How to Install Plugins ×

Icon, Cursor, and Animated Cursor Format v3.7 (May 2010)

evanolds

I love the plugin, but I've run into a small snag. It doesn't seem to support 256*256 sized Icons [in 32, 8, or 4 bit settings] (Vista Supported). Any news on when this format will be added?

There is a glitch with 255x255 icons that I was hoping to get around to fixing by the next version but 256x256 I thought worked ok. I've tested it with certain 256x256 icons and they load ok. Can you upload some of the icons that don't work on the web and send me a link to them? Then maybe I could see what's happening with them.

I can't find the file right now, but IIRC it was one that used the Vista PNG compression for the 256 size. If I find it again, I'll make sure I let you know.

TAC_08a.png

on the homepage of this plugin, i see a new window which gives settings on how to save a picture. but when i open a PNG file and when i try to save it, it only saves it as a 32x32 icon file. so my question is, where is that window.

Yeah, that's a strange one. Internet explorer, Irfanview and XnView won't even open it at all, yet WinXP can display it in the normal explorer views.

It looks as though the icon format has been perversed again, to a mode beyond its original intent. As I recall, the format specifications I read didn't say anything about allowing PNG images to be embeded within the file; animated cursors were supposedly supposed to have similar abilities though (they're RIFFs, different from the icon and cursor format). In any event, I'm not sure how I'll tackle this one.

At this point it seems like that may be a "freak" icon, but if all Windows Vista icons work this way then it would be good to support it.

I'd say maybe 50% chance I'll figure it out and get support for it, but well less than 50% chance that it will be in the next version. It may not be a real issue until Vista is released for the masses anyway.

Thanks for pointing this out though, I'll definately have to keep this in mind.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

Yes, this is how Vista icons work. The 256x256 version is expected to be in a compressed format. Otherwise they'd add 256 KB to the .ICO ... and thus 256 KB to just about every Vista executable.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I think there's something wrong. I download the icon and icon file haven't icon form (it appera as generic file)

Opening t with microangelo doesn't work. After a long time it auto close with an error.

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

The only program I've been able to open the icon with is IconWorkshop 5/6, and my free trials are used up so I can't get you a copy of what it should look like.

TAC_08a.png

... I can't get you a copy of what it should look like.

I can :D

icocur_preview.png

The upcoming version will have support for these icons (as you can see).

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

Neat! No 20160-bit loading. I actually noticed something like this when using a program that did not uncompress Targa's correctly, so the alpha channel was garbled

~~

... I can't get you a copy of what it should look like.

I can :D

The upcoming version will have support for these icons (as you can see).

Dear Sir - I salute you greatly, for you have moved me to the point that when I get a job I shall donate money to support this wonderful program!

TAC_08a.png

A new version (3.0) is now available. As mentioned previsouly, this version supports the new Windows Vista icons that have PNG compressed images within them. Also animated cursors are now supported.

anisave.png

(animated cursor save dialog)

The download link is the same as before:

http://www.evanolds.com/IcoCur.zip

Please let me know if you find any bugs.

Wow. You have turned this into one of the more advanced icon editing freeware programs out there. :D Amazing.

EDIT: Notice the layers as frames :) Also, i tested the PNG vista ICO and it worked beautifully. Possibility of Saving 256x compressed?

~~

Do you put the .dll C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects because I have but the effect isn't appearing in the Effects List...

EDIT: To answer my own question...

Install:

Unzip and put in the "FileTypes" folder in the Paint.NET directory.

Zacariem :D

They said we couldn't fly.

We did.

Anythings possible!

zacariem_firy_sig2.png

O______O

Not wise person who could make livened up cursors... In this rhythm, briefing anger to have the "GIF animated" file type... :roll:

Please forgive my stupidity on this subject, but.....

I don't know how to determine the coordinates for my hot spot.

On another program I used, you would click on the image at the point you wanted the hotspot.

If someone could explain what I'm doing wrong, I would be eternally greatful.

Thanks,

Corey

Paint.Net is Great!!!

you set the coordinates in standard x,y format. It helps if you think of your image as a big grid. 0,0 is the top, left pixel, and then the numbers increase as you go right, and down the image. to find a coordinate in PDN quickly, just move your mouse cursor over the pixel you want to be the hotspot(this is in normal edit mode, not when you're in the save dialog). In the lower right corner of your screen, there'll be several numbers, one set of which, are your coordinates. If your not sure which numbers they are, try wiggling the mouse a little and watch for changes. Hope that helps!

crosswalker

Lawless%20government%20sig.png

• 1 month later...