Even more installation problems

Joe G.

That was interesting. I did that. The result was a dialog box with:

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Then when I attempted to install by double clicking on the X86 line I got the same results as I reported to start this thread. It failed because it could not remove the current installed product.

Joe, did you see this thread:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=4409

hi,according to my test,i found how to fix it .follow me pls:

As shown in the windows installer cleanup utility list ,the first and the second item is "(all user)no name" ,this is matched the paint.net.

So you have to delete those.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Thanks Bob,

I'm going thru all of it again to see if I missed something. The strange part is that the uninstaller says the product is not there. At the same time the installer says it is. Obviously, the installer and uninstaller are looking in different places or interpreting the same information differently.

So far, I have not been able to find what the installer is looking at that makes it error out because the product is already installed.

I have tried to reinstall V2.5 but that installer also finds some kind of error and quits.

Bob,

Just for information here is what my installer clean up display looks like:

(All Users)

................................................................................................

(All Users) Adobe Reader 7.0.7[7.0.7]

(All Users) iTunes[4.7.0.42]

(All Users) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [1.1.4322]

(All Users) Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 [2.0.50727]

(All Users) Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003 [11.0.6412.0]

(All Users) Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003 [11.0.6506.0]

(All Users) Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 [12.00.07.1200]

(All Users) OmniPage SE [2.00.0000]

(All Users) WebFldrs XP [9.50.6513]

(All Users) Windows Backup Utility [5.1]

(All Users) Windows Defender [1.1.1051.1]

(All Users) Windows Defender Signatures [1.20.1389.7]

(All Users) WordPerfect Family Pack 4[10]

Windows Installer Clean Up [2.05.00.0000]

Do you see anything here that might be involved with this problem?

Thanks,

Joe

I uninstalled NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0. Made sure that all active user accounts had administrator privileges. The only other user account is the inactive guest account. I then downloaded the PaintDotNet_2_61_Full.exe file. I killed every program that was running except Windows Explorer. My system has way more than the stated minimum requirements for the installation. Then I ran the installation program. It installed NET Framework fine. Then when it attempted to install Paint.NET it failed with the exact message that I reported in the first post in this thread. There is something radically wrong with the installation design and implementation. I give up. Way to many installation problems for what should be a simple application product. A quick scan of the bug reports shows that. This is a nice product and I would like to use it.

Just in case you think I’m some kid who doesn’t know what he is talking about I retired three years ago after 40 years of computer work. Programmer, systems analyst, operating system support team leader, contract programmer, and some other jobs of this kind. Fluent in C, C++, and some other languages. I’m not up to speed with the latest stuff because I have other interests than computers.

See you later. I will check back in a couple of versions from now and see if this thing will work. You can turn off my membership in this forum now.

Joe

Just in case you think I’m some kid who doesn’t know what he is talking about...

Nobody's saying or implying this.

There is something radically wrong with the installation design and implementation.

Don't assume that either. Please don't lash out because Paint.NET doesn't work on your computer.

Paint.NET was downloaded over 200,000 times during the month of March alone, during which we did almost a full terabyte of website traffic even with most of our downloads being handled by BetaNews. The total download count since October 2004 (when we started keeping stats) is quickly approaching 2 million. This is not to compare "sizes" (so to speak) but leads in to the next statements...

The number of bug and crash reports I get is very small in proportion to those numbers listed above. The vast, vast majority of users have absolutely no problem installing and using Paint.NET. I'm not stating this to single you out and say we think your computer is "below the minimum requirements." Nor is it an implication that we think you're incompetent, stupid, have "done something wrong," etc. It is just a fact that it is impossible to write client software that runs on everybody's system correctly.

If it wasn't your system, it would be someone else's. I could ramble for at least a full hour about all the various little (and big) changes that have been made in the name of compatibility. For instance, we used to use the Windows Scripting Host (WSH) during our installation process for a few purposes; it let us write something like "CreateDesktopShortcut()" in about 5 lines of code. But people reported crashes in our setup program, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out. Finally I figured out that sometimes anti-virus software is configured to block WSH completely, with the rationale that it can be used for malicious purposes (which I disagree with: are shoes illegal because they can be used as blunt weapons?). So I had to write a few hundred lines of C#->COM interop and go straight to the shell interfaces. But hey, it solved a huge compatibility problem for us.

Way to many installation problems for what should be a simple application product. A quick scan of the bug reports shows that.

And it's only natural that a forum named "Bugs & Troubleshooting" would have large number of threads related to bugs and troubleshooting. There have been bugs reported in the past that did affect a large number of users and, thanks to the users who reported them and engaged in a dialogue with us, we were able to fix them for all users. We are still in that process with the registry permission issue you saw.

Your statements there is akin to walking to the "Returns" line at a department store, seeing 3 people in line, and stating "Everybody I've seen is returning what they bought here! There is something radically wrong with this place." Well what do you expect, you're in the Returns line ... I, for one, have seen a steady drop in the rate of postings in this section of the forum over the last few months.

Like I said, the vast majority of users have no trouble at all with Paint.NET. However, for those that do have trouble, I ask that they send a crash log, bug report, or engage in some kind of dialogue to help us figure out and solve the problem. You've done this for us, so thanks for that much. Unfortunately I just don't have a solution for you at this time.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Bob,

Just for information here is what my installer clean up display looks like:

(All Users)

................................................................................................

(All Users) Adobe Reader 7.0.7[7.0.7]

(All Users) iTunes[4.7.0.42]

[...]

Delete the bolded one.

The first with no name. It's Paint.NET but you delete the "reference" the Windows Installer Tool search in the registry.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio