How to Install Plugins ×

Conditional Hue/Saturation Effect Available

evanolds

I have created a "Conditional Hue/Saturation" effect plug-in for PDN. It basically just goes through the image and analyzes the hue and saturation values of the pixel, checks it against the range specified by the user, and then takes the appropriate action, which may be a hue shift, saturation shift or hue fade. While not much of a technical achievement I've found it useful for quick changes that could be done "by hand" but are a one-pass action with this effect.

Below are some before and after shots.

gorges.jpg

TreesSkyBoth.jpg

bowls.jpg

Effect dialog screen shot:

BlueWallParams.png

Download from this thread:

Last Update: March 3, 2007

Edited by toe_head2001
Fixed broken images
  • Upvote 1

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

Great plugin! I think I will find myself using quite a bit.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Wow spot the difference. Especially in the last photo. If you are anything like me, which is mostly rubbish, it would have taken you about half a minute to figure it out!

It looks like a very very lovely plugin. I would use it if I knew how to instal them, hoewver I don't know, and so I will have to instead dream about it in my dreams when I sleep tonight. Thank you evanolds.

aatwo, extract the driver (.dll) from the zip and place it in the "Effects" folder in the "Paint.NET" directory. The next time you start Paint.NET it will be located in the "Effects" menu.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Ok, if you'd like the source code it's posted (link below). This is just a zip of the project file as it was when I compiled the release version. You may have to fiddle with the project settings to get it to compile (if your Paint.NET installation directory is different than mine for example).

Feel free to use it as a framework for your effect, in fact this is the main reason I'm releasing it. Just replace my code with your own.

Note that there are sections that are commented out and even some unused sections of code (I think I may have left in some if statements that are impossible to be executed in the given context). You may have to sort through some of my messy code if you want to use this to see how PDN plug-ins work, but I'm hoping that is doable for most C# programmers with some graphics programming experience.

http://www.evanolds.com/HueSatFilterSrc.zip

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

*jumps on the boat late*

I just tried this out the other day. This is an excellent plugin! Big thumbs up.

• Upvote 1

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I installed this plugin today thanks to Buzzkill who should have a statue made of him or something for helping me.

evanolds you are hardcore because this plugin is so awesome it should be permanently integrated into paint.net.

I've a Localization Fever and so a few questions:

1. Is this 3rd-party effect localizable?

2. Are/can third-party effects localizables?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

• 3 weeks later...

yeah like in the help section there should be a button opening a browser to evanolds' site...

RuneScapeBorn2killxSig.png

I built my first computer at age 11!

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, There is no resource file that you can change the strings, but there is some capability of it (With evan's permission, of course :D)

~~

I have a request about this plugin

In photoshop into hue/saturation there is a checkbox which enable to correct hue using a specific color

I think that this plugin is really cool but it hadn't this command.

It will be implemented ?

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

Can you post a screenshot from Photoshop? I have Photoshop CS and the only checkedbox (other than "Preview") that I see in the hue/saturation dialog is "Colorize", which Paint.NET seems to have the equivalent of with the "Sepia" effect.

As for the question about different languages for the effect, there is no support for an external text file to add support for a new language, nor is there plans add this. However, the full project source code is available (see my previous post) and anyone that wants to change the language and re-distribute it can do so freely (please leave my name somewhere in the version information though).

Good, the command it's colorize [http].

I take a look to "seppia" command ... it doesn't do what i'm talking about.

It made all the image with a red/brown [seppia] color... but colorize command into photoshop give the possibility to trasform all the image with a single color [something simiilar to add a colored layer and made it transparent, but much better].

Try in into photoshop and you will see... I use it a lot, changing color to element [for example if I neeed to change the color of Xp folder icon, and i made a library with colorized icon]

For the language, for me it's not problem... I use both italian than english program.

I have problem only if I would like to reffer to one command [often italian translaton are really bad, try see Microsoft KN too -- better read in english][/img]

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

Ohhhhh, yeah I see what you mean. Yes I suppose I could probably add something like that in. This would be a "Set hue" action, as opposed to a "Add to hue" action on the pixels.

I'll probably try to add that a few weeks from now, it would be a good feature to have.

Perhaps the ability to choose the entire HSL field with hue, saturation, and luminosity and the ability to choose addition and subtraction for each.

~~

but i take a look in the first post in this topic. in heu/sat mask i haven't the same mask i see here.

Why?

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is quite the useful plugin, but (there's always a but) it would be even easier to use if you could use a color picker to do it as well?

Or is this already available and I'm missing it?

thanks! This is a great plugin...

-Mc

Ok there's a new version available. Download link is the same as in the original post:

http://www.evanolds.com/HueSatFilter.zip

You can now choose an action for both hue and saturation if you wish, instead of these actions being exclusive. Also, there's add and set modes for the hue, instead of just add.

BlueWallParams.png

Some of the requests that users made were not added to this version are not likely to be added to future versions (such as adding lightness values into the mix). Sorry if this is a disappointment, but feel free to make additional requests for future versions.

I just realize that i'm not using your plugin but i'm using paint.net native Hue/Saturation [go into menu level > image ] which is similar to photoshop - but it doesn't support colorize command.

I don't understand how to use it and how use colorize command

deviantart.jpg mp.jpg

I don't understand how to use it and how use colorize command

I'm not sure what you're having trouble with so I'll try to summarize the whole thing. This should serve as a general guideline for how to install/use the plug-in, then I'll describe how to use it for the equivalent of Photoshop's "colorize

First download the plug-in, and unzip it. Put the DLL in the "Effects" folder within the Paint.NET directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects". After that, run Paint.NET and the "Conditional Hue/Saturation..." item will show up under the "Effects" menu. A dialog should pop up that is similar to the one shown below.

Photoshop's "Colorize" option in their Hue/Saturation/Lightness adjustment sets the hue of every pixel to the same value, instead of adding a value to the hue of each pixel. So, to achieve this effect select the "Set" radio button within the "Hue Action" box. If you want it to be applied to the whole image, set the hue range from 0 to 360 (use the sliders, not the HS wheel).