Forum has been UPGRADED to phpBB 3 -- post "bugs" here

Rick Brewster

We are still cleaning things up and migrating stuff. About 1 hour worth of posts were lost. Please be patient with us!

http://paintdotnet.forumer.com is the new forum address. The old address, http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com (note the '12') will be 301'd ("Moved Permanently") to the new address, and so old links should still work correctly.

Please feel free to use this post "bugs". That is, all the things which are not "the same" or that feel "downgraded" because of the move ... for example, somebody said something about Quick Reply. I've never used that so I won't notice it unless you tell me about it. Also, for example, the smilies have not made it over yet.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

-Rules allow for 120x160, but system resizes down to 160x120. In 1 case that I've seen, it's actually scaled the avatar UP to 160x120. (username: aile)

This one's been fixed. If anyone is still having avatar issues, try re-uploading it.

Quick Reply:

-In the old forum, rather than having to click Reply in a thread, there was a Quick reply box in the bottom left corner that you could directly enter your post into.

Editing posts:

-Can't do it after 10 minutes. Some types of threads, such as plugins and tutorials, may be updated frequently and users don't want to dig through 5+ pages of posts to find the newest version. This one's been fixed. Thanks Rick!

Paint.NET logo:

-Being a GIF image, it does not have progressive transparency and therefore has white jaggies all around the edges, which was not a big deal on the old forum, but on this new one, it sticks out like a sore thumb. A bad logo? On a graphics design website? Hmmm... something's wrong with that picture.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

The skins... I like how its more advanced now, but I just don't like this skin. Could you possibly bring back the F1 Apple Blue? I would appreciate it so much.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

1)

• EDITED: Some characters such as ' and - appear throughout the forum as funky characters and could cause confusion. Example is the Making a Wave tutorial. Occurs with both themes.

2)

• Paint.NET logo at the very top has been replaced by a phpbb logo on the new (fabulous, I might add) SubSilver2 theme. (Thanks pyrochild, just editing it in when you mentioned it :P)

3)

• Favicon in the address bar.

4)

• Links do not open in new tabs which was extremely helpful before but is now frustrating because of the developed habit of closing tabs rather than hitting Back.

Aesthetics are very important as are the smallest of details, I do not wish to point out little anomalies just for the sake of posting something.

2)

Paint.NET logo at the very top has been replaced by a phpbb logo.

Only in the subsilver2 theme.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

What I dislike is that "Paint.Net.Discussion" brings unnecessary steps inside the forum. I don't think it has sense. Also, some people may not see categories when they don't recognize the "Board Index". And I want the old look back, too.

20 KB avatar limit, was never hindered on the old forum by KB limit and especially now with the higher pixel limit (thank you for rectifying the dimensions, by the way).

As an example, mine is 3 KB too large, that's after using PNGout and it's smaller than the maximum pixel limit.

Hi,

I fixed the logo & uploaded all the emoticons from the old board. :RedEyeRemoval: :ReliefEffect: :ZoomActualSize: :Save: :PencilTool::LinearReflectedGradient: :Close:

The logo needs to be re-made for the prosilver skin (jagged edges problem), then it can be applied to that skin.

Quick Reply:

-In the old forum, rather than having to click Reply in a thread, there was a Quick reply box in the bottom left corner that you could directly enter your post into.

As far as I know, there are no quick reply mods for PhPBB3 forums, as bb3 just now either got out of release candidate mode or is still in. So that's not something Rick can fix, until one is made. We're having the same problem over at a forum I frequent very frequently.

MatoyakSignatureSlashedTL.png

The Forumer admins are setting up a redirect from the old forum (paintdotnet.12.forumer.com) to the new one (paintdotnet.forumer.com). The redirects should be working within a few days.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Something else I miss is the quick login at the bottom of the main forum. Is this something that can be added? (Should I wait for the final version of phpBB3?)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Something else I miss is the quick login at the bottom of the main forum.

I see this at the bottom. Is that what you're looking for?

(Horrid prepositional end to that sentence, but...)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I see this at the bottom. Is that what you're looking for?

(Horrid prepositional end to that sentence, but...)

Right, that's exactly it. I think i had the default skin cached before I logged in...

Carry on.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I have a question:

How do you upgrade from phpbb 2.x to 3.0? I can't find a link in any of the other forums I'm an admin for.

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/upgradeguide/upgrade.php

The upgrade instructions that come with the download (from that site) are also helpful. It is fairly painless if you follow the instructions carefully and don't have mods--which will have to be reinstalled when/if they are developed for phpBB3.

Keep in mind there are two phases--installing phpBB3 with a new db, etc., and THEN importing your data from version 2. Good Luck, and check for other support at the site above.

Paint.NET logo:

-Being a GIF image, it does not have progressive transparency and therefore has white jaggies all around the edges, which was not a big deal on the old forum, but on this new one, it sticks out like a sore thumb. A bad logo? On a graphics design website? Hmmm... something's wrong with that picture.

The logo, especially on the PROsilver skin looks, frankly, dreadful with the "white jaggies" surrounding it. Could the logo be changed to a .png to alleviate this problem?

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

I noticed in the old forum, as you changed the width of the window the boards on the main page did not change width. However, on this forum they do.

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png