Image Umbrella: Image Modification/Manipulation

david.atwell

On 1/21/2015 at 3:05 PM, MikeRobe said:

It's my sister's guinea pig attacking Tokyo.

Not bad. There seems to be smoke missing from one of the fires caused by the laser sight though.

Oh, and by the way, you are compressing your image the wrong way. ;) Dithering is awful and ugly. What you want to use is something like OptiPNG, or better yet, PNGGauntlet. I put your image through PNGGauntlet and it shaved more than 500KB off the file size. B)

-------------------------------------

Here's one I did while experimenting trying to come up with a way to do 'cross stitch'. Tell me what you think. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Effects used: Median, Pixelate, and Grid / Checkerboard

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Water-Lilies-and-Japanese-Bridge-(1897-1899)-Monet.jpg

cross-stitch.png

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I don't think I dithered anything - what you're seeing is a roughened vignette, for that 'grunge' effect.

There is also definitely smoke there, but it's probably not as noticeable as the other plumes.

Yours is pretty good, it does look a lot like cross-stitch. Perhaps duplicate the layer twice, add noise, motion blur the first up, the second across, blend layers. The best blend mode seems to be 'Darken'.

It adds a little more 'thread-y' texture to it. :)

signature.png

:cookie-chocolate: I baked another one...

On 1/24/2015 at 5:12 PM, MikeRobe said:

I don't think I dithered anything - what you're seeing is a roughened vignette, for that 'grunge' effect.

There is also definitely smoke there, but it's probably not as noticeable as the other plumes.

Oh, my mistake.

On 1/24/2015 at 5:12 PM, MikeRobe said:

Yours is pretty good, it does look a lot like cross-stitch. Perhaps duplicate the layer twice, add noise, motion blur the first up, the second across, blend layers. The best blend mode seems to be 'Darken'.

It adds a little more 'thread-y' texture to it. :)

Fancy. Not really cross stitch, but still a cool stitches/threaded effect. Thanks man. The thumbnail doesn't do it justice... click through

stitches-thumb.png

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I love the picture Toe_Head2001. The garden bridge image makes for a great picture to give artistic and creative effects to. :)

For some special effects I personally like the Jitter and Stitch plugins. They are from this plugin pack : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/7291-pyrochild-plugins-2014-2-08/
I've also found the FurBlur plugin to be nice for adding texture, as seen in the Seascape tutorial.

• 2 weeks later...

Skully - if that doesn't end up in the Galleria I'll eat my mouse. Awesome work!

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone. Seeing as no one has posted another picture in awhile I am posting a couple I made for a historical society. This one I did for the Wilmington Historical society in Wilmington ,Vermont. This is the center of town using an old picture from around 1880-1900 before cars for the center and a present day picture that I took from about the same angle. In the old you can see a mountain, Haystack mountain, which now is blocked by the trees that have grown quite bigger as you can see in the new part above it. Most of the buildings are still there but the bridge and roadway has changed quite a bit.  

44-d_zpsxqqqblan.png

This one is at the upper end of Harriman reservoir. There used to be a dam/railroad tressle with a mill below it on the left as you can see in the old which is gone now and it's one big lake. On the right there was a village and shops for the people who worked at the mill and logging the surrounding mountains. The loggers used to float their logs down the two rivers feeding into this area and the mill would scoop them out, mill them and send the boards out on the railroad. Eventually the power company dammed the whole thing up, 7 miles worth,and generate power with the water. They allow recreational uses but with no overnight mooring or camping. I did this for the historical society also.

42-c_zpsy4pyb4z7.png

( TR's EFX was used)   ;)

Edited by skullbonz
  • Upvote 1

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay, so this isn't a spectacular image modification, but it's my first efforts at cleaning out some unwanted background in photos. So here's a picture of my horse Athena, taken just as the sun went down today. In the foreground was a dead branch laying on the ground on the bottom left hand side, and a concrete slab on the bottom right hand corner. Also, there were some extremely tall weeds sticking up above her back. So I've copied and pasted to try and get rid of these things. Be gentle, I'm just learning.

Athena%20Profile%202_zps5chjcahe.jpg

• Upvote 2

I know it's generally considered better to avoid unwanted extras when framing the shot, but sometimes with animals, that's easier said than done!

So here is the original:

IMG_1908_zpsh8qcdx8q.jpg

Edited by Markie Madden

• 4 weeks later...

Markie

Well done .   You have a good eye on how to employ the tools  as well as how to crop for the most effective layout. Keep trying different things, to get a feel of how to get PDN to work best for you.

Edited by Scooter

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️