How to Install Plugins ×

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2024-03-23) v.5.0.5.0

KrisVDM

hello guys,

I have a problem, I don' t find Drop Shadows effect in my "object" !!! I have installed Vandermottent plugin but nothing appears ! can anyone help me please ?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can somebody help me here, when I try to run the installer it says that I do not have Paint.NET installed even though I can clearly see it is installed and fully functional. Why doesn't it detect Paint.NET on my computer?

k0su29.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Kris.

I Have your (up to date) plugin's installed on my pc, but each time I run one Pdn is telling me that there is a newer version of your pack available. I know I am up to date with them, so why is it asking me to update? (should it be asking me? Just thought I would enquire with you here :)

Great plugins btw ;)

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

each time I run one Pdn is telling me that there is a newer version of your pack available.

It should say that only if you indeed do not have the latest version. You can download the latest version from http://users.telenet.be/krisvandermotten/Downloads/PaintDotNetEffects.html. Unzip and run the installer.

Kris,

When you packaged all your dll files into one inconvenient installer, did you leave an original package somewhere with just the dll files for those of us that need to copy them manually because we're emulating a PC, or running Paint.NET off a portable platform such as LiberKey on a USB drive, or didn't install our Paint.Net in the default directory, or, or ,or ,or?

Edited by Ruined1

MySig1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It should say that only if you indeed do not have the latest version. You can download the latest version from http://users.telenet...etEffects.html. Unzip and run the installer.

Hmm. I tried that but get a "404 page not found" error :/

[Edit] Never mind, I have just clicked on the link in the fisrt post and have downloaded them :)

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 4 weeks later...

When you packaged all your dll files into one inconvenient installer, did you leave an original package somewhere with just the dll files for those of us that need to copy them manually because we're emulating a PC, or running Paint.NET off a portable platform such as LiberKey on a USB drive, or didn't install our Paint.Net in the default directory, or, or ,or ,or?

Im not trying to be rude, but it's ignorant to assume everyone is running a standard Paint.Net installation in the default directory.

That would indeed be rather ignorant. The installer is detecting the folder in which you installed Paint.NET, if it was indeed installed. To be honest, I didn't consider LiberKey at the time, because I simply didn't know about it. The next version of the installer will though. And before you ask: no, I don't know when it will be released yet.

Hi Kris, thanks for the drop shadow effect. I was wondering if you have a vid tutorial or another thread somewhere on how to use your effects step by step? Thanks, I've been playing with them tonight and haven't been having much luck.

I've been playing with them tonight and haven't been having much luck.

If people don't have much luck with the drop shadow or object align effects, that's usually because they try them photo's or other images without transparency. You really need transparency around "objects" for these to have any effect.

If that's the case, could you be somewhat more specific about your problems?

• Upvote 1

If that's the case, could you be somewhat more specific about your problems?

Humm, maybe this drop shadow isn't the effect I was originally looking for if this is the case. IDK need an example of yours to see. What I was after is like a shadow border around a solid image that I can then, if I choose, lay on top of a solid border.405765_298075380239997_297912110256324_804401_633563914_n.jpg

Nope, that's exactly what you want ... still curious why you didn't just try it but here's an example shot(s) of the potential matching this application of the effect. (Not creative, just illustrative folks. Dont hate me for simplicity.)

Side by side walk through more or less with full transparency:

th_DropShadowExample.png

Side by side walk through with screen capture showing the areas of transparency:

th_DSwtransparencyshowing.png

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Humm, maybe this drop shadow isn't the effect I was originally looking for if this is the case. IDK need an example of yours to see. What I was after is like a shadow border around a solid image that I can then, if I choose, lay on top of a solid border.

This is exactly what the Drop Shadow effect is made for. But you need to use layers to make it work.

Fill you bottom layer with a background of your choice. In a second layer, place your image. This image now has transparent pixels around it, and the bottom layer is visible through them. Now apply the drop shadow to the top layer.

Yes that's it but when I click Drop shadow it applies it to my image as the exact same size. No bleed on the sides. Is why I asked if there was a tutorial link in the first place. What am I doing wrong?

