Image Umbrella: Image Modification/Manipulation

david.atwell

@Skullbonz

Very cool. Looking at the flower it's almost hard to tell that it evolved from the pic on the left. Tell me though,

did you strictly use plugins to generate that image or did you have to draw anything?

Either way, I'm impressed. Had I set out to transform a skyline with virtually no clouds into a gorgeous flower I probably

would of given up halfway through in despiration to find the right plugin combinations.

Out of curiosity, did you remember roughly how many you used?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm here I'd like to post my own creation. ****EDIT****

Moved to Spectre's Gallery

Edited by Spectre

SigSpec2.png

Thank you Fuzzy and Spectre. I didn't save that as a pdn file or set out to make the flower,it was an experiment that didn't go the way I had wanted but I saved the finished product anyways because it looked like a flower. I believe I used a combination of Mirror,Tr's Explode,Bulge to the negative side of the slider and some blending modes. I might have even used the Polar Inversion Plus also in there. It usually works out that the ones I don't pay much attention to how I make that people rave about and the ones I pay attention to the steps no one asks,lol,sorry. Experimentation with different plugins is the key and exposes many different looks that you may or may not be looking for. Text book techniques are fine for making certain things but may not work for others,think outside the box and you will surprise yourself. ;)

Nice pic Spectre.  :)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Just a quick Thank You  to you all, for the kind and understanding comments.

​Going to try something else, soon.......

..now where are those  phase reduction coils???

And  Welshblue , ya just have to understand that: Dogs have masters4d80504d.gif, Cats have staff  thkitty.gif  ,,,,see? simples roflmao_zps227429dd.gif

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

I caught her playing with matches again....what to do?, what to do?

100% PDN except for the portrait....

@Scooter regarding THIS PIC

I gotta say actually "drawing" within Paint.NET is probably the hardest thing to master (at least in my case) and I must tip my hat to you sir for the effort.  Even though they may not acheive an accute degree of photo realism every element is easily identified so coodos on that my friend.

A special mention for the flame of the match which slightly surpasses the rest by the way.

If I were you and had some time on my hands, I'd try to figure out a way to create some dynamic lighting or added texture on the matchstick to give it that added degree of "believeableness"

So once again, well done and keep on Painting B)

SigSpec2.png

Spectre, 

Many thanks for the helpful words and ideas.

I agree completely, with your assessment of the match needing more texture.

However I had reached my current limit of drawing ability and decided to stop before I went totally bonkers. (despite what some near me feel, I have already done-sigh)

smiley-chores032.gifI am looking forward to my next project, to see what can be done. 

Scooter

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Muahaha!

scream-1.gif AHHH! 

Run for Your LIVES!bbcced5f.gif

• Upvote 1

Scooter

I positively refuse to sing/add any verse about, clover or rolling or any such nonsense. Besides I'm too pure for that sort of thing... Angel_zps59bcff5e.gif

Oh, bye the bye whilst perusing the info web net  I came across a picture of two of our own fine fellows ( No doubt the basis of their  musical references) in days gone by -I supposeb9d093d7.gif

TheSoundofMusic-Still1PLUS_zps31250253.j

text PDN/ picture for Illustration purpose only  

Edited by Scooter
  • Upvote 2

Scooter

• 3 weeks later...

ScifiGirl:

Good job. 

Well done  adding the attractive face to the "new girl".

Your new figure has a very nice,realistic overlap of the base picture. As well as being in proportion to the others.

If I may be so bold to offer a few points to consider on you next project?......If You don't want to hear them just ignore me--many in my house do roflmao.gif   

• add just a hint of highlight to the edge of new girls uniform to separate it from base pic. guy
  • add a touch of blur to new girls hair to minimize the sharp contrast with base pic. 
  • see what you can do to to increase the new girls face, in the area of brightness/contrast and tweaking the color to better emulate the other faces 
  • In the, "getting far afield-but what the heck" catagory you could look at the idea of cutting/reversing/pasting about 1/3d of the base picture over to the right side of your work. this would give you a background for new girl and not have her cut off at the edge

Regardless, your initial effort is very good and worth the effort you put into it.

