How to Install Plugins ×

Gaussian Blur+ (previously Channel Blur Plugin)

BoltBait

Gaussian Blur+ Plugin

Forgot to post this one...

Tanel asked for a Gaussian Blur function where the user could specify a different amount of blur for each channel (Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha). Here is my take on the problem.

The Idea

My thought was to modify the Gaussian Blur code to blur only the selected channel. I started with the Code that Illnab1024 sent me and just started making changes. I used CodeLab so that I wouldn't have to worry too much about a UI. The rest came easy. I'm familiar enough with the Gaussian Blur code at this point that these changes only took me about 15 minutes.

Please note that this effect shows up under the Effects > Blurs sub menu.

The Effect DLL

If you like it, you can download the precompiled effect here: BoltBait's Plugin Pack

Instructions for Use

To use this plugin, simply select the channel you want to blur, then the amount of blur:

GaussianBlurPlusUI.png

Then, click OK to finalize your image.

Samples

GaussianBlurPlusDemo.jpg

Final Thoughts

Tanel was happy with the plugin. In fact, he's written at least one tutorial using it (along with my Transparency Adjustment plugin).

I hope you enjoy it too.

You should replace the slider with check boxes.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

• 4 weeks later...
Could you make induvidual sliders for red, green, blue and alpha

I think that it would make the whole thing a lot slicker than what it is at the moment, but I know nothing about coding so this could be totally impossible as far as I know....

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

Paint.net has a lot of blur filters and or effects, I was wondering if someone could create a blur tool.

Nope. Plugins can't do tools. Take a look at the PdN roadmap...it's coming eventually.

Let us see the code...

(no way = impossible; impossible is not french!)

I thought "impossible" was french...another way of saying "Ca n'est pas possible!"

Then again, I'd be a millionaire if I had a dollar for every time "I thought" was met with a "you're wrong..."

EDIT: Why am I arguing this with someone from Lille?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

How the bloody potato do you get by without using red-eye remover? ;-)

On-topic: Is there some sort of workaround that we could use to blur by channel?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

It's better than Franglais. :-)

• 4 months later...

BoltBait,

it seems that there is a bug:

if original pixel is semi-transparent (with alpha whatever between 0 - 255) then Alpha Blur reduces original alpha before blurring. For example: evenly semi-transparent area with alpha 127 becomes to alpha 62 (the lower the radius, the lower it goes).

Can you fix it so that original alpha would remain untouched?

P.S. Can you also increase max radius to 200?

Thanks,

Tanel

Feature Request:

Expand supported channels to include Hue, Saturation and Value? The only one I need is Value, but the others wouldn't hurt.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

but don't hold your breath waiting for an update.
You should have told me sooner...I've already fainted twice! :D

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Feature Request:

Expand supported channels to include Hue, Saturation and Value? The only one I need is Value, but the others wouldn't hurt.

Probably not.

I'll look, but don't hold your breath waiting for an update.

The pyrochild.effects.common.dll (included with Gradient mapping) has a Color class that provides quick and automatic access to Luminosity, RGB, HSV, CMYK, and Alpha values, if you want to use that...

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!