How to Install Plugins ×

Color Replace

jchunn

Download Here

After struggling (and watching others struggle) with magic wand, I put this one together.

It is something like magic wand, but with the ability to fine tune the color and alpha channels, or ignore them altogether.

Options:

Tolerance (range):

Allows you to set a range or precision for the plugin to use when selecting (or excluding) pixels. If set to 50, for example, and Red is set to 100, it will select pixels that have a red channel value from 75 to 125 (a range of 50), assuming all other channels are ignored.

Red

Use Red Channel: check to include the red channel settings in the pixel selection criteria.

Value: The value of the red channel (+/- Tolerance) to look for when deciding whether or not to select a pixel.

Blue, Green, and Alpha... same as red.

Exclude: Un-check to pick pixels that meet criteria. Check to "invert" selection.

Fill: Uncheck to "delete" selected pixels. Check to fill selected pixels with primary color. You can then use the "real" magic wand with a low tolerance to select that color (or transparency) if you want to run another effect based on that selection.

"Color Replace" will show up in the menu: "Effects->Color Replace".

Here are some examples:

Original image:

(image link broken)

Starting with the original, you can do lots of other things, like:

(image link broken)

Enjoy,

Jesse Chunn

12758_35fd220a2eaa2b46e7c609c59aad30b6

12758_a5243967c3019edf7d6db75ea4b9024b

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Plugin link updated

Total hack.

Sorry, have I done something wrong or why is Color Filter in "Render"? It should be in "Color" or "Adjustments". Reason: Nothing is rendered (border, star,...).

Sorry, have I done something wrong or why is Color Filter in "Render"? It should be in "Color" or "Adjustments". Reason: Nothing is rendered (border, star,...).

Well, I don't think it goes in adjustments (maybe I'm wrong?) and there is no "color" in the default menus. I can either force it into "effects->color" (I'm guessing someone else has a plugin that creates a "color" menu), or create another more appropriate menu, or put it in one of the existing menus. Any other suggestions? I'll be happy to move it with the next update... please post any opinions.

Total hack.

I rarely say this, but in this case I actually think this one doesn't belong in any sub-menu. I think it belongs right in the Effects menu.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Just another thing, its a good plugin but there is already one called color filter, so maybe a better name to distinguish it? More like color replace?

"By trying to reinvent the wheel every time we find very often with square wheels" ...X-blaster

Just another thing, its a good plugin but there is already one called color filter, so maybe a better name to distinguish it? More like color replace?

Yes, I figured that out after I posted it. I will rename it very soon. Sorry for that... I guess I should have searched for the name first.

Total hack.

I rarely say this, but in this case I actually think this one doesn't belong in any sub-menu. I think it belongs right in the Effects menu.

I think pyrochild is right.

"Render" is definately the worst place for it. No-one would expect to have it there. If you place it in Render, you could also place it in "Blurs", "Distort" or whatever. Both of them would make more sense (in my own opinion).

A Color submenu exists, even though not being built in, mine has quite a lot of entries, I think most of them from Ed Harvey.

However, as there isn't an appropriate submenu I second pyrochild. A further benefit of placing it directly in Effects would be that you get it immediately without searching subs.

Ok, so the next update should include:

Move to "effects" menu (no submenu).

Change name to "color replace".

Create a post called "jchunn plugin pack" (suggested in a PM from Ash) since all of the plugins are in one dll.

If nobody disagrees or wants to debate further, that will be in the next round, along with another new plugin called "Stencil" (who can guess what that does?)

Total hack.

Ok, so the next update should include:

Move to "effects" menu (no submenu).

Change name to "color replace".

Create a post called "jchunn plugin pack" (suggested in a PM from Ash) since all of the plugins are in one dll.

If nobody disagrees or wants to debate further, that will be in the next round, along with another new plugin called "Stencil" (who can guess what that does?)

I prefer Color Filter: there is no replacement here, just a filtrering, a level adjustment. :?

I prefer Color Filter: there is no replacement here, just a filtrering, a level adjustment. :?

No, actually it is a replacement. It either replaces the "matched" pixels with a transparent pixel (you could call that a "delete" instead of a replacement I guess), or the primary color.

Total hack.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Just want to clarify on how to use the plugin,

1. First pick the color that you like with the color picker or input manually in the color wheel.

Next, take note of the undesired color.  There will be different shades, take note of the max, median, and the minimum color information

for the undesired colors (shades of color).

2. Depending on if the background is transparent and your color replacing needs,

You must then select the pixels you want involved in the color change with 1 of the 4 select tools in the left column of the tool box.

3. Now select the color replacer tool. 

You have already chosen your desired color, so speaking onward of the undesired colors.

For the range, its the biggest max minus the smallest min which you should have taken note earlier.

The color information refers to the median color information which again you should have noted earlier.

Exclude mode should be called exclude selection, obviously we are leaving this unchecked most of the time.

Fill mode should be checked most of the time since we are using this tool to replace the colors not to erase them. 

The author should not have included the fill mode option as it should be implied.  The delete key exists for a reason.

I would have also added "Color information for color you want to replace", and changed word tolerance for range.

Edited by ericore

• 1 year later...