samples have been changed to the ones from Filter Foundry so they should now work correctly.

PdnSig.png

The attached filters do work. Quite well actually. B)

Octagon and Wobble-2d are rather nice!

It seems that all of the other filters have problems so I've just deleted them. I'll download one or two others just to see that they also work before giving this the thumbs up.

Edit: 'Build Filter' is non functional :(.

• 2 weeks later...

All the supplied filters are functional, and the 'build effect' also seems to be working. So, as all seems to be well with this plugin...,

<Moved to Plugins forum>

Nice Null54. I was working on a similar prototype so have quite an appreciation for your work. You beat me to it!!!

Comments: On initial install (copy PdnFF.dll and ffparse_x86.dll to Effects folder) the effect crashes with a

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Patrick\Documents\Paint.NET User Files\PdnFF.xml' error.

Manually adding a Paint.NET User Files folder made all well.

The Build Filter DLL function worked perfectly, however the Save... as .txt failed and the Save... as .afs was only partially successful with the equations being saved, but not the header info nor the slider info.

I use Filter Factory to make grayscale gradients for use as templates for transitions for Movie Maker. Here is an example and test case: Rotating Bands

in R put((d+D)*val(0,1,16)/4%256,0),put(((((m/val(1,10,M/2))/2) %2)<1)?get(0):255-get(0),1)

in G get(1)

in B get(1)

in A a

set slider 0 (# Vanes) to 128

set slider 1 (# Bands) to 32

As an equation writer, it would be nice if the syntax checking were done on each keystroke to catch mistakes as they occur.

PatrickL

Edited by pleabo
pleabosig.png

The Build Filter DLL function worked perfectly, however the Save... as .txt failed and the Save... as .afs was only partially successful with the equations being saved, but not the header info nor the slider info.

The afs format only saves the slider values and source code, this is because it only asks for that information when the filter is built. :(

It should now create the User data directory of it does not find it.

The save txt function has been fixed and the syntax check now runs as you type.

File version updated to 1.0.3.0

PdnSig.png

Let me see if I understand how this plug-in works, does this mean I could "borrow*" a PS plug-in and run it in PDN by using this plug-in you made?

*By the term borrow, I mean in a legal way...

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

It will only run Photoshop plugins built with Filter Factory, it will just ignore the other Photoshop filters.

PdnSig.png