Drawing a Gemstone

Ash

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This was my 1st try at drawing a gemstone. And 1st try at making a tut :P

Comments & Ideas welcome :)

This is the way I got all the facets on the stone, there are many other ways to do it, so just try it and see if you like it. I used Xor to blend the 2 layers. then Flatten the image.

Then select the shape of the stone, adjust as needed, for this tut, I use oval. you do not need to de-select the selection from this point on.

On a new layer, Use gradient or whatever way to make Facets looks like they have range of shades. blend the layers as you see fit. Then flatten the image.

I used Curves tool to give the stone color, And a little zoom blur to mix things up a bit.

VVVV Gem Tut V2 readers can start from this step VVVV

Add new layer, Paint bucket White color.

Use Gradient Tools in Transparency mode to fade the white color. This will give the look of the reflective surface of the "table" of the stone.

Use Move selected pixels, hold shift key as you resize it. this will let you have the same shaped oval as the outer edge, this will be the "table" of the stone.

Add new layer. Do the same thing as above step but with black color on the other side. Flatten Image.

Don't foget to use Feather on each layers to soften them before Flatten :P

Add background, shadow as needed.

And check this out for a little extra..

viewtopic.php?p=29087#p29087

Done :)

Hope this helps!!

Edited by Woodsy
Rehosted to Postimage.
  • Upvote 1
The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

not a problem as I'd probably have asked at that point again.

worked my way down to the point where Ash uses curved tool sort of stuck there but I'll niggle away at this until I get it correct.

I'm using in an photo story 3 application. pics of the granddaughters pretty princes birthday party. intend to make png images. and insert into the photos

think the gemstones will look pretty neat poping up all over the place.

especially since all the little darlings were waving fairy wands around in the pictures i've got in mind.

what a grandmother won't do to impress the little ones.

guess i could always have just copied and pasted pictures of gems but needed and wanted to practise with paint net. (I really wanted an excuse to play)

OMA

That hot dude. The edges are very defined though, maybe theres a way to make them more round.

Yeah I know :P

That's why there is this line near the end of the tut :)

"Don't foget to use Feather on each layers to soften them before Flatten"

Ash on the gradiants which did you use.?

old eyes can't quite see which from the screen shot.

OMA

Sorry was away for the weekend, Thx all who helped :)

worked my way down to the point where Ash uses curved tool sort of stuck there but I'll niggle away at this until I get it correct.

OMA

Curves.jpg

Thats how i got the blue, select RGB at top left, put a check mark on whichever color you want to adjust, play around with this you might find something you will like better. :)

Hope this helps!

Yeah, I wouldn't know that though because there's some sort of virus on my computer that doesn't allow me to download or save anything to my local disk files. So basically, I have no plug-ins.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ + good habbit = no virus :)

Hope this helps!

well actually I found this quite a useful tutorial. and since it was me that asked for someone to walk me thru the steps I'd say Ash did a fine job on his first tutorial.

just enought of a challenge for us beginners, i know it may not appeal to some on this forum but I had an application for the gemstones

so

thank you Ash. my grandaughter is thrilled with the little video disc I put together for her and her friends.

OMA

Thank you all for the support :)

@MadJik, I like the one on the right better.

@adamd, Gemstones are one of the hardest thing to draw, because of all the facets, reflection, refraction and colors.

I am sure someone can do better then me, If you can, you are wellcome to try, and share your know how with us.

Write a better tut, I'll be happy to learn more skill.

At least I learn how to make the shiny reflection from making this tut.

Using the same way as my tut plus a little more (2hrs) messing around with adjustments... it could be even better :P (yeah, its a little too blury)

268bf11f.jpg

well actually I found this quite a useful tutorial. and since it was me that asked for someone to walk me thru the steps I'd say Ash did a fine job on his first tutorial.

just enought of a challenge for us beginners, i know it may not appeal to some on this forum but I had an application for the gemstones

so

thank you Ash. my grandaughter is thrilled with the little video disc I put together for her and her friends.

OMA

You're welcome and glad it works out for ya :)

Post what you draw if you can for all to see :)

Using the same way as my tut plus a little more (2hrs) messing around with adjustments... it could be even better :P (yeah, its a little too blury)

268bf11f.jpg

Generally, with a still image your reflection or "Sparkle" will be at the same rotation.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Generally, with a still image your reflection or "Sparkle" will be at the same rotation.

Ok, got it :)

But what if there are more then 1 light sorce?

or.. 1 light sorce but angle like this from side view? (red dots are where the sparks should be from side view of a gem)

49a692f3.jpg

Thanks for your time.

• 10 months later...

268bf11f.jpg

Ash that looks real! Seriously, it looks like you took it off the tv from the home shoping network and played with it in PDN to make it you rown.

It's wild.

I tried and tried the other day before i had to go to school. Couldn't get it so i'm giving it another wing tonight.

I for some crazy reason i've resently become graphically challenged. Heck in my siggy, Wither was a sweetheart and helped me out. So I'll let ya know!

celticicesiggy2.jpg

thank you Wither for the very long amount of help!

I for some reason was graphically Challenged!

And Pyro for the tut!

I am glad you like this tut. Sorry I will be busy until Feb-19. Please check out gem v2 tut for better texture. then finishthe rest with this gem v1 tut.

I will be more than happy to answer in more detail when more free time.

Tut list on my googlepage.

Good luck!

purplegem.jpg

okay so here is mine, i didn't do the feather thing, i kinda like the sharpness of it!

first try took me two days.

Ash my eyes now hurt from reading all that small print! lol

celticicesiggy2.jpg

thank you Wither for the very long amount of help!

I for some reason was graphically Challenged!

And Pyro for the tut!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...