How to Install Plugins ×

Unsharp Mask

romein

Unsharp Mask

Unsharp masking is a traditional film compositing technique used to sharpen edges in an image. The Unsharp Mask filter corrects blurring introduced during photographing, scanning, resampling, or printing. It is useful for images intended for both print and online viewing.

Download: http://www.fotoview.nl/UnsharpMask.zip

usm.jpg

To Install:

Put the "UnsharpMask.dll" file in the Paint.NET "Effects" directory
This is usually "C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects"
The effect is located in the Photo submenu

Unsharp Mask parameters:

Amount - The amount of contrast to increase in the image's pixels. (0 - 100)
Radius - The number of pixels to adjust around each edge. A lower value sharpens only the edge pixels, while a higher value sharpens a wider band of pixels. (5 - 200)
Threshold - The difference in lightness values that adjacent pixels must have before they are sharpened. (0 - 100)
Luminance only - Use this option to apply the effect only to the luminance channel. The unsharp mask can have a negative effect on the color balance when applied to the color data.

http://www.fotoview.nl

Edited by toe_head2001
Removed incompatibility note

Looks very impressive, both the effect and the UI controls.

I'll try it once I get home from work.

edit: wow, I posted before d.a did! all those nights of no sleep catching every post first must've caught up with him!

I love your icon for this. :-) Can't wait to use it.

Leif is correct - there is already an Unsharp Mask in Sharpen+, but it doesn't have the same UI quality as this one does. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.