Create A Frosted Snowman Cookie

lynxster4

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This is my first tutorial. I hope it is useful for you.

Plugins required:

Align Object 

BoltBait's Plugin Pack-Bevel Object

AA's Assistant    

BlendModesPlus   

Lydia's Little Snowman ShapePack:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/32531-lydias-little-snowman-pack/

This texture file:

satin.png                              

This is what we're creating (a version of this image is posted in the Shapes Forum, but it is a 'quick' color job. This tut will give more realistic frosting).

SM_01.png

1.  Make a blank transparent canvas, 600 x 800.

2.  Select your color: R-73, G-33, B-0.

3.  Select Shapes Tool. Select ‘SM Snowman’.

4.  Draw shape in Outline Mode with brush width set at 25; making note of how big you drew him (450x650).

5.  Deselect shape and center him using Align Object, directly under Effects menu.

6.  Erase brown eyes, nose, mouth and buttons.

7.  Using Paintbrush Tool, fill in with same color brown, the little spot (no need to be precise). Name layer ‘Cookie’.

SM_02.png

8.  Add New Layer, select off-white (R-248, G-248, B-248) as your primary color and draw another snowman in Fill Mode, slightly smaller (438 x 638); deselect and center. Use Paintbrush to fill in transparent areas. Name layer ‘Frosting’.

SM_03.png

9.  Add New Layer, draw the snowman in white again, using your original dimensions of 450 x 650, in Outline Mode, brush width of 5 and center him with Align Object.

10. Erase the body outline only! Then duplicate this layer 2 times, naming each layer appropriately (eyes, mouth, buttons) and erasing what you don’t need in each layer. (I like to keep things on             separate layers in case you make a mistake).

11. Select black, Paintbrush at 100% hardness, brush size 25. Use the white layers as guides.

12. Make new layer directly above the white ‘Eyes’ layer and make two black dots, clicking about 2-3 times.

13. Do the mouth, following the directions above in step 12, except the brush size will be smaller.

14. Change color to green, R-0, G-135, B-24, and do the buttons.

15. Change color to orange, R-255, G-90, B-20, and draw the snowman again, keeping it on Outline Mode, brush width 5, at 450 x 650, then center it.

16. Erase everything except the nose and make a new layer directly above the ‘Nose’ layer.

17. Fill the blank new layer with the orange color.

18. Go to ‘Nose’ layer and hit Magic Wand to select nose, then up to orange filled layer and hit Cut. (You could just fill the nose shape with orange from Paint Bucket, but you won’t get a total fill; this method ensures you do.)

SM_04.png

19. You can now delete all the white outline layers (eyes, mouth and buttons) and the orange nose outline.

20. Select ‘Frosting’ layer. Bevel object with these settings and apply AA’s assistant.

SM_05.png

21. Open pattern file satin_130. Edit—Select All, Edit—Copy (to the clipboard).

22. Select ‘Frosting’ layer, Magic Wand, Edit—Invert Selection.

23. Add new layer directly above and with new layer selected, go to Effects--Tools—BlendModesPlus, using these settings:

SM_06.png

24. Deselect image, open layer properties and rename to ‘Frosting Texture’.

25. Select eraser, brush width 250, hardness 0% and remove some of the solid gray in head and upper body; (go easy, use single, quick clicks!)

SM_07.png

26. Compare image 5 & 6 to see if you got rid of enough gray.

27. Open layer properties on ‘Frosting Texture’ layer and set opacity to about 150 – 160.

28. Select the ‘Eyes’ layer, do Effects—Object—Bevel Object, highlight color white, shadow color black at default settings.

29. Effects—Object—AA’s Assistant.  Eyes are done!

30. Repeat step 29 on the mouth and buttons.

31. Repeat step 29 on the nose, except use (2) AA’s Assistant.

You should now have something like this:

SM_08.png

32. Create a new layer, select the Shapes Tool, select SM Scarf and Draw Filled Shape with a shade of red.

33. Resize it until it properly fits around the snowman’s neck, deselect.

34. Do a Bevel Object and (2) AA’s Assistant on the scarf.

35. Create new layer for earmuffs; use same color green as for buttons.

36. Draw two filled ellipses and a line curve (at 10 brush width) similar as shown.

SM_09.png

37. Do a Bevel Object and AA’s Assistant on the earmuffs.

38. Now, to the ‘Cookie’ background!

39. Because we have so little cookie showing, we’ll use Effects—Noise—Grain at 170, -20.

40. Use Effects—Object—Bevel Object at a depth of 4, strength 0.30, using white highlight and black shadow.

41. Add a Drop Shadow if you wish, using a dark shade of brown.

SM_10.png

Now you have a Frosted Snowman Cookie!

Depending on color selected for the ‘Cookie’ layer, you can make sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies or molasses cookies.

If you want something like this:

SM_11.png

Simply reverse your two major layers. Make your ‘Cookie’ layer solid and use a texture or grain effect (or use Outline and fill with a gradient like the above picture, then use the grain effect).

Make your ‘Frosting’ layer in Outline Mode and apply Bevel and AA’s Assistant.

I hope everyone enjoys this tut and I would love to see your pictures!

EDITED: 12/6/15  -  Fixed a typo in Step 8.

• Upvote 6

I don't know much about cookies, but I do find this tutorial quite appealing. Looks like a cute outcome to me good2.gif

Thank you, Maximilian! I'm glad you like it. More cookies for Santa!   cat_santa_zpsc8tpthsx.gif

• Upvote 1

I absolutely LOVE this tutorial! It's easy to understand, something that would be commonly used and useful for a large group of PDN users, enjoyable and appreciated by a mega load of people on Pinterest website and the many boards it can be pinned to, truly adorable, and cool! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I'm going to link this onto my PDN website and I've saved it to a PDF document.

Thank you for taking the time to make this tutorial.

• Upvote 2

@Scrapbook.....Thank you, Lydia! Your comments are much appreciated. I'm glad you and others will find it useful.    :)

lynxster4! That result of yours is great. Thank you so much for your effort and time. For you a little gift.  tdb6fwbu.gif

Here's my finished product, I hope you like it.

3nzoeo4k.png

yuhwmswr.png

Edited by Seerose
  • Upvote 2

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Hi, Seerose! LaieA_060.gif That's a super cute result!Laie_97.gif

Thank you, Maximilian! I'm glad you like it. More cookies for Santa!   cat_santa_zpsc8tpthsx.gif

JC_cookies.gif

I'm going to link this onto my PDN website and I've saved it to a PDF document.

I'd very much like a link to that website if it's not too much to ask for LaieA_003.gif

• Upvote 1

lynxster4! That result of yours is great. Thank you so much for your effort and time. For you a little gift.  tdb6fwbu.gif

Here's my finished product, I hope you like it.

I love it, Seerose! He seems to 'pop' right out at you. I can assume you used a little more bevel?

And the Snowman family is adorable! Thank you for the pictures and the 'kitty gift'.     :mrviolet:

JC_cookies.gif

I'd very much like a link to that website if it's not too much to ask for LaieA_003.gif

Very cute cookie smiley gif, Maximilian!

I don't think Scrapbook (Lydia) would mind if I gave you the link to her website:   http://pdnscrapbooking.wix.com/scrapbooking#!blank/c24vq

It's a work in progress!     :)

Edited by lynxster4
  • Upvote 1

Looks great! Good enough to eat :D

Thank you BBQ! I'm glad you like it.    :)

Very cute cookie smiley gif, Maximilian!

I don't think Scrapbook (Lydia) would mind if I gave you the link to her website:   http://pdnscrapbooking.wix.com/scrapbooking#!blank/c24vq

It's a work in progress!     :)

I have a thing for smilies that has sometimes upset a few people, but I can't help using them when I have them at hand don-t_mention.gif

I assume they are a minority though, and one can't please everyone anyway meeting.gif

Thanks for the link! Looks like Lydia's been setting up a most promising project. Likey! Laie_98.gif

• Like 1

I have a thing for smilies that has sometimes upset a few people, but I can't help using them when I have them at hand don-t_mention.gif

I assume they are a minority though, and one can't please everyone anyway meeting.gif

Thanks for the link! Looks like Lydia's been setting up a most promising project. Likey! Laie_98.gif

Smileys are no problem with me...I love them! Have a rather large collection myself.

Keep checking Lydia's website as she adds more things.   dancing_zpseoua20dg.gif

He seems to 'pop' right out at you. I can assume you used a little more bevel?

Lynxster4! Yes. I noticed at the end. Sorry...  ;)   8lrkt8ep.gif

Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• Ego Eram Reputo featured this topic