How to crop and resize without distorting the image??

Andrei Guk

Actually, the full question is as follows:

I've got a photo - let's say of 800X600.

I want this photo to be 200X135, but I tried so hard and couldn't do that without distorting the image. Can you please help? Which tools should I use?

Thanks

99% of people in Russia use 'pirate' programmes. You can get anything you like. But is it a big deal if you can use open source products that are as good?

Do you want shrink the image down to 200x135, or do you want to select a section and crop it to 200x135?

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

This is what I would do:

Open the image

Create a new image (200X135px)

Copy and paste the image onto the second image

Resize to your liking and deselect

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I think he is talking about the resize by using nubs.

Here is a pic.

DistortHelp1.jpg

Notice that in the top of the pic, I used "Smooth" to enlarge Megaman, and he looks smoother. On the bottom, I used "Pixelated."

If you are shrinking with the nubs, this may be the problem. It is set to Smooth by default.

Please forgive me if this doesn't help. :? :)

ESSig7UltraPng.png

Andrei,

If your original image is 800x600 and you try to resize to 200x135 the image is going to look distorted as you are messing with the aspect ratio of the picture.

If you want your picture 200 wide it's going to have to be 150 tall to keep the width to height ratios the same.

To get it 135 high you are going to have to crop 15 pixels from either the top, bottom or a combination of both.

I would suggest the following:

I started with this 400x300 picture of a car.

Car400x300.png

1. Take your original picture and use resize it

IMAGE > RESIZE

01_Resize.png

Ensure 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' is ticked and enter 200 as the width. The height will automatically change to 150.

02_Aspect.png

Create a new image by pressing CTRL+N

You will get a dialog where you can enter the pixel dimensions you require. Make the width 200 and the height 135.

03_New.png

You are now working with two images, the one on the left is the original and the one on the right, highlighted blue, is your new 200x135 blank canvas.

04_TwoImages.png

Click back on your image of the car in the top right corner to go back to the original image.

Press CTRL+A to select the whole picture. Then, click back to your blank canvas and press CTRL+V to paste.

You will see the following paste dialog. You should select 'Keep Canvas Size'

05_CanvasSize.png

You will now see the original image inside the bounds of your chosen canvas size, with dashed lines showing where it exceeds.

06_Move.png

Now, simply use your up & down arrow keys to position the selection where you want it, so you get the best fit.

Press CTRL+D to deselect. You can now save your picture.

07_Fin.png

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

2 barkbark00

Yes, you are right. I don't want to just resize the whole image. I just want to crop the section I like and make it 200X135, but when I tried it ended up being distorted - wider or flattener. I tried to do as usedHONDA advised, but I couldn't get the final image all right. When I pasted the copied image to the new image that I created (200X135), only a part of the image appeared in the end.

Sorry Extra. This is not about that. But probably I will take into account your advice one day =)

99% of people in Russia use 'pirate' programmes. You can get anything you like. But is it a big deal if you can use open source products that are as good?

Make a rectangle selection around the area you want to keep. You may need to use the :MoveSelectionTool: Move Selection tool to make the selection exactly 200X135 and move it to your desired location. Then hit Ctrl+Shift+X...done

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

THANKS A LOT cjmcguinness. I did it. YES

THANKS A LOT cjmcguinness. I did it. YES

You're welcome. Glad I could be of assistance.

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

• 6 years later...

This is a super old thread, but one more thing to contribute. If you have a picture selected using the "rectangle select" or whatever you chose, you can keep the aspect ratio the same when dragging the corners by holding the shift key as you drag the item smaller or larger. 

Hold shift key while dragging corners to resize item to keep aspect ratio the same.

This is a super old thread

Six years old, in fact. As much as we appreciate your trying to help, the person that needed the help hasn't revisited the forum since the issue was resolved six years ago, and will be unable to appreciate your contribution. Let the dead rest in peace :)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/2932-read-first-the-rules-yes-you-read-this-2010-12-31/

11) Don't reply to very old threads. Also known as "reviving" or "resusitating" old/dead threads. Also called "necroposting" (eww). If there has been no discussion in a thread for, say, 3 months ... then it is dead. Do not reply to it -- pretend like it is locked. If you reply to it, then the thread will be immediately locked and your post may be deleted. Please just create a new thread if you have something to say about that subject.

<topic closed>

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo