How to Install Plugins ×

Icon, Cursor, and Animated Cursor Format v3.7 (May 2010)

evanolds

16 hours ago, andrewhsiao said:

What  is the paintNet plugin license ?

What do you want to do with the plugin?

On 10/4/2018 at 1:33 PM, toe_head2001 said:

The author of this plugin never specified a license.

On 10/5/2018 at 5:12 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

What do you want to do with the plugin?

Sometimes some workitem need to export icon for buisness.

I am chosing the software for icon 

Any icon you have created and saved with this plugin is yours to do with as you please.

• 8 months later...
On 5/9/2016 at 11:38 AM, pdn-user said:

@TechnoRobbo: Thank you, the plugin works. There is still some issues with the plugin though:

Issue 1:

* open an icon with multiple bitmaps in (I've did so from Explorer)

* the "Icon/Cursor Load Options" comes up, leave it open

* open another icon (I've did so from Explorer, in this case with a single bitmap only)

Result: 100% CPU on one core, nothing happens until you switch to the "Icon/Cursor Load Options" and choose one or cancel it.

Issue 2: If you cancel the "Icon/Cursor Load Options" you still have the file open with only the background set (and a message without a message title), is it possible to abort the load completely?

Issue 3 (Feature Request): Is it possible to name the layers of the image file including the color dept? Currently there are multiple layers with the same names.

Issue 4: `this.TopMost = true;` seems a bit too much, this is the only application (part) I've recognized so far that still shows up when I switch to a full-screen RDP session. Does it work without this? If not: is it possible to remove this in the `onFocus` (or whatever appropriate) event of the dialogue?

Issue 5 (severe): If you cancel the Save Dialogue you get a 0 byte file (the original version is lost).

I've rechecked those with the most current PDN and plugin (I guess the later did not change).

Issue 1 - solved
Issue 2 - still there (both the message without a message title and the "empty" open picture
Issue 3 - I raise the FR again (and would adjust the plugin if I'd have the sources, that FR should be relative easy to do)
Issue 4 - still an issue which can be really bugging - I'd experiment for solutions with the source code available...
Issue 5 - the most severe issue persists and I'm confident to fix this, too

I also second the request of others (the source code is likely to contain a license info, I assume - I'd like to make fixes available to others):

On 1/16/2017 at 2:09 AM, CrazyBug said:

Any chance to get the source code of this Paint.NET plugin?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi there! 😊

When buying PdotNET through Windows, and gaining access to WindowsApps folder, the likely candidate appears to be the Bundled folder where there are the DDSFileTypePlus and WebPFileType folders by default. Just popped it in there, no containing folder required?

The possibility of a plugin manager has been discussed before, might come in handy for this type of thing- but requires a bit of input.

Thanks for the plugin!

Edited by Laurie

5 hours ago, Laurie said:

When buying PdotNET through Windows, and gaining access to WindowsApps folder, the likely candidate appears to be the Bundled folder where there are the DDSFileTypePlus and WebPFileType folders by default. Just popped it in there, no containing folder required?

The Windows Store version requires FileType plugins to be installed into <Documents>\paint.net App Files\FileTypes.

See https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html#4  for more information.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

11 hours ago, null54 said:

The Windows Store version requires FileType plugins to be installed into <Documents>\paint.net App Files\FileTypes.

See https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html#4  for more information.

Fantastic, thanks -that seems a lot better.

TBQH  it was a hard time trying to get anything into WindowsApps even when one had taken ownership of the folder. Plus bizarro ACL hiccups:

Spoiler

AccessToBundledFolder.JPG.b9090ea3f11ef0490f34fc248a29407e.JPG

Came up with a script to handle that at reboot, but the FileRenameOperations key wouldn't update on completion of the script:

Spoiler

; Autohotkey req.

MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT := 0x4
MOVEFILE_REPLACE_EXISTING := 0x1
src := "C:\Users\New\Desktop\IcoCur.dll"
dst := "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\dotPDNLLC.paint.net_4.205.7213.0_x64__h55e3w7q8jbva\Bundled\IcoCur.dll"    
    if (DllCall("MoveFileEx", "STR", src, "STR", dst, "UINT", MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT | MOVEFILE_REPLACE_EXISTING))
    msgbox, 64, Success, IcoCur.dll to be moved to Bundle next reboot!
    else
    msgbox, 16, Failure, IcoCur.dll will not be moved to Bundle next reboot! Error was %A_LastError%

In any case, this is a better bet. What a relief!

Edited by Laurie

• 6 months later...

An update on this for anyone new (sorry for the bold it's jammed on! I pasted in from a Google Doc so don't know why)

Paint.Net version at this point in time:

Stable release 4.2.12 / May 29, 2020; 15 days ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint.net

https://www.getpaint.net/

This is an amazing windows program btw - just wish I’d found it sooner!

The IcoCur.dll for creating .ico icons from within Paint.net

The DLL worked with the above version of Paint.net on my Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 64bit  today. Credit to the DLL developer - great job thanks and to TechnoRobbo of this forum for fixing it to work with later version - great job too thanks. The link below is to TechnoRobbo post March 31, 2016 where IcoCur.dll may be downloaded.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/927-icon-cursor-and-animated-cursor-format-v37-may-2010/page/13/?tab=comments#comment-514467

I online malware checked IcoCur.dll and it seems fine but make your own judgment on this.

Results:

https://r.virscan.org/language/en/report/03d4142498934d88486bb6cc2c119bc8

The IcoCur.dll file needs to be placed in the 'FileTypes' folder, rather than the 'Effects' folder. (tnx KetchupKid July 28, 2016)

Here:

C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes

I created a 64 x 64 single icon from a 227 x 222 pixel 32bit 20KB .PNG image and it worked and I left job done. So that's the extent of testing I did. The icon looks great on my Windows desktop.

To use just do ‘Save As’ and select ‘Save as type’ .ico file and then during the save process you will be shown some icon options, set those and finish saving. Job done. Enjoy and thanks to all contributions.

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
De-bolded :)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello, and apologies for the bump. I just came to this thread to ask, is there an alternative to this plugin (or a modified version) that allows saving of the .ico at any bit depths other than 8-bit or 32-bit? I would like to be able to specify the bit depth because I am trying to save a 4-bit 32x32 icon and nothing more. Any help is appreciated

Edit: While I'm at it, what about custom resolutions as well? I'm not in the immediate need but I figure it probably comes hand-in-hand with the theoretical custom bit depth.

Edited by Ewan Green

Frankly I think your best bet for working with ICO files is to use something like Axialis IconWorkshop.

Save the 4-bit image as a PNG, which Paint.NET does support. Then, bring it into IconWorkshop and get it done there.

(I use IconWorkshop when I need to edit Paint.NET's icon.)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 7:03 PM, BoltBait said:

The last time the author of this plugin visited the forum was in 2013, so... unknown?

Hmm.. It's .NET bytecode, so there's a possibility to first recover the source code & then recompile with latest .NET 5 or so.

However, it might violate the source's licence, so...

Edited by Eagle

John Fitzgerald Kennedy: „And do the other things, not because they’re easy, but because they’re hard.“

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Klutz,

There is definitely a FileTypes plugin that does all the various icon sizes - can't for the life of me think of the name - because I use it a fair bit of the time. Download what is there, and experiment

Brian