There was an error while saving the TIFF file.

When I try to work on a file & then save it I get the error: There was an error while saving the file.

The file will not save.

This is on a WIndows 8 system with Paint.net 4.03 with the latest downloaded version. 

I did a fresh install just before logging this to be sure that the version was the latest.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException (0x80004005): A generic error occurred in GDI+.

at System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)

at System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageFormat format)

at PaintDotNet.Data.GdiPlusFileType.Save(Document input, Stream output, Surface scratchSurface, ImageFormat format, ProgressEventHandler callback) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Data\GdiPlusFileType.cs:line 51

at PaintDotNet.Data.GdiPlusFileType.OnSave(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Data\GdiPlusFileType.cs:line 35

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Save(Document input, Stream output, SaveConfigToken token, Surface scratchSurface, ProgressEventHandler callback, Boolean rememberToken) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 284

at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.<>c__DisplayClass30.<DoSave>b__28() in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:line 2972

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Try(Action f) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 174

Rick can probably go right to the issue.  But, if he doesn't check-in... we'll need a little more info:

Does this happen with every image you try to save?

What was the size of the image you were trying to save?

What format where you trying to save to?

Was it trying to save to a normal drive or network drive, etc?

Did the image have layers?

I was trying to clean up scanned circuit  diagram image that I stiched together. 

The image is TIFF & 3.14MB in size saving back to TIFF after some cleaning up using the clone tool.

Is there anyway to find file size while within paint.net?

My system is 32 bit WIndows 8 saving to the C: drive

The image may have layers but I'm not using them yet.

The problem happens just about all the time.

Thanks,

Brian.

All file formats or just TIFF?  What happens if you save as a PNG for example?

TIFF support in Paint.NET has always been "good faith" (in other words, minimal: if it works, great! if not, sorry, but not going to spend energy to fix it ...)

Honestly the best recommendation I have is: please don't use TIFF.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• toe_head2001 changed the title to There was an error while saving the TIFF file.