Yes that's it but when I click Drop shadow it applies it to my image as the exact same size. No bleed on the sides.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean... Can you explain, or maybe point to an image on the web that has what you want?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean... Can you explain, or maybe point to an image on the web that has what you want?

>.< The one I DL a couple posts up is an example of what I'm trying to accomplish with your plug-in. I did that one on Picnik which offers the drop shadow too.

Well, I dont know if it's the full merger with Google at this point or what but I cannot determine how you do a drop shadow even dragging new image layers in with that other tool to create a comparison. Picnik never really focused on layer work-flow in my limited exposure to it. Even in the groups I could see reference to Drop Shadow, but I'm not finding it ... The way the corners are faded etc reminds me more of Sumo's layers ...

The sliders in the interface control the amount of blur or fade ... The maximum extent of this is about 24 pixels with the widening radius set to zero and the blur set to its maximum at 24. It will be uniform all around the object. You can create a fast mask of sorts but unchecking the keep original image. Creating a duplicate layer of the object and working on the one that will be below the original can allow you to zoom and distort the shadow and even run another couple of passes to extended the blur. Zoom blur and other distortion blending can help create a reversed irregular vignette halo effect.

Unlike Picnik and a few other services, PDN (and other advanced editors) offer you more options, but at the expense (sometimes) of fast simple filters and effects. There's a ton of ways to replicate what Kris has done with Drop Shadow, but the plugin is a great starting point as it allows fast and easy views of what you're aiming for.

**EDIT: Side-note that when working with large canvas sizes (3500x) some effects are not that helpful as the range of the effect is limited. This may also be something to consider when working with many of these plugins. In this case you'd have a very slight border on such a large canvas and it would be more limited for creating an equivalent effect.

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

OK guys thanks for the help. Think I got it (think, think, think...) It's not as err, "feathery" or soft shadow fade as I would like but it's workable less you know how to blend the edges of the shadow better. Here's examples from both places. Kudos for recognizing my user name boltbait.wink.png She's been a favorite of mine forever.

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Images removed - this is a family friendly forum.

Must have been a bit too much flesh on show. Shame as I really enjoyed your example image.

Siouxsie is an icon :music: (well 3 of us here think so ...)

RE: the fade ... have you tried lowering the opacity once you're happy with the shadow ? You could also try using a small amount of Gaussian Blur once you've rendered the drop-shadow

@Siouxsie: I could use the examples to try and determine what's what there. PM me with links. I'm not offended by this art. (Based on avatar and sample I'm pretty sure its in the same theme.) Based on the original I'm guessing you want a little more opacity in the blending and a slight irregularity to the shadow form.

I guess I should have said I'm also a fan of S and B ... Prior to her small mainstream hits in the early 80's ... seems like just yesterday now. :mrgreen:

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

I feel positively oogled. ;) Thanks for all the ideas and help. Here were my other comparisons (G rated) and yes, I think the gaussian blur effect might work!

PDNtest.png

pdnDS.png

PICNIKtest.png

picnikDS.png

Ah-ha! With the limits of layering, they put it under frames ... Didn't look hard enough. ... Okay, it's not much different. Mainly inset deeper and provides a little more distance in the fade. Looks uniform with the same rounded corners ... I'll see if I can explain how to get the corners to match and the feel of the fade in a few.

**EDIT: Kris' drop shadow is perfect for other things Rather, Kris' method is not what I'd start with for matching this effect from the folks at picnik though, you want to use Pyrochild's Outline Object Plugin ... It's almost an exact match set at:: Width: 100, Softness: 255, Normal blending and no angle. You'll still need to make your own background on the larger canvas and that effect can be applied either directly to the image over it or blended and distorted on a copy under it to achieve a greater range of results.

Obviously you'll have to dial it in to your liking, but this is the match you're looking for to get closer from the start.

**EDIT TWO: Or run Kris' drop shadow on a duplicate under the top layer with widening zero, blur 24 then run gausian blur at about 50-75 with keep original image un-checked ... then duplicate that layer and adjust the opacity to your liking if it is not dark enough to get the same effect ...

Hope that helps, and appologies for the double edit. Just didn't clue in on the multiple shadow layers soon enough and basically you can choose which method matches your whimsy ...

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans