How to Install Plugins ×

Toli's Effects (v2.0.2, 20 Jan. 2008)

Toli

Yeah, there's no requirement as to what borderstyle a plugin uses. While I do like the sleeker, thinner look of the Layers window and whatnot, I also like having the icon in the titlebar :D

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Yeah, there's no requirement as to what borderstyle a plugin uses...

Yep, thats true, afaik. But it's also true that a uniform look (and feel) throughout all the many windows and dialogs a program may have benefits the user the most (there are even studies about that!) So, e.g., where a submenu can get the job done (group of related commands), it surely is the UI element to be used (it's not only my opinion, see 1).

Any deviation from well established standards just confuses the average user. Instead of learning one convention for L&F throughout all applications of a given S.O. :D, s/he has to 'learn by application'... :?

1 Windows Look and Feel Design Guidelines, Microsoft Press.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

~Dr. Seuss

FormBorderStyle is not constant neither in Windows as a whole, nor even in Paint.NET. Some windows have it FixedToolWindow, others SizableToolWindow, other FixedDialog / FixedSingle (they look almost the same) and the Main window has it Sizable, of course. No applications keep the same FormBorderStyle in all their windows.

Different FormBorderStyles are well suited for different windows, depending of their content and usage. That's why there is more than one FormBorderStyle anyway. Take a look at other applications you use and stop bugging me about things you don't understand well.

FormBorderStyle is not constant neither in Windows as a whole, nor even in Paint.NET. Some windows have it FixedToolWindow, others SizableToolWindow, other FixedDialog / FixedSingle (they look almost the same) and the Main window has it Sizable, of course. No applications keep the same FormBorderStyle in all their windows.

Different FormBorderStyles are well suited for different windows, depending of their content and usage. That's why there is more than one FormBorderStyle anyway. Take a look at other applications you use and stop bugging me about things you don't understand well.

Well... :evil:

I was thinking in giving some opinion that could (possibly / perhaps / who knows...) serve as a basis for further discussion for us as a whole, not for a single person, but due to your lack of maturity (yep, this happens at all ages...) and highly inflated self assessment (no, I was not talking to you, just giving an opinion following what pyrochild said - did you notice the quote I used there?) I'll have to answer directly to you. Sorry folks...

Take a look at other applications you use and stop bugging me about things you don't understand well.

Dude, the world does not revolve around you! I gave up discussing with you since when it became crystal clear that you didn't had a clue about things you were making assertions of.

Even being - to put it in simple terms - a software developer for the industry and not just a theoretical genius wanna be, I do take a look not only at other applications but also to all actual work that my team develop; the difference between you and me seems to be that I can look and actually see; I do abstract patterns that guide all my work... so please, forget about me, get a life, be humble!

[/end of a ridiculous discussion - for good!]

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

~Dr. Seuss

I still really don't understand why you're saving settings/preferences in a location that is only admin writeable. Or why you're re-writing ResourceManager and trying to get other plugin authors to use it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

The plugins are not broken. They do function. Nobody complained about any error.

If the user does not have writing rights to the location of Paint.NET, then the configuration will not be saved.

For example the plugin window will not remember tis position. That's all. The localization stuff will work anyway, because it is read-only. And as the texts for OK and Cancel Buttons, for now, the class PdnResources still exists. Until it dissappeares, I will correct the code.

So, if you don't mind, I don't think it is necessary to remove the links for now.

• 2 weeks later...

This latest version of Mirror/Rotate plugin doesn't seem to be capable of rotating a Selection, unfortunately. When I tried your first release of the plugin it did work with a pasted Selection.

Now with the pasted Selection(s), it will rotate but cuts off the majority of the pasted Selection in the dotted lines and gets lost. It seems to only like to rotate the entire layer instead.

What went wrong with this latest version?

I find myself continuously having to switch the same image back and forth between GIMP and Paint.NET just to get the job done...

If the selection is square, it will be rotated as expected.

If it is not square, but rectangular, rotating it will:

1. produce nothing (transparent) in the lateral areas

2. clip whatever would go outside the selection (because Paint.NET doas not alow the plugins to write outside the selection)

Note: this is true for 90 / 270 degrees rotate. 180 degrees rotate works as expected.

If the selection is square, it will be rotated as expected.

If it is not square, but rectangular, rotating it will:

1. produce nothing (transparent) in the lateral areas

2. clip whatever would go outside the selection (because Paint.NET doas not alow the plugins to write outside the selection)

Note: this is true for 90 / 270 degrees rotate. 180 degrees rotate works as expected.

Thank you for you reply. I suppose that this is a design flaw in Paint.NET itself then, something that really should be basic functionality in the program itself. I guess I will just have to work with moving entire layers around for now then. Keep up the great work with your plugins Toli.

Cheers,

Dave

The Plugin API for Paint.NET only allows a plugin to use the area that is selected. It cannot touch any pixels from outside of that selection on that layer.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The Plugin API for Paint.NET only allows a plugin to use the area that is selected. It cannot touch any pixels from outside of that selection on that layer.

Up until today, I wasn't even aware of how simple it was to use the right mouse button to rotate the selection (with or without holding Shift) and that is more then sufficient enough for my needs. Quite handy indeed. So I take back what I said about any flaws in Paint.NET with regards to rotating selections. It couldn't be any easier. I am enjoying this program more and more each day. I think the only thing keeping me switching back once in a while to the GIMP is the GIMPressionist plugin that applies textures with ease to images (or selected regions).

Toli,

Maybe that is something you could take on...

http://vidar.gimp.org/gimpressionist/shots.html

http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-gimpressionist.html

We're not haters here. Our own Crazy Man Dan uses the GIMP with aplomb and loves it. :-) So go back and forth if you need. We don't mind.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

...Crazy Man Dan uses the GIMP with aplomb and loves it.

* Crazy Man Dan hugs Wilber

:wink:

I don't believe he feared a lynching for his continued GIMP usage, but it is rather inefficient to have to keep switching editors to complete a single project, so any feature parity the two can achieve is always welcome. :)

For instance, take GREYCstoration - when the plugin was released for PDN, I started using that in stead of The GIMPs Selective Gaussian Blur (what PhotoShop calls "Smart Blur"). After a while of cleaning photos with PDN, then exporting and cutting out with The GIMP, I decided it would be much easier if I could find a GREYCstoration implementation for The GIMP directly. Turned out there were already three versions made for The GIMP, I had simply never known about how awesome GREYCstoration was.

Also, when dake released the Erode / Dilate filter for PDN, that was one thing I had always missed when not using The GIMP. Turns out that dake's plugin is even better than the The GIMP's implementation, allowing control over effect size and offset shape.

Tanel released Sharpen+, which filled the Unsharp Mask void. Illnab and his Alpha Mask Importer did a serious tiding over of my need for true Alpha Masking. And we can't forget pyrochild with his Gradient Mapping plugin, another PDN tool that wound up being more powerful than the same feature in The GIMP.

On and on it goes. That's one of the great things about this community: As long as there's a need, there always seems to be some freelance programmer with time on his hands to fill that need for everyone. (Even sometimes when there's not a need... :P )

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I find a lovely poetry in using more than one program to achieve a task, when such a thing is necessary. Almost like a dance. :-)

And we can't forget pyrochild with his Gradient Mapping plugin, another PDN tool that wound up being more powerful than the same feature in The GIMP.

