how to crop an image to be rounded corner?

Hello,

I have some photos that I need to cut the corners to be rounded corner by using Paint.net,

I have installed the recent version, just in yesterday,

could you please tell me what are the steps to implement this action to have rounded corners? and how to make this rounded corner in different raduis level?

the soonest feedback will be very much appreciated,

Best regards

Hello @mixmedia and Welcome to PDN.

One way to do this is:

1.  Import your picture into PDN, which will be on its own layer.

2. Make a new Layer and, using the Shapes Tool, draw a line where you want to crop it.

ikrcNzX.png

3.  With the magic wand, select inside the rounded rectangle, go to your picture layer, use Ctrl and I on your computer (to invert the selection) and then hit delete on your computer.

Bi4591T.png

4.  Use the Feather Plugin to clean up the edges.

5.  Uncheck the back ground and rounded rectangle layers and Flatten the image and Save As and choose the format you want in the dropdown for either PNG or JPEG or whatever.

8o8k1Zj.png

EDIT:  Before you flatten ....  to get your image back to the correct size, go to the picture layer and with the magic wand, select the layer, Ctrl + I and hit delete.  This will downsize your picture without the transparent background.  Also, if you save as jpeg you will not see the stray transparent pixels around the corners, which will remain if you save as .png as it retains transparency.

How to install Plugins can be found here.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hello @ Pixey ....

first of all, many thanks for the reply,

i'm still a beginner use of Paint.Net,

could you please explain to me stp by step?

example: afer loaded the targeted image in PDN tray, where to click next? e.g: click Layers > next > next ..

so that I can follow the steps in practical way,

--- Also, in case any additional tools to be downloded and installed to implement this action, bcoz I just installed this default version without any additional tools,  and how to add if any plug-ins,

many thanks in advance for the help,

Regards

Edited by mixmedia

If you are a real novice then you had better familiarize yourself with how to use the program before trying to do this project.

Here is a tutorial to get you started with how layers work:

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Well, appreciate your feedback, currently I have some images square shape, I need to insert them into a file,

But, I need some of them to be rounded square, some others I need them to be rounded shape,

this is an urgent issue to finish some pending work, just how to crop the image corners to be rounded instead of the current square sharp angles, as how to crop the image to be a rounded insteard of a square shape ...that's simply what I need for this current task,

For sure I do appreciate the recommendation to take some tutorials and myself familiar with the it,

However, many thanks for the feedbacks, very much appreciated, 

Use the plugin. It works by rounding or radiusing the sharp corners. You can set the amount or how much is removed.

To install:

Follow the blue link above to the plugin thread.

Download the DLL from the link in the first post.

If the file is zipped, unzip it.

Move or copy the DLL file to to your paint.net/Effects folder.

Restart paint.net.

Find the plugin in the Effects > Fill sub menu.

Yes, what: toe_head2001 provided in the link is exactly what I need to do,

I downloaded the folder, unzipped it, then opened Paint.Net folder in my system, and just copied the plugin file named: RadiusFillCorners.cs, then closed paint.net, and restarted again, but did not see any new plugin..

or where I have to copy/past this tool?

There are 4 folders, [Effects], [FileTypes], [Resources], [staging], and a long list of other PaintDotNet tools,

I pasted the folder named: RadiusFillCorners among these folders and tools, should move it to inside any of the folders? or just the tool wiithout the the folder?

Any helpful feedback will be highly appreciated,

Kindest regards.

Make sure the effect is just a file with the suffix ".dll' - (not in a containing folder called radius filled corners) and it then goes inside the  "Paint.NET/Effects" folder.

Good luck! - it's easier than it sounds.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Download the Plugin and unzip it.  It should look like this:

106Oa9a.png

After that go to Program Files on 'C' and find Paint.net:

Qgvv8VA.png

Then it can be found by going to Effects - Stylize - Radius Corners.

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

Mixmedia - If the file you have ends with ".cs" then you have downloaded the wrong file - that's the 'source' file for other coders to look at.

The one you want is the first blue link just above the 'source' file you downloaded. When unzipped you should find a file called "RadiusFillCorners.dll" (possibly inside a folder) - like the one Pixey shows above.

Place that file in the Paint.NET/Effects folder and delete the one called "RadiusFillCorners.cs"

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Mixmedia - If the file you have ends with ".cs" then you have downloaded the wrong file - that's the 'source' file for other coders to look at.

The one you want is the first blue link just above the 'source' file you downloaded. When unzipped you should find a file called "RadiusFillCorners.dll" (possibly inside a folder) - like the one Pixey shows above.

Place that file in the Paint.NET/Effects folder and delete the one called "RadiusFillCorners.cs"

^^ This.