downloading plugin problem

And you're following those steps precisely?

Make sure:

1. You're not trying to open the DLL file. It's not meant to be opened, just placed in the Effects folder.

2. You restarted Paint.NET.

3. You don't have anuthing other than Paint.NET DLLs in the Effects folder.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Like the tutorial in the link you provided, I save the plugins, and place them in the effects folder for paint.net. I then unblock them (if needed) in properties, leave it and then I go to paint.net. The Ed Harvey effects should appear in the effects menu where they should be, but don't appear. I think there is something I'm missing. Nothing else is in the effects folders except for the plugins.

Well, Ed Harvey's effects require two DLLs to be extracted from the ZIP and placed into the Effects folder. Have you put both of them in there?

Also, the effects appear in several various submenus within the Effects menu. Some are in Blurs, others in Distort. They aren't all in the Effects menu proper.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

You need to be logged in as an administrator, I think.

You might try saving it to the desktop and moving it to the Effects folder.

Restart Paint.NET and see if it's there.

No. You MUST remove the DLL from the ZIP file.

You need to move those DLL files into the C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects folder.

I've tried that also, sometimes it appears, and sometimes it says that the folder is empty. I got confused at a certain point, so I started over, extracted the files and then unblocked them. I then went to see if they installed, but they didn't.

Hmm.....Mabye re-install Paint.NET into a locatation apart from the C:// drive? (Well, as in "My Documents")

• 3 weeks later...

I found a solution to plugin installation on Vista. I found out that there wasn't an extract here option when installing the plugins to their proper place, and the solution to this is to manually copy each plugin individually (if it comes in a pack) to the effects folder and then unblocking each one. After doing this, the plugins now work. Thanks for the much needed help. It has helped me come to realize something as I have tried this yesterday on an XP and it worked. I just had to do something slightly different for Vista. :)

• 2 months later...