How to Install Plugins ×

Icon, Cursor, and Animated Cursor Format v3.7 (May 2010)

evanolds

The download page is dead :( can someone upload it as an attachment???

The download link has been fixed:

http://www.evanolds.com/IcoCur.zip

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

Would anyone object if I took out the "Save each layer seperately" mode? It's really kind of a dirty hack how it trys to analyze the transparent regions and save images of different dimensions. Paint.Net isn't really well suited for it. I'd have more time to work on other features if I just scraped this portion.

Please let me know by voting in the poll at the top of the page.

I don't see the poll, but I would hate to see that dropped as it allows me to load up unique 16*16 sized images for that size of icon, which makes the icons look cleaner (AA'ed 16*16 icons look like junk most of the time).

TAC_08a.png

I would hate to see that dropped as it allows me to load up unique 16*16 sized images for that size of icon, which makes the icons look cleaner (AA'ed 16*16 icons look like junk most of the time).

Yes, I understand that without that option, icon authoring power is extremely limited. However, just due to the nature of Paint.NET, such an option is just not something I'm willing to maintain. I did some refactoring for the latest release and removed that feature. There will be probably one or two more clean-up/bug fix updates for this plug-in and then I'm not going to maintain it anymore. In Rick's own words, Paint.NET is just not an icon creation tool.

It's highly likely that I will write a standalone application that allows for more complex icon creation. But trying to write a plug-in that attempts to extend Paint.NET's functionality too far beyond that for which is was intended is not the way I want to go.

I don't see the poll

Yes it was removed because there's a rule that says "you must not get feedback on you plug-ins in the plug-in posting forum" (possible that I slightly mis-quoted that). I pretty much made the decision without feedback. It was a mistake to put it in to begin with it, so removing it was simply fixing the mistake.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

Yes, I understand that without that option, icon authoring power is extremely limited. However, just due to the nature of Paint.NET, such an option is just not something I'm willing to maintain. I did some refactoring for the latest release and removed that feature. There will be probably one or two more clean-up/bug fix updates for this plug-in and then I'm not going to maintain it anymore. In Rick's own words, Paint.NET is just not an icon creation tool.

Well Blast. I guess I'll be sticking with my 3.10 install and associated plug-in(s) for a while (I do understand why you are dropping it, I was just hoping that I would maybe forestall the inevitable).

It's highly likely that I will write a standalone application that allows for more complex icon creation. But trying to write a plug-in that attempts to extend Paint.NET's functionality too far beyond that for which is was intended is not the way I want to go.

I would like to see that very much. The reason I voiced my opinion was that I much prefer your/Rick's Anti-Aliasing to that I've found in other freeware Icon editors (most notibly IcoFX).

TAC_08a.png

Well Blast. I guess I'll be sticking with my 3.10 install and associated plug-in(s) for a while (I do understand why you are dropping it, I was just hoping that I would maybe forestall the inevitable).

Keep in mind, you cannot seek tech support for Paint.NET 3.10 on this forum.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Keep in mind, you cannot seek tech support for Paint.NET 3.10 on this forum.

And I never have and never will. I have an install that works for me now, so I don't see any reason to upgrade.

TAC_08a.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried the plugin to make a simple cursor and use it in a visual studio 2005 project. But it keeps bugging me that it's the wrong filetype or the file is damaged.

I just saved an 32x32 image (with transparant background) as a cursor file. I'm using Paint.Net 3.22.

I also tried saving it as an icon file, but I got the same errors, saving the file using IcoFx gave no errors.

So, I'm thinking the plugin doesn't work, or not 100% correct?

Do I need the .net framework 3.0 maybe?

Hi,

I tried the plugin to make a simple cursor and use it in a visual studio 2005 project. But it keeps bugging me that it's the wrong filetype or the file is damaged.

I just saved an 32x32 image (with transparant background) as a cursor file. I'm using Paint.Net 3.22.

I also tried saving it as an icon file, but I got the same errors, saving the file using IcoFx gave no errors.

So, I'm thinking the plugin doesn't work, or not 100% correct?

Do I need the .net framework 3.0 maybe?

How are you adding the icon/cursor resource to your VS2005 project? For a C# app I don't think it will even let you add cursors and I had no trouble adding an icon. However, I did find an issue which I'll work on fixing, but you should be able to save an icon with the default options and have VS load it. You don't need the .NET 3.0 framework.

Can you please send more details about the error and exactly what steps you take that cause it?

Thanks

There is a bug on saving 8-bit images. Working on a fix.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...