Paint.net 4.0.6 and Windows 10

I was using Paint.net 4.0.5 with no problems in Windows 10... none at all.

I noticed the update to Paint.net 4.0.6 today and updated it... now there is a problem.

It's trying to inform me about Visual C++ run times and will attempt a repair in a command prompt window and restart the computer.

It doesn't seem to work and this continues whenever I open Paint.net.

I've already tried uninstalling and re-installing.

I've also searched for C++ run times and installed something called Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable.

Is there anything else I could try or you guys could look into?

I can't afford Photoshop and I don't know much about Gimp... so Paint.net was a program I was comfortable with.

I appreciate the Windows 10 support, but... I didn't see anything wrong in 4.0.5.

I have just updated to Windows 10 Pro Today and also paint.net 4.0.6 and I have not experienced the prompt regarding Visual C++ Did you download 4.0.6 from the official site ? Also did Windows 10 install correctly ?

Yes and yes, I've been on the RTM build 10240 from the "Insider program".

Paint.net download was indeed linked off of this official site.

For now I have installed Gimp just so I'm not inconvenienced being without an image program... I'm sure not even Paint.net's creators want their users going without a necessary program.

Hmm, that's not good at all !

Have you tried re-running the paint.net installer? That will force it to uninstall and then install (in other words, "reinstall" isn't a special 3rd case for the installer). And it will include the VC++ runtimes as part of installation.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Hmm, that's not good at all !

Have you tried re-running the paint.net installer? That will force it to uninstall and then install (in other words, "reinstall" isn't a special 3rd case for the installer). And it will include the VC++ runtimes as part of installation.

Yes, if that includes going right to the uninstall and then downloading and installing again.

My only guess is perhaps something isn't working right during the setup when it's checking for the other necessary files.

Perhaps other Windows 10 users already had them and that's why they don't get this problem... yet for whatever reason maybe I need them but the installer isn't doing it right.

As I said, I searched for and downloaded and installed something C++ related off the Microsoft site already.

Should also mention it broke my SoundMAX software (for my sound card) and I also had to repair that.

Other programs on my computer seem okay though.

If 4.0.5 is still being offered some where maybe I could try it again but would prefer it to not offer me 4.0.6 until you guys have some idea for a fix.

Edited by Trunten