How to Install Plugins ×

Hexagonal Grid V4.1 (YMD:180415)

MadJik

It truly depends on where your browser defaults. Try right-clicking the download link and hitting "Save link as..." or "Save target as..." and then taking note of the directory it's saving to.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

thank you for making this grid i downloaded it a while back like last year i think and its my most used effected besides blur thank you very much for making this!!!!

king7272777siddy.png

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Heh. I thought I'd found a bug, at first, but then I realized I must have run it twice on the same layer.

wtfhex.png

Would make for an awesome "Magic" 3D image. Anyway, thanks a lot!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Totally.  I've still got one of these kicking around on my hard drive, three computers later...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 months later...

New version of HeaxGrid could be helpfull for this task.

http://jcljay.free.fr/pdn/HexaGrid.zip

Mini tuto:

1_make_a_grid.png

1. Make the background

Add a layer for the grid and a layer for the rivers

On the layer Grid run the effect Hexagrid:

- uncheck Anti-aliased

-check Spot Crossing (this will add a white spot

Then each segment of the grid could be slelected with the magic wand.

2_select_the_segments_for_te_rivers.png

2. With the magic wand select the segments and the dots to draw the rivers. Eventualy select hexagons for the lakes.

3_fill_the_selection_for_rivers.png

3.Choose a color for the rivers. Activate the top layer and press backspace to fill the selection.

3_copy_the_grid_and_make_it_all_black.pn

4. Add a new layer and redo the hexagrid without the spot crossing

4_add_more_textures.png

5. Finishing with more textures

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

No offence, but I prefer the old version of HexagonalGrid which still works with PDN v3.5.11. I use it to make a Gold or Chrome Hexagonal Grid. Nice of you to update just the same...

vSmDCEb.jpg 

• Like 2

69unju0.gif

New version of HexaGrid:

Update 2018-04-15:

-Color picker to select colors (more choice)

-dark theme

@dipstick No offence I can't handle older version of paint.net.

Instead this is a link to the source code if you want to compile it.

ar.png http://jcljay.free.fr/pdn/HexaGridSRC.zip al.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MadJik said:

@dipstick No offence I can't handle older version of paint.net.

I too have abandoned plugin development for paint.net 3.5. Paint.net 4 is around four years old, it's time to move forward.

My attempt

It is currently not possible for me to upload an image. This message appears:
"There was a problem processing the uploaded file. Please contact us for assistance."

What's the problem? The image to upload has 77 kb umpoad failed!

• 4 years later...

This produces pretty pictures and all, but the grid does not conform to its own settings, and considerable work needs to be done to it to make it the least bit accurate and usable as a drawing tool.

1. The size parameter should describe the distance from an edge to its opposite edge, starting at the designated edge of the image (top, left, right, bottom).

2. The origin should be specified in pixels from that designated edge of the image. The other dimension should have an equivalent offset you can specify.

3. The other dimension (east-west on a vertical, or north-south on a horizontal) should then be calculated from that value.

4. There should be an option to make the hexes either consistent (all the same width) or mathematically accurate (width varies by a pixel or so, since the ratio of height to width is half the square root of 3, an irrational number).

As is, not only does the size parameter NOT correspond to the actual size of the hex drawn, it can't be made to conform to a basic level of consistency. Frex, I specify I want hexes 120 pixels wide (horizontal), but they're actually less. I have to increase it to 138 or 139 to get close to the correct value of 120, but can't reach it - 138 is too small, 139 is too much, and if half-pixels were possible, even that might not be the correct position. The origin I could potentially correct by moving the layer, but this is an onerous extra step.

For purposes where precision is unimportant, this works just fine, but when I want specific hexes of a consistent size and origin offset, this tool is unfortunately of no value.

Edited by TheDS
extra information