As long as there's a need, there always seems to be some freelance programmer with time on his hands to fill that need for everyone. (Even sometimes when there's not a need... :P )

...It took me 10 minutes to find Gradient Mapping in GIMP, and another 5 to find the gradient editor, since it uses the program's global gradient, rather than one within the effect... I feel embarassed :oops:

And... ugh... why did you have to remind me of the debacle that was Render Human? :roll:

I find a lovely poetry in using more than one program to achieve a task, when such a thing is necessary. Almost like a dance. :-)
I kind of agree... But only if the programs are different kinds of programs. Like... creating textures in PdN, meshes in Maya or 3DSMax, and a game that makes use of those in Visual Studio. But if the programs are designed with similar or the same function, I just find it redundant. I'd much rather completely do a project in PDN or completely GIMP; not switching back and forth between the two.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 3 weeks later...

Whew! Finally I got some time to update my plugins.

Changes:

1. Now they are licensed under the GNU Public License.

2. Minor compatibility changes with Paint.NET v.3.20

3. Fixed bug when limited user's preferences were not saved (only an Administrator can write in Program Files). Now the preferences are saved in a different Ini File (ToliEffects.ini located in {LocalApplicationData}\Paint.NET\). The Language Ini Files are still kept in {ProgramFiles}\Paint.NET\Effects\, since they are read-only.

4. Fixed possible future compatibility issue regarding unapropriate use of PdnResources class.

5. Engrave / Emboss is now in /Effects/Stylize submenu.

6. Setup has now an option to choose which effects to install.

7. Added MirrorRotateMenu.dll plugin.

MirrorRotateMenu is not a new plugin. It is the same MirrorRotate plugin, with a different interface: instead of the unusual looking GUI, it has 7 menus inside a Mirror / Rotate submenu.

They have no GUI whatsoever. There is simply one menu (one click) for each mirror or rotate effect.

YOU shall decide which of them is easier to use and best suits YOUR needs.

Toli Cuturicu

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Toli

I've got one bug report and one contribution for your plugins:

1) Bug report: If Paint.Net is running in localized mode, Mirror / Rotate Menu doesn't default to English, in case it misses translation strings for current language. Menu appears blank. That's the case for Portuguese, for instance. See screenshot:

mirrorrotateuv5.th.png

2) Contribution: I've translated your plugins to Portuguese. You can include this in next build if you want.

;Engrave / Emboss
[pt]
PluginName=Criar Entalhe / Relevo
HeaderLabelStyle=Estilo
ButtonEngrave=&Entalhe
ButtonEmboss=&Relevo
HeaderLabelWidth=Profundidade
LabelWidth=pixels
ButtonOK=OK
ButtonCancel=Cancelar

;Mirror / Rotate
[pt]
PluginName=Espelhar / Girar seleção
ButtonWidth=80
ButtonNone=&Nenhum\\(Cancelar)
ButtonRotate90=Girar &90°
ButtonRotate180=Girar 1&80°
ButtonRotate270=Girar 2&70°
ButtonHorizontal=Espelhar na\\&Horizontal
ButtonVertical=Espelhar na\\&Vertical
ButtonFirstDiagonal=Espelhar na\\&1ª Diagonal
ButtonSecondDiagonal=Espelhar na\\&2ª Diagonal

;Mirror / Rotate Menu
[pt]
SubmenuName=Espelhar / Girar seleção
Rotate90=Girar &90°
Rotate180=Girar 1&80°
Rotate270=Girar 2&70°
Horizontal=Espelhar na &Horizontal
Vertical=Espelhar na &Vertical
FirstDiagonal=Espelhar na &1ª Diagonal
SecondDiagonal=Espelhar na &2ª Diagonal

;Smooth
[pt]
PluginName=Suavizar

Cheers

Thank you (Obrigado) for your contribution, which will be soon included

and for the bug report, which will be soon fixed, because it really is an easy fix.

I submitted ToliEffects version 2.02.

Why?

- One localization bug fixed

- Portuguese translation added

(thanks to "gege")

Note: Translations of my plugins into other languages will also be appreciated. Just take a look at "gege's" work and do the same and I'll promptly include it too. (I already provided English, French and German)