I want to float in space (at least in pix)

...Is this possible with paint.net?...

Yes, of course.

1. Take a picture of yourself on solid green or blue background.

2. Download and apply one of two plugins:

- ChromaKeyPlugin (only for green background);

- SimpleChromaKey.

3. Apply one of the selected effects - it will remove the background color, leaving the background transparent.

Next

4. Open your 'space' photo.

5. Add to the image a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+N).

6. Paste in this new layer your photo with the cut out color (see # 3).

Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

My favorite way to extract an image is to add a blank layer above your image. Working on that layer, select the pencil tool and a color that's different from your image(I used red in my example), then trace your picture. use the Bucket to fill the outside region. Use the Magic Wand tool to select the outside region, then switch to your image layer and hit the delete key. Delete the top layer and feather the image as needed.

That is how I made this quick example:  

CohnJJZ.gif

• Upvote 2

Plane_Sig2.gif

To have yourself inserted into another picture (such as a space pic), you will want to remove the background of your self-photo.

Depending on the quality you want, there are lots of ways to remove backgrounds. Often the quick and easy ways will result in lesser quality.

Here are some tutorials for removing backgrounds and/or cutting out objects.

-- This is the most recommended way.
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

-- Here is the sometimes quick way.
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12196-making-backgrounds-of-images-transparent/

-- Here are brief samples of various ways to cut out images/remove backgrounds. I suggest exploring and seeing which way works best for your project.
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/28305-mini-tuts/?p=409110

And, here are some tips.
-- Always use layers. For example, after you have cut yourself out of a photo, be sure your self and the new space background are each on their own layer. Like-wise, if you use any text, be sure the text is on it's own layer.

-- If you want yourself to match the new space background, it is a good idea to have yourself match the lighting of your new background. You can do this by playing with paint.net's adjustments, or adding a new layer and using gradients and blending modes. (layers? adjustments? blending modes? You can learn paint.net basics here: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MainWindow.html)

If you need more help feel free to ask. :)

Awesome--Great stuff there!!!! :lightning:  :lightning:  :lightning:  :lightning:  :D  :D  :D  :D  Looks like you guys had some real fun with the idea. It's always cool to help someone out and get something out of it yourself versus no good deed goes unpunished! 

OK--I'm gonna sound all kinds of nube here--amateur night question. But how do I drop one layer onto another? Whenever I add a new layer it just covers the first.  :(

I used the quick and easy way but the litle monkey did not help either. I could not find a shaved one. :D

Drogo, If you have finished working on individual layers you can MERGE the layers. Look at the bottom of the LAYERS window, there is an icon with a little blue arrow pointing down (Merge Layer Down). Select the upper layer before you press the Merge Layer Down button.

Perhaps this video can help you. I personally don't do the methods used in the video too much, but it is a good video till you can get used to paint.net and can learn better ways of doing things through experience. A warning though, the video is old, so the paint.net version that is seen in the video is very old. Some of the user interface won't be the same compared to the more recent versions of paint.net and some things in the more recent versions of paint.net function differently (such as the eraser tool, which to our benefit now has a hardness/softness ability).

The Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzQF61NPvNA

Despite the video being a nice video, here are some other things to still consider...

-- The video shows how to remove backgrounds using the magic wand tool, however I suggest that you learn to cut out objects/remove backgrounds using a verity of methods, as that will help you learn more and give you an advantage for tackling future projects where you want to remove backgrounds.

-- The person in the video imported pictures from a file all onto one canvas, each image on their own layer. But an alternative is you could open up the images each on their own canvas, and then compile them together onto one canvas by copying and pasting them onto their own layers of the single canvas. (not sure if I made sense, but this way of doing things is good if you want to remove the background of the object on it's own canvas, and then copy/paste the cut-out object over onto it's own layer above the new background you want it to have.)

-- When doing things with paint.net, it is important that you save your image in the pdn format to retain layers. When you are finished with your project you can then flatten and re-save in any format you want. (you can learn more here.)

Thanx for all the info on isolating myself from a background as it is very useful.  :music:

But I must be doing something very wrong. >:O  

I got at least one pic to just me with no background.  B)

But I can't get it to merge onto another layer.  :(

It's always just choosing between one layer and the other. I see the icon to merge them but it isn't lit up such that I can engage it by clicking on it!

If you could give me a step by step how to do that i could finally do this. #missionaccomplished! 

Either way i appreciate your support. Peace

Before you merge your layers, please keep in mind that once the layers are "merged" they will become fused together and your self-character will no longer be able to be edited without effecting the background. So I suggest you have your self-character the way you like it, such as position, size, color, and any other extra effects, etc, and then save pdn, and then finally you can merge your layers together and if you are happy re-save as png or jpeg.

Once layers have been merged or flattened, you cannot get your layers back if the action is no longer in your history or if you exit the program. I am putting emphasis on this because lots of people ask "how do I get my layers back?" and the sad answer is you can't.

How to merge? The merging button will be grayed-out if you are on the bottom layer, as it has no layer below it to marge with. If you want the "merge layer down" button to be clickable be sure you are on any layer that is above your bottom layer. If the merging button is grayed-out for another reason, then I'm sorry but I can't think of what that other reason might be at the time of writing this. You could also skip "merging layers" and instead "flatten" your image. Just go up to Menu Bar > Image > Flatten.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles