Will the Free form tool be added back?

Hi I've been using paint.net for 12 years now and when it updated to 4.0 I was so disappointed that the free form tool was gone so I uninstalled 4.0 and download 3.5.11 because I use this tool almost always I find it to be the easiest way to make organic shapes with out having to use the paint brush or fill tool and I can use it with the lasso tool to keep images clean as I make shadows and fabric effects, so I looked through the internet to see if any of the new updates included the free form tool so far I couldn't find anything that mentions that it was re-included to paint.net, I would really like to use all the new tools that have been added but I don't find them worth it if I don't have the free form tool.

So I was wondering by any chance in the future well the free form tool would be added back to paint.net?

btw thank you guys so much for the awesomeness of Paint.net (best program ever)

Edited by Damaris

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my sig.(Click it now!)

AeEEeGO.png

Hi, it's me. I like experimenting with PDN to make really cool effects. I also like to

code in HTML and Lua. I like PC games and making youtube videos to show

my friends. Nice meeting you! See you later.

It was not an actual vote. Rick canvassed some opinions and made a decision to drop it.

You have to admit that it was nice of him to ask.

Yes I did see he asked but I also noticed some others wish to have it and I thought that this may open up to suggestions to have the free form tool be retroduced to paint.net after all it wouldn't hurt to have the option to use it in the program. So is there a possibility for it to be added in future updates?

I didn't feel need for free from shape tool because brush tool does the same. Perhaps, you miss the for the ease making arbitrary closed shape with solid filled color. It can be done now by using lasso selection tool :LassoSelectTool: and then pressing Back space key. It fills the selected area with primary color.

Edited by Pratyush

Rl7un0O.png

I have to agree with Damaris, the free form tool is much, much faster for making organic shapes then the paintbrush and super duper more faster for making organic shapes then the multi step process that is the lasso. Its an accessibility issue.

Organic shape by the way are shapes without the straightness. 

Another reason for the freeform is that, its a simple tool for beginners.

@pratyush: what I like doing is having a section of my drawing highlighted then I would use the soilds free form tool to color in a few parts of the highlighted section.This, I find is the easiest/fastest way to make clean shading or texture with out having to use to many tools. I love this tool its truly helpful if one knows how to properly use it. It is a two step tool as a pose to highlight, paintbrush/pencil, fill tool or paintbrush/ lasso then earaser.

Edited by Damaris

@humility:thank you for the support, I knew there were a few of us out there that used it. I just think the tool should be available for those that would like to use it.I mean paint.net is an amazing program and it would only get better by reintroducing the free form tool.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on the forums in a long time but I opened them up just to see what happened with the free form tool, I will admit I don't use it that often but I find it useful for filling it outlines that are antialised without having to muck about with paint brush sizes. Though I like some of the new shape options, I feel like I have much less freedom now.

In particular, I would use the free form shape for it's 'complete the shape straight edge' (whatever you'd call that) when filling parts of a shape. As an example, I'm currently creating a diamond shape that I now know I could have created using a combination of triangle shapes, but I still find it easier to control dimensions and ratios with lines first.

Edited by MissDirections

• 3 weeks later...
  • toe_head2001 changed the title to Will the Free form tool be added back?