How to Install Plugins ×

HD Photo plugin - BETA

Rick Brewster

Assuming that any HD Photo application you want to use is going through WIC and not WPC, then yes. This Paint.NET plugin uses WPF, and as such .NET 3.0 is definitely required.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes, I thought the same... Well, it's not important for me as I'm running the current beta of .Net 3.5 (btw, I think it's faster than the stable 3.0), but you wrote in your blog you would not "merge" the plugin and Paint.Net for 3.20 and you wrote about the filesize of the framework. But now it seems you have only to download WIC, which isn't that much.

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried installing this plug-in on 3 different computers (2 WinXP Pro with .Net 3.0 Framework SP 1 installed, 1 x Vista) but cannot save in HD. I've managed to install the OptiPNG and JPEG2000 plug-ins and they both work and appear in the save/load dialogs properly.

Thanks

Fred

Well, the new Firefox is still only in BETA, I'm sure, if this comes out soon, FireFox should support it.

Plus, with all these 'Windows updates', I'm sure IE7 will support it too.]

PS - First post!

:D

Wow, you guys sure do have a lot of smilies...

Can't wait for HD Photo to become the new Jpg standard. JPGX I think they said they were going to call it. Of course it will probably be years until all browsers/computers support it.

No, it's called JPEG XR

Well, the new Firefox is still only in BETA, I'm sure, if this comes out soon, FireFox should support it.

No, Firefox 3 will not support this.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

If that's what you were talking about, why not?

Because it's a Microsoft proprietary format.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

If that's what you were talking about, why not?

Because it's a Microsoft proprietary format.

No it won't be. HD Photo is an MS format. JPEG XR will be open format same as JPG is and free to use.

A) It's under consideration as a JPEG format. Not quite there yet...

B) Though Microsoft has stated that it will be licensed under their Open Specification Promise, that has also not yet happened.

So, for now, it's still completely unsuitable for inclusion in Firefox.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• 3 weeks later...

No it won't be. HD Photo is an MS format. JPEG XR will be open format same as JPG is and free to use.

B) Though Microsoft has stated that it will be licensed under their Open Specification Promise, that has also not yet happened.

I recently read an article that stated it was free to use in PS CS2 and CS3 (JXR) and microsoft offers it as a download. Someone gave me the link : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta%20...%20layLang=en.

Thanks first for the plugin. But I dont understand, once 3.20 checks for a new version and comes to know 4.0 is released, the plugin will stop working? Why don't you release a final version of the plugin. This seems like the IE6 VPC images constantly refreshed after a few months. :)

Could you be a tad more specific? What files - downloaded files (i.e. the .dll/.zip), previously saved HD files, system files?

In the meantime, you could, if you remember the file name, search for them, as in Ctrl + F while in Windows Explorer. Or search for the files using the file extension as the search parameter (like *.dll, or *.zip) within a certain time frame (last two days, etc.).

• 1 month later...

I recently read an article that stated it was free to use in PS CS2 and CS3 (JXR) and microsoft offers it as a download. Someone gave me the link : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta%20...%20layLang=en.

huuu :? It is official: JPEG consortium approves the Microsoft photo format. Moreover, the “HD Photo” doesn't exist any more: JPEG XR is the new one and only true name for this format.

• 2 months later...

I made some tests, In a 800x600 white image I have this results.

hd1.jpg

hd2.jpg

hd3.jpg very small :wink:

shinigami.jpg

Thanks to translate Paint.Net to Portuguese Brazil.

• 3 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with Microsoft algorithms. JPEG XR is very promising and will really shine when digital cameras start supporting it.

Btw, Rhyelys, thats probably result of algorithm used by JPEG XR. Considering you're using quality level 1 (lowest).

JPEG shows similar blocky bloody potato at such quality (which no one uses anyway because it's useless).

rejzor.png

• 2 months later...

Does HD Photo and will this plugin support 8 bit images? Now that the built-in PNG and BMP encoders do, I suggest updating the plugin.

• 2 months later...

The plugin does not add the "Creation Software" Tag to the saved file. If this is gonna to be integrated you might "fix" it.