Paint.net freezing as soon as I start using it

When I open Paint.net I can click on stuff, but as soon as I paste in an image, it freezes.  What is weird is that it only freezes when I have it as the active window.  WHen I click on another window, the dotted selection line unfreezes and start its racing again.  Then I can click on something, but it freezes and doesn't acknowledge my click until I active another application window (like chrome).

Version info:

Paint.net 4.0.5 (Final 4.5.5454.39504)

Win.8.1 Pro 64-bit

Computer is new desktop with 8 gb ram, AMD 6-core processor 3.30Ghz, Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6450

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Lawrence

Edited by Godsfunambulator

I feels kind of strange sending a screenshot of a frozen screen since a screenshot is inherently frozen.  Is there a way to attach a short video?

Actually, I was planning on attaching a screenshot anyway, but I am not sure how to attach a picture on this website either.  Could you let me know how to do this?

Thanks!

There must be Gremlins on this forum as I'm certain @Rick answered you saying: No (to the screen shot) but for you to spell out the steps you take.  I'm pretty certain you replied to that too, but I don't see it.  Maybe I'm going Gaga :/ .  I also realize how silly I was to suggest the screen shot - as you point out ..... it would just be frozen.  Duh :( .

Anyway, in answer to posting in a thread, here is an example at the end of which you need to hit 'Add to Post' on the right side of your screen.

th_how%20to%20attch%20an%20attachment%20

Edit:  OK - mystery solved!  I was confusing you with another poster @thehex on another thread.  Phew - I'm only a little Gaga.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

okay, I tried to upload but it is telling me that "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file", even though it is only 205 KB, which is below the cited 256KB file size limit.  The file is a mp4.0

Now what do I do?  It is becoming a whole new problem just trying to show you the problem.

I wrote this before I realized that it wouldn't accept my upload...perhaps you will find it useful:

The most important thing to notice is how once I started something in Paint.net, I could click (as you can hear the mouse in the back ground), but it doesn't take effect until paint.net is in the background (i.e. when I click on the desktop).

Thanks!

Can you give this a try - go to the cog wheel on the extreme right of your screen and de-activate acceleraltion.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Did you download PDN from the proper site here ?  Sometimes people have had trouble like this after downloading from the wrong place.  Otherwise ......... I'm out of my depth here so someone 'techy' will have to help you.

30b8T8B.gif

I noticed the diagnostic section in the settings so am posting here for anyone that may find it useful:

Application paint.net 4.0.5 (Final 4.5.5454.39504)

Build Date Sunday, December 7, 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU) False

Animations True

DPI 96.00 (1.00x scale)

Language en-US

OS Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600.0)

.NET Runtime 4.0.30319.34014

Physical Memory 8,092 MB

CPU AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor             

Architecture x64 (64-bit)

Process Mode 64-bit

Speed ~3576 MHz

Cores / Threads 6

Features DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE

Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6450

Dedicated Video RAM 1,011 MB

Dedicated System RAM 0 MB

Shared System RAM 3,840 MB

Vendor ID 0x1002

Device ID 0x6779

Subsystem ID 0x21251462

Revision 0

LUID 0x00007FF2

Flags None

Outputs 2

Video Card Microsoft Basic Render Driver

Dedicated Video RAM 0 MB

Dedicated System RAM 0 MB

Shared System RAM 256 MB

Vendor ID 0x1414

Device ID 0x008C

Subsystem ID 0x00000000

Revision 0

LUID 0x00009670

Flags Software

Outputs 0

Although I still don't understand why Paint.net is behaving this way on my computer, I just figured out how to get it to work!  Animations!

I unselected all the check marks on the user interface screen in the settings, and then it now worked.  I then rechecked them one by one and tested and as soon as I checked ANIMATIONS the program immediately freezes, even on the settings page!  I don't know what this will affect, but at least I can use the program.  

Any ideas on why it would do this?

What am I missing out on if I don't have Animations checked?

Thanks again for everyones help!

Edited by Godsfunambulator