It "checks off' most of the boxes on any projects to do list. Keep on drawing, you have a good eye for this.a9d6fd58.gif

Edited by Scooter
  • Upvote 1

Scooter

Scooter!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you so much, I really appreciate your critique, like my Dad says all the time, take the hint kiddo, its how we learn. :)

That effort took me about 12 hours in several shifts Lol... so yeah I have a lot to learn. One of the things I really wanted to do, was to make her (me actually) 'fit' in with the same textures and hues. As you can see, the uniform doesn't have the same softness or relief as Cam's does. When I get some time, I'll try and do it again, so I am so grateful for your comments.

Yes I am one of those who do listen to my elders.....most of the time.

your quote "I'm too young, to be this old" is that from Garth Brooks song? "I'm much too young to be this old."

NewCatesiggy_zps1bc90d52.jpg

"Geek is me"

ScifiGirl, anything worth doing takes time. Your image is a testament to that. I think you did really well. Yes, you should start your own gallery. It will help us to help you. All of the advice will be in one place & will help you too :D

Here is a photo that I edited. Would have loved to do the Lomo look but maybe that will happen one day :P

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/121/0/9/wood_witch_by_barbieq25-d7gqkp9.png  

Wood Witch - photo edit

• Upvote 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

thank you so much for the compliment barbi, and I will soon start my own gallery. Time is my enemy atm as I am in the middle of exams for my post grad.

I did do a small forum sig for one of my friends very early this morning.....like 4:30 am early Lol

Kim1_zpsaea076d8.jpg

"Geek is me"

That effort took me about 12 hours in several shifts

Heck even Michelangelo took a more than couple days on the chapel ceiling.. b9d093d7.gif

One of the things I really wanted to do, was to make her (me actually) 'fit' in with the same textures and hues.   you're getting there; you did great on replacing the face.  

As you can see, the uniform doesn't have the same softness or relief as Cam's does. same as above  

Yes I am one of those who do listen to my elders.....most of the time.        thank heavens! you have a sense of humor----whew! I was worried for just a second.

your quote "I'm too young, to be this old" is that from Garth Brooks song? "I'm much too young to be this old."    no, I gave it to him because he was stuck for a cool phrase  to say to his fans, so he called me up..... and,  and,     and..................then again,maybe not, it's hard to remember for sure whistle.gif

p.s. nice sig block for your friend -(your goin'a have to show me how you figure these out)---OH Wait I get it; Talent- that's the ticket! happy0005.gif you have it, I wish for it getsmileyCAMPQHPO.gif

Scooter

now I really need that LMAO smilie of mine :D I am speechless Scooter, I read this over and over and almost peed myself laughing. Thankyou for making my day :)

It's still not up to my best quality, but I am getting there I think. As for making the sigs, I've been doing it for 5 years now and I just realised that I did at one time have PDN before I had PS and Gimp. It never dawned on me until this morning when I opened up my old download logs that I had saved in a separate file....

this is what I have done in the past.

CateHughes-newforpaintnet_zps0ace4b16.jp

now I really need that LMAO smilie of mine :D I am speechless Scooter, I read this over and over and almost peed myself laughing. Thankyou for making my day :)

It's still not up to my best quality, but I am getting there I think. As for making the sigs, I've been doing it for 5 years now and I just realised that I did at one time have PDN before I had PS and Gimp. It never dawned on me until this morning when I opened up my old download logs that I had saved in a separate file....

this is what I have done in the past.

CateHughes-newforpaintnet_zps0ace4b16.jp

"Geek is me"

First, feel free to copy the LMO smile I got it off a "emoticons for free" web site.

second, ought I send send "nappies" with my messages384a4b7d.gif?   don't want to make you feel reticent about reading my messagesbd36c5b1.gif

third ; 5 years?  no wonder I'm so far behind - you've been practicing!!  I'd send you a bribe to teach me your secrets, but with the exchange rate you'd be gettin'  shorted (5e5ec9fd.gif shocking, I know)

Best wishes on your examsanimated_gif_animals_0173.gif.        Keep adding to your portfolio as you can, it'll cut down on the stress getsmileyCAGO35YW.gif  

• Upvote 1

Scooter

I never realized this section was here.Ive been sitting here for weeks thinking to myself"how come no one in PDN does photo manipulations"Ha.Heres one already in my gallery.

Afartica-1.png

elephantt.jpg

ice.jpg

Edited by johnnysdream

Johnny's Dream, that is very nicely done! The only part that I don't like is the moon. Maybe lower the opacity or change the blend mode?

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Johnny's Dream, that is very nicely done! The only part that I don't like is the moon. Maybe lower the opacity or change the blend mode?

Agreed.Fixed.Oh,thank you very much btw.

Edited by johnnysdream

First, feel free to copy the LMO smile I got it off a "emoticons for free" web site.

second, ought I send send "nappies" with my messages384a4b7d.gif?   don't want to make you feel reticent about reading my messagesbd36c5b1.gif

third ; 5 years?  no wonder I'm so far behind - you've been practicing!!  I'd send you a bribe to teach me your secrets, but with the exchange rate you'd be gettin'  shorted (5e5ec9fd.gif shocking, I know)

Best wishes on your examsanimated_gif_animals_0173.gif.        Keep adding to your portfolio as you can, it'll cut down on the stress getsmileyCAGO35YW.gif  

like this one icon_rotflmao_zps669757d2.gif

samanime27.gif

you see I can virtually talk with my smilies samanime37.gif

cylon-pancarte03.gif

samanime49.gif

anubis-pancarte01.gifess

I did say almost icon_rotflmao_zps669757d2.gif I don't think I've actually done that since I was about 14 or so :P

You would think after all this time I would be an expert, but I've found I'm always learning new things from people like you :D

exams. schams, I just want to finish them so I can move on, but thank you, I think I'm doing okay for the moment.

I think some time next week I might have  a portfolio up :D

Johnny, you should try it again, only this time cut it at the lower horizon so the icescape looks as if its beyond the heard as if they would run over a cliff and into it :D

"Geek is me"

Agreed.Fixed.Oh,thank you very much btw.

Yep, looks so much better :D You are welcome. That is why we post up images so that others can benefit as well as ourselves. :D

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

@ Johnnysdream, great creative idea, I like it. I do see room for improvements on *blending* the two images, or maybe the lighting of the blue part, but it's not bad and the general idea of the image is very cool. Keep up the good work.  :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

@ Johnnysdream, great creative idea, I like it. I do see room for improvements on *blending* the two images, or maybe the lighting of the blue part, but it's not bad and the general idea of the image is very cool. Keep up the good work.  :)

Correct.It is not a pro job with the blending but I think its acceptable.Passable.Lol,you should have seen it before.There is a ton of smudge tool going on all over the shoreline and other places.I wanted to get the shoreline......well...to look like a shoreline.With the water washing up on the edge like a beach.You know what I mean.Couldn't figure it out.HEY!! I guess that's what the image hospital is for.Lol.I think that would have helped give it a much more legit look.Sadly,I don't think Ill spend much more time on this image because I didn't save it as a PDN file the last time.And no way I'm starting over.So the blue part,was it too bright?Too dark?I'm thinking too bright.Unless you meant something else entirely.If you look closely at the African picture,I believe its NOT a sunny day but it looks overcast.So perhaps the snow part is too bright?Either way,Im moving on to a different photo manipulation involving the Grand Canyon into an alien world/future city in the next day or so I've been working on for several days.It probably wont be pro quality but it will be close.I'll need feedback on it as well.And thank you for the advice and compliment.