Batch Process Resize

Marje

I would love it if there were a simple batch process for resizing ... primarily for resizing width. This would be good for quickly creating thumbnails from larger images.

Marje

• 5 months later...

I have to agree here.

I use photofibre as my primary image editing app because it has batch features.

I'm always doing stuff with a bunch of image for webpages etc and this is a needed feature in ANY image editing app.

that's nice, but what's wrong with editing and resizing images all with the same app?

I'm not installing a million diffrent software just to do certain things, windows is a piece of bloody potato as it is without bogging it down with more apps.

besides, this is a standard feature in most image editing apps I see no reason why Paint.NET shouldn't have it. It's a great feature to implement.

Resizing quality is bloody potato in that tool compared to super high quality supersampling used in Paint.NET (or Bicubic resample in some rare cases).

rejzor.png

I'm personally more interested in having general batch/scripting functionality, after which batch resizing would be trivial. It's kind of the whole "give a man a fish" vs. "teach a man to fish" debate applied to software design.

And here's another issue. If I were to implement batch resizing that allowed you to set parameters in one way ("resize all these images to fit a 128x128 bounding box, then save to JPEG at quality level 90") then someone else would immediately need another way of doing it ("i want to resize them all to 20% and save to JPEG at a file size less than 15 KB"). Then someone else would really want to be able to automate it with a batch file ... yet another person would want control over how the files are named ... and I really don't have the ability to deal with 50 more e-mails a week asking for this kind of stuff. And once you have a great UI in place to do method 1, it becomes that much more difficult to morph it to handle both method 1 and 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

This is not an argument against batch resizing, just an explanation of why I'm not just jumping up and hacking it in right now.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

a batch filetype modifier is also a nice tool. having 52 gif's that you need as bitmaps b/c thats what'll go default when coding in C/C++ & Win32 api is rather annoying. sure, you could use GDI or GDI+...but its easier to just use a batch filetype modifier :]

and if someone wants the filesize to be less than whatever, they can download the source and add that restriction. conversion b/w the main filetypes that Paint.NET supports would be rather nice in itself.

..just thought i'd add my 2 cents :]

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:

Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

Rick, take your time, make batch process something for some major release and then make it complete intead of half finished. This way there won't be any whining that you haven't implimented this and that.

For last few months i'm using only Paint.NET for all the imaging jobs and i must say i haven't missed a single thing (ok few things here and ther ebut there was always a workaround). Image resizing is also queit fast by using right click extension, though batch resize would be even faster hehe :)

rejzor.png

a simple batch resize where you can set the pics to fit in a FOR EXAMPLE:

35x65 window and an option to contraint proportions or uncheck the box to just resize it to 35x65 would be sufficient I think.

most people I know in the graphic field use it for web images, or displaying box art type stuff and want all the images to be a single size.

so I think that would be the most important way to do it.

but as in anything else, you're the author and it's your app. Just making a nice suggestion.

I personally love the app already, just looking for a feature I commonly use, that's all...

hmm.

Rick: Bink's RADVideo Tools have somewhat of a functionality like this. They happen to be all command line :)

pdn?.bmp*001-149

is an example of a batch command they include. also a good idea: store the list in the temp while making the list by a simple ctrl-click, multiple file browser.

I also agree with rejzor though: don't rush it.

~~

• 6 years later...

Bump.

still want batch process resize. I did Select All and then did Resize, but only got resize on the current picture. Actually, I don't think SelectAll did anything.

Hi Hershey4, welcome to the forum.

We have a Rule around here that old threads are considered dead (and buried) after three months. Reviving such threads is not the done thing.

Instead of reviving a topic dead since 2006, start a new topic in the Paint.NET discussion & questions section.

Thanks.

<closed>

Bump.

still want batch process resize.

Search google for "batch image resizer" and I'm sure you'll find 50 little $5 utilities that can do it. And if you're not willing to pay $5 or $10 or whatever it is, then I recommend reevaluating what you think your time is worth to you.

Plus, what EER said.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg