Changing a file size, but not picture size?

i want to create my own bebo skin.

i've created the following picture as the main background, but the file size is way too large, it's currently 291kb, but the max a file can be is 40Kb. it's exactly the right number of pixels, so i'm at a loss as to how i can change the file size .. or can i? is there just too much going on in the picture?

mainbackground.jpg

sexpanther.png

What type of file is it, .png, .jpg, .gif, other?

If it's a .png then there are tools around in the interweb that can 'crush' the file size of any .png.

I use PNGGauntlet as this is the easiest to use and also one of the programs that reduces file sizes the most, however, they're more like PNGcrush and PNGout. Try Googling it.

When you save it as a .JPG image, in PDN in gives you the option to select how much you want to change the quality. It usually defaults to 100%, but if you change it to 50% you might still keep a decent image but it will decrease the file size.

Also, try a saving it as a few different file types - GIF files are typically the smallest I think. PNG files are typically much larger.

When you save it as a .JPG image, in PDN in gives you the option to select how much you want to change the quality. It usually defaults to 100%, but if you change it to 50% you might still keep a decent image but it will decrease the file size.

Here's a visual of what spongey437 was referring to:

BeboSkin.png

Just move the slider until the filesize is as small as you need it. I've tried it at 50%, producing a filesize of 39.0 KB; with no real detectable loss of quality.

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png