Freeze my PC when I write a huge resolution

Hi,

Maybe sounds a little bit strange but let me tell you my problem.

I have 8GB of RAM on my PC and I use more than 10 times / day to resize images.

I resize images in various resolution and I use keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+R to resize.

I wrote very quickly and sometime I forget to delete the old resolution and in this way I push enter and Paint.NET start to resize the photo at resolution with 8 numbers (in the printscreen you can see what i'm telling you).

When this is happen almost EVERY time my PC freeze. If i'm not mistake in the old version of Paint.NET you'll get a popup window that tells you that the resolution is to big.

Can you implement a popup warning in new version?

Thank you and my appoligizes for bad English.

Regards,

PS: Yes, the OK button from printscreen is not ACTIVE, but to be very quick I chose to push ENTER from keyboard and the "ENTER" is completely active and start the resize process which freeze PC.

post-123149-0-19165100-1414689894_thumb.

Edited by BetaUser

Wouldn't it be a case of paying attention to what you type in for resolution numbers?  I didn't think that  paint.net could handle resolutions that large. I also don't think many everyday computers could handle resolutions that large either. Kind of like asking a car to move a building. 

• Upvote 1

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Wouldn't it be a case of paying attention to what you type in for resolution numbers?

^^ this.

Should paint.net also have a prompt when you fill a region with green? Just to check you actually want green and not blue? I'm thinking users need to accept some responsibility for what they ask paint.net to do.

That said, I've never seen the popup our Questioner mentioned. If it does exist in the earlier version I see no reason why it should be disabled now.

There was never a popup.

If you press Enter too quick it will just use the old value and not end up actually doing anything. It won't actually try to use something like "10802048" for the new width or height, because that would be impossible. 65535 on either dimension is the limit imposed at many locations in the code. It would crash if it got past the Resize dialog's logic.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Maybe responders should take a little bit more time to understand the problems of a user?

Maybe not everybody is able to provide an exact technical description in a foreign language?

So be patient.

There was no popup, but Paint.NET 3.5.11 and 4.0 disable the OK button - while you are typing - if the value gets too large.

The difference is that in 4.0 Enter will be accepted.

And it is not the case that 4.0 does nothing. If I'm entering 80'000 x 1 then OK is disabled. But Enter starts resizing and after resize the statusbar shows 80'000 x 1.

midoras signature.gif

Thank you @midora for understanding me.

Your description is perfect.

Maybe responders should take a little bit more time to understand the problems of a user?

Maybe not everybody is able to provide an exact technical description in a foreign language?

So be patient.

There was no popup, but Paint.NET 3.5.11 and 4.0 disable the OK button - while you are typing - if the value gets too large.

The difference is that in 4.0 Enter will be accepted.

And it is not the case that 4.0 does nothing. If I'm entering 80'000 x 1 then OK is disabled. But Enter starts resizing and after resize the statusbar shows 80'000 x 1.