dll's are not working

pat71896

I have had (and donated multiple times) Paint.Net for years. I love the cooperation and work done by those so much smarter than I.

I am having strange computer issues.  My Windows 7 HP 64 bit laptop was repaired at a Tech2U shop 3 weeks ago.  Paint has worked for all that time but the dll's have stopped showing in the working area the last few days.  They are present in the Effects file, but do not show up on the Effects Menu.

I have downloaded the program twice and the dlls once.  Nothing changes.  The only other download that occurred around that time was Glary Utilities.  I have also used that program for many years too.

Any ideas?  A Million thanks to any kind soul with concern and/or answers.

Pat :(

Hi Pat. Welcome to the forum :D

Please post a screenshot showing the contents of your paint.net/Effects/ folder.

I'd also like to check where you got the DLLs from?

I downloaded Paint again and downloaded each of my dlls again.  They are working now.

My problem is - I have is issues with my pc. Almost every day I have to do something to my pc to keep it working. (That in itself is a long story.) I placed my dlls on OneDrive and attempted to use them. these were working dlls.  But stopped working when I loaded them into the Effects folder.

I am totally frustrated.  I have had my machine at HP 3 times and Tech2U once but no one can find the problem with my pc. Reloading the dlls - which are the reason I use PDN and are wonderful - takes me hours.  

I know you are not techs for pcs, but this issue, IMHO, is likely to occur again.  I wonder if there is a place/way to have a backup to my dlls.

Thank you for responding and listening.  May you be blessed in ways you have not yet imagined.  

Pat

Easiest way to backup your downloaded plugins is to copy your entire /Effects/ and /Filetypes/ folders to a USB drive. 

If you ever need to restore them, just reverse the operation and copy them back again.

I am seriously seeing that the 'cloud' drives are not exactly what they are touted to be.  

I also am having issues with the EdgeFader.  I don't have 'transparent' yet, maybe that is the problem??

Thank you so much for your input.  

Thank you and best wishes to you and yours, Pat

And for all Dad's out there - stateside, we celebrate today as Dad's Day.  One day per year is truly not enough.

Pat

Edited by pat71896

I also am having issues with the EdgeFader.  I don't have 'transparent' yet, maybe that is the problem??

You should ask this question in the EdgeFader plugin thread http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26479-trs-edge-fader-extreme-v-535-june-15th-2014/

"I am totally frustrated.  I have had my machine at HP 3 times and Tech2U once but no one can find the problem with my pc. Reloading the dlls - which are the reason I use PDN and are wonderful - takes me hours. "

It's most likely due to automatic update service that automatically downloads "patches" to fix bugs but in the process, most updates have conflict errors with existing drivers and applications. It's like when someone updates their java to a newer version then all of a sudden some web browsers aren't working properly. Hy HP also does that but I have a dell which is much cheaper and never has any issues. lol Hopefully that helps explain it at the very least! :D

note: btw to fix the DLL issue, do a search on your machine for "regsrv32.exe". As long as that's running, the DLL's should also unless you have a virus thats affecting them.

Edited by RFX

RFX5A1.jpg