Text

Mac123

The image isn't too clear, so I can't tell exactly what is done. I can suggest a similar effect.

Start with the image you want to use.

Add an new layer (name it Text). (It will currently be the topmost layer.)

Set the Primary Color to white.  (If the Primary and Secondary colors are currently black and white, just switch them.)

Using the Text tool, type in the desired text. (It will be white on a transparent background.)

Duplicate the Text layer (name the new layer Shadow). (The Shadow layer will now be the topmost layer.)

Set the Primary Color to black.

Run the Drop Shadow plugin on the Shadow layer.

Set the Blend Mode of the Shadow layer to one of the darkening Modes, such as Darken or Color Burn. (Darken in my example.)

Adjust the Shadow layer Opacity to give the best look (214 in my example).

Set the Blend Mode of the Text layer to one of the lightening modes, such as Lighten or Color Dodge. (Color Dodge in my example.)

Adjust the Text layer Opacity to give the best look (60 in my example).

You can then Flatten the image.

For the Drop Shadow, I used an X and Y offset of 2, a Widening Radius of 1, a Blur Radius of 3. The values will depend on the image size and the desired effect.

Make sure the "Keep original image" option is selected.

The order of the steps can be changed. You might want to add the drop shadow last so its effect can be more clearly seen and adjusted. You can also use the Drop Shadow's Shadow Opacity control instead of changing the Shadow layer's Opacity, though it gives a bit less flexibility.

Example:

ClearText_zpsbywn1aji.png

(You should use a title that's more specific. Perhaps something like "Transparent, Shadowed Text.")

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, but YouTube videos are a one-way proposition to me: I watch them; I don't make them. The written instructions I gave should be pretty easy to use. They probably look more complicated than they are, since I described everything in detail, step-by-step. All they amount to is creating the (white) text in a new layer, duplicating to another layer and using the Drop Shadow plugin, then setting the Blend Modes and Opacity of the new layers. Just go through the written steps, one at a time. If you get confused, post a question and I'll answer it.

Edited by MJW

• 3 months later...