Sig-Of-The-Week Discussion - 17 is on!

Crazy Man Dan

SOTW Discussion

IGNORE THIS! I've not yet gotten around to the updating bit... <_<

Current Competition : SOTW 16

Enter here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24372

/IGNORE

Welcome, friend:

Welcome to the shiny new Sig-Of-The-Week (SOTW) discussion thread! I'm making a new one since the original got to be 46 pages long. I'm also going to use this thread to start the SOTW Annals of History! The Annals will be updated upon the completion of each voting cycle, and upon the choice of the next theme. It can be found at the end of this message.

This thread is for discussing possible themes for future SOTW competitions. Anyone can suggest a theme, but the final choice of the theme for the next competition is decided by the winner of the last competition. So, if you have a great idea and you want to make sure that's the one we do next, make a bang-up entry for the current round and win! :wink:

SOTW in Practice:

The approximate schedule of the SOTW is bi-weekly, with one week dedicated to the creation of the sig, and the next for voting in a winner and choosing the theme for the next competition. The competition opens on a Monday, and runs through the coming Sunday. Voting opens on Monday of the second week, and lasts from that Monday through the coming Thursday. The winner, announced Friday, has through the weekend to choose the next theme. If a theme is not chosen by the winner by the coming Monday, I will choose the next theme from the suggestions.

What you should do here:

This thread is the Discussion thread for the SOTW, which means any discussion regarding the SOTW should go in here. You'll notice in the SOTW rules, posted in the opening post of each SOTW competition thread, that the competition thread is for submissions ONLY. If you'd like to comment on someone's entry, here's what you should do:

• 1: Click the Quote button in the post on which you wish to comment
    2: Click in the message field and press [Ctrl]+[A] (Select All), followed by [Ctrl]+[C] (copy)
    3: Press the Back button of your browser
    4: Navigate your way back to this thread (A link back here is given in the opening thread of each competition)
    5: Click the button to post a new message in this thread
    6: Paste the quote into the message field and type out your response

This helps keep the Submission thread clean, so viewers aren't sifting through both submissions and comments when voting time rolls around.

Note that if you do mistakenly post a comment in the Submission thread, I will move that comment from there into this thread for you. There will be no competition penalty, just don't be surprised when your post magically changes places.

And that's about all for now:

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for following these rules as closely as possible. I look forward to seeing your entries, and I hope you take some time out to vote in each competition! Your entries keep things diverse and interesting, and your votes make it worth the time everyone takes to make a submission. Cheers and beers!

The SOTW Annals of History

The Continuing Saga of the SOTW Competition, complete with past themes and winners.

Current Competition : SOTW 16

We're currently discussing a theme for this one. Crimson, the winner of the last SOTW, will be the one to choose the final theme.

Past Competitions :

SOTW 15 - Chinese New Years

• 1st: Crimson
    2nd: -Expiration-
    3rd: Tendercrisp

SOTW 14 - Valentine's Day

• 1st: -Expiration-
    2nd: MadJik
    3rd: Fire_Ants

SOTW 13 - Polar Inversion

• 1st: aile
    2nd: olav.k.m
    3rd: usedHONDA
    Honorary "Good Sport" Award: BoltBait - For participating in the competition based around the effect he hates the most.

SOTW 12 - Winter

• 1st: cjmcguinness
    2nd: olav.k.m
    3rd(t): Andrew D, david.atwell, TheVoid

SOTW 11 - Minimalism

• 1st : Helio
    2nd : jake2k
    3rd : david.atwell

SOTW 10 - Liturature

• 1st : Mike.Ryan52
    2nd : cjmcguinness
    3rd : [ 7-way tie ]

SOTW 9 - Time

• 1st : Rubrica
    2nd(t) : barkbark00, BoltBait, BuzzKill, swistak

SOTW 8 - Jerbert Family of Mascots

• 1st : BuzzKill
    2nd : jpope
    3rd : MadJik

SOTW 7 - Seven New Wonders of the World

• 1st : Crazy Man Dan
    2nd : BuzzKill
    3rd : jpope

SOTW 6 - Friday the 13th

• 1st : Crazy Man Dan
    2nd(t) : BuzzKill, pyrochild

SOTW 5 - Weather

• 1st : cjmcguinness
    2nd : jpope
    3rd : barkbark00

SOTW 4 - TRON

• 1st : Sandman
    2nd(t) : BoltBait, The_Lionhearted

SOTW 3 - Favorite Band

• 1st : The_Lionhearted
    2nd : Helio
    3rd : cjmcguinness

SOTW 2 - Sin City

• 1st : barkbark00

SOTW 1 - Easter

• 1st : BuzzKill
    2nd : Myrddin
    3rd : Jake2k

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Bravo! Excellently done, CMDan!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

The winners are posted in the competition thread, and the Annals have been updated to reflect the winners. Thanks to everyone for participating in this one! :)

Now, toss out some ideas for the next. You may want to reference the end of the old thread for previously suggested ideas.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Polar Inversion. That's what I suggest.

And also, I lost again :(

Polar Inversion has been suggested many times before, and I have been a real advocate of this as I believe the effect is much maligned.

Therefore, I'd like to see what the cream of the PDN users crop can really do with this effect - so my decision is the SOTW #13 will be 'Polar Inversion'. And, the timing is excellent as Ed Harvey has just released his v3.20 Effects Pack and this includes 'Polar Inversion Plus'.

Let's get it on!

-CJ

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

Polar Inversion. That's what I suggest.

And also, I lost again :(

Polar Inversion has been suggested many times before, and I have been a real advocate of this as I believe the effect is much maligned.

Therefore, I'd like to see what the cream of the PDN users crop can really do with this effect - so my decision is the SOTW #13 will be 'Polar Inversion'. And, the timing is excellent as Ed Harvey has just released his v3.20 Effects Pack and this includes 'Polar Inversion Plus'.

Let's get it on!

-CJ

I will say one thing, the new Polar Inversion is beautiful. Because the object of the inversion is now controllable as where the center is, it means we can use that to our advantage, and to be honest, I used it in this.

I've compared them, and I really like PP+ a ton better. Mabye now people could get something more original done using Clouds and that.... :)

When I try to get the new ed harvey package, it says that website doesn't exist. Is there another link to it?

sig2.jpg

"All that we are is a result of what we have thought. The mind is everything,

what we think we become." Buddha

When I try to get the new ed harvey package, it says that website doesn't exist. Is there another link to it?

The server his website is on is probably down at the moment. Be patient.

Polar Inversion, eh? Would this count :) :

siggyconcepto.png

Yes, the background was made with Polar Inversion.

I didn't notice you used a polar inversion on that.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

How about black and white. Just making a sig that black and white. (was that done before?)

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Yes, at least something similar. SOTW #2 was Sin City, in which everything had to be black, white, and red.

And:

... so my decision is the SOTW #13 will be 'Polar Inversion'. ...

;)

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Yes, at least something similar. SOTW #2 was Sin City, in which everything had to be black, white, and red.

And:

... so my decision is the SOTW #13 will be 'Polar Inversion'. ...

;)

oh darn. :|

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity.......is this still going on? Did anyone make a sig?

sig2.jpg

"All that we are is a result of what we have thought. The mind is everything,

what we think we become." Buddha