Layering and plugin issues

My desktop uses Windows 7 and I don't have any issues with plugins on PDN. I get layers and tons of plugins just like I am using Photoshop/PaintShopPro. I got a new laptop with Windows 8 and I can't seem to get the layers to show up and half the plugins are missing. I have downloaded and put all my plugins in the effects folder and have troubleshoot until I'm practically blind. I also noticed that an updated version PDN downloaded to my laptop but I don't think it that is the issue. Any ideas before I loose my mind?

mpfavsongmichelle.png

Hi txmom - welcome :D

1.  Where did you download the plugins?  From this forum?

2. Please post a screenshot of the contents of your paint.net/Effects/ folder.  It may help diagnose some common ailments.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by having the "layers" missing.  Do you mean the Layers Window?  Is it missing or is the window too small to show all the layers in your image (hint: you can drag the sides of that window to increase the size).

4. I am assuming you are using paint.net 4? (look in the top left hand corner)

Hi txmom - welcome :D

1.  Where did you download the plugins?  From this forum?

2. Please post a screenshot of the contents of your paint.net/Effects/ folder.  It may help diagnose some common ailments.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by having the "layers" missing.  Do you mean the Layers Window?  Is it missing or is the window too small to show all the layers in your image (hint: you can drag the sides of that window to increase the size).

4. I am assuming you are using paint.net 4? (look in the top left hand corner)

Thanks for the welcome! I don't know how to do a screenshot. But I should explain a little more. I do graphics as a hobby and I use templates to help in designing. The templates are made up of layers with different shapes within each. I thought that downloading the PS for PDN file would help to see the layers for manipulation but it didn't. I'm not sure exactly what I downloaded for using layered templates and tubes on my desktop. I'm using 4.03 on the laptop.

Am I correct in thinking that your templates are a PSD (Photoshop) file? And you have downloaded and installed the Photoshop plugin to open the files?

Yes I did. I used the plugin link from here. I have downloaded the file, unzipped the file, put it in the effects folder and even unblocked them but I don't think that's the issue. There has to be something I'm not